Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Card / Cards discussion, issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA (physical or virtual) Gift Cards

Be aware of AA Gift Card Restrictions Prior to Purchase
"Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their gift cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555."

"Note: Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and oneworld® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. Gift Cards may also be used for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or Codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. In addition if a credit card is used in conjunction with Gift Card(s), the credit card must have a United States, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico billing address. Gift Cards may not be used for upgrades, Admirals Club membership enrollments, Admirals Club One-Day passes, AAdvantage Award Travel or other non-flight products and/or services sold on AA.com." Link

Link to full Gift Cards Terms and Conditions

You can buy either a plastic card and have it mailed or a virtual / electronic card delivered via email. Please see below for the differences between the cards to find the right one for you. Both options allow you to send a personal message with your gift. You can use up to eight (8) Gift Cards at one time toward the purchase of a ticket to hundreds of exciting destinations throughout the world. And, with no expiration date or fees.

Though gift cards have been non-refundable, some report they can be refunded to vouchers in at least some cases.
Print Wikipost

AA Gift Card / Cards discussion, issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
That does suck, but it's in the fine print on https://giftcards.aa.com so it's not like they don't tell you. Maybe you can re-sale them to someone in the US.
Yeah I'm sure it's there in the fine print. Just venting, I guess. :-(
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, it is not a big caveat. It is a term and condition, just like every other term & condition. If you do not carefully read them all, it will be the one which you do not read which gets you miss.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I did a search on google "sell gift cards for cash", lots of "hits", the first one listed http://sellmygiftcardsnyc.com/ does list American Airlines, you might try contacting them (or others in the list).
Most such sites buy from "you" at a discount, but you get cash upfront.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Can you book a US originating Y fare flight with no cancellation fee, cancel it for credit and then use that?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Antarius
Can you book a US originating Y fare flight with no cancellation fee, cancel it for credit and then use that?
thats a good idea !
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Most such refunds are "returned" to the ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT, so all you will get is another set of GCs with the same restrictions.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Most such refunds are "returned" to the ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT, so all you will get is another set of GCs with the same restrictions.
IIRC amounts paid by GCs are not returned as GCs, but as paper vouchers.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nrr
They should be issued as a voucher. However the voucher should have the same origin requirements.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I wonder why ... looking at the T&C's .... gift cards can't be used for admirals club memberships/passes or upgrades. It's all revenue to AA.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
... (I was flying from the Dominican Republic > NYC).
Another thought: You could look at paying cash for DR-MIA and then use the cards for MIA-NYC-DR.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Often1
No, it is not a big caveat. It is a term and condition, just like every other term & condition. If you do not carefully read them all, it will be the one which you do not read which gets you miss.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Are these old cards?

Does American still sell Gift cards at a discount? I used to purchase mine at Costco, but they stop offering the gift cards.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:23 am

If the restriction wasn't in the LISTING on ebay, then file an eBay dispute for item not as described. I don't think it's good enough for the seller to say "well the T&C were available at aa.com." You can argue that it has to be disclosed in the listing itself.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They should be issued as a voucher. However the voucher should have the same origin requirements.
However he will have an AA issued credit versus running the risk of having his original gift cards drained with little recourse after 45 days (card cash), 60 days (credit card dispute)
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lobo411
If the restriction wasn't in the LISTING on ebay, then file an eBay dispute for item not as described. I don't think it's good enough for the seller to say "well the T&C were available at aa.com." You can argue that it has to be disclosed in the listing itself.
This is what is in that particular listing. Unbelievable..

It is up to the buyer to research and review all of the particulars and restrictions surrounding this use of this card. I'm not a travel agent, and I can't help you use or redeem this in any way, shape or form.

All sales are final. Due to the nature of this transaction, I can only vouch for the fact that I haven't used the card, and am the original purchaser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.