Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Flying from JFK to FCO... Booking Class O... the offer to upgrade to business was 35,000 miles + $350. Is that reasonable? If not, is it based on availability or depended on the Booking class?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2017 at 7:42 pm Reason: add moderator note
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:46 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I understand that 25,000 +$300 is Standard AAward Price Payable for Miles + Cash upgrades from Discount Coach. Who and Where was this offer made to you? Full Fare Coach Fare upgrade is only 10,000 Miles. Upgrades are based on availability in 'C' Class.

Chart Link Here : http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...awardCopay.jsp
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by UncleDude
I understand that 25,000 +$300 is Standard AAward Price Payable for Miles + Cash upgrades from Discount Coach. Who and Where was this offer made to you? Full Fare Coach Fare upgrade is only 10,000 Miles. Upgrades are based on availability in 'C' Class.

Chart Link Here : http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...awardCopay.jsp
This information is out of date. The co-pay is $350, not $300; but yes, the number of miles should be 25k rather than 35k.

Current AAdvantage award upgrade chart: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I may have not heard correctly and it's possible that the upgrade was 25,000 miles + $350 (I'm pretty sure I heard that correctly). The booking class was O and not full fare so I guess the 10,000 mile upgrade did not apply.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Doesn't it make more sense to use SWU? I mean if you know how to get them.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pineapplejet
Doesn't it make more sense to use SWU? I mean if you know how to get them.
I don't even know what SWU is? Could you please elaborate?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
The booking class was O and not full fare so I guess the 10,000 mile upgrade did not apply.
I guess not as well. I would follow what it says on AA.com since this is the best source of information on the upgrade charges for AA.

The FAQ at the top of the page (where is says "Please check here first") has a section on Upgrades that also covers this basic information.

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't even know what SWU is? Could you please elaborate?
SWU's are otherwise known as EVIPS. These are given out to EXPs. These are upgrade certificates that you can apply to a flight on any fare to upgrade to the next level of service so Y->J or J->F

I'm guessing you aren't EXP.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Flying from JFK to FCO... Booking Class O... the offer to upgrade to business was 35,000 miles + $350. Is that reasonable? If not, is it based on availability or depended on the Booking class?
As already noted, the real cost should be $350+25k miles.

IMO, yes - particularly ex-JFK for the redeye.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Who and Where was this offer made to you?
I notice you have chosen not to answer this question in your reply since it was asked. It was asked for a reason, and a better answer to your question might be possible if you answered it.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
I notice you have chosen not to answer this question in your reply since it was asked. It was asked for a reason, and a better answer to your question might be possible if you answered it.
Sorry, I missed it. I called the reservations line and that's what they quoted me for an upgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Sorry, I missed it. I called the reservations line and that's what they quoted me for an upgrade.
telling you the established cost/terms (miles + $) is not the same thing as actually offering you the upgrade (which would mean that upgrade availability is there).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:20 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
...Upgrades are based on availability in 'C' Class...
I have read here that there's a correlation between seeing 'C' inventory and 'U' inventory - I'm not saying this is a fact, only that I've read it here.

But if true, you should know that 'U' inventory for JFK-FCO is really, really hard to come by these days - I check this inventory daily - for years now. (Yeah, I need a 12 step program for this stuff )
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
As noted in another post, it is 25K miles + $350.
Is it reasonable? Compared to what? The opinion of the value how much upgrades are worth varies quite a bit. For some, it is a matter of how many miles and/or how much money they have. I hate flying that far in economy, but I don't want to pay for a business class ticket. So, the trade off is what else would you do with the 25K miles and $350?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Upgrade with miles?

With US I would make the paid reservation then call reservations to upgrade with miles. Does AA work the same as US in regard to upgrading a paid coach ticket to first/business using miles? If not, how does it work and how do you do it? Do you still earn miles?

I tried searching for an answer but can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks,
Lydia

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.