Does AA not late check bags / baggage?

Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
So, here's the deal, to the best of my knowledge.

Positive Passenger Bag Match is a requirement when one is departing internationally. It is not a domestic (US50) requirement (unless it's in the airline's AOSSP, which is restricted from being viewed by passengers etc.). Once one's checked bags have been cleared by the TSA, they can go on different flights than the passenger they belong to. The difference is that in most cases the airline can choose whether to separate passengers and their baggage, whereas they might permit - or deny - a passenger's request to be separated from their baggage - but usually in cases of IROPS / OSO.

So it's still essentially an airline employee's choice, not a passenger's preference in this instance.

AA Conditions of Carriage state: "General acceptance of baggage
Only baggage as defined in the definition section will be accepted for transportation. All baggage is subject to inspection. Checked baggage will be accepted for transportation only on flights on which you are traveling. American will not accept baggage whose size, weight, or character makes it unsuitable for transportation on the aircraft as determined by American." (An agent could further interpret this to mean on your booked flights, unless they have reason to route baggage otherwise.)

However, airlines prefer to not do what the OP wants for another reason as well. What's that? Because most passengers whose bags aren't at the carousel will go fill out a missing bag report if they don't find them immediately. This report, once filed with the airline, becomes part of the FAA published late or missing bag statistics.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 2017 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by JDiver
So, here's the deal, to the best of my knowledge.

Positive Passenger Bag Match is a requirement when one is departing internationally. It is not a domestic (US50) requirement (unless it's in the airline's AOSSP, which is restricted from being viewed by passengers etc.). Once one's checked bags have been cleared by the TSA, they can go on different flights than the passenger they belong to. The difference is that in most cases the airline can choose whether to separate passengers and their baggage, whereas they might permit - or deny - a passenger's request to be separated from their baggage - but usually in cases of IROPS / OSO.

So it's still essentially an airline employee's choice, not a passenger's preference in this instance.

AA Conditions of Carriage state: "General acceptance of baggage
Only baggage as defined in the definition section will be accepted for transportation. All baggage is subject to inspection. Checked baggage will be accepted for transportation only on flights on which you are traveling. American will not accept baggage whose size, weight, or character makes it unsuitable for transportation on the aircraft as determined by American." (An agent could further interpret this to mean on your booked flights, unless they have reason to route baggage otherwise.)

However, airlines prefer to not do what the OP wants for another reason as well. What's that? Because most passengers whose bags aren't at the carousel will go fill out a missing bag report if they don't find them immediately. This report, once filed with the airline, becomes part of the FAA published late or missing bag statistics.
Late check means that I am asking that my bag be checked on to the flight I was booked on. There's nothing to interpret, this doesn't contravene the CoC in any way... It just means that I am okay if that my bag does not make my flight and I won't hold the airline responsible. Every other legacy does this and so does WN. DL I believe prints "late check" on the bag tag. UA I think has a sticker and WN has a bright orange tag they attach on.

I just want to know if there's an internal policy saying "don't offer to late check bags". I will write to AA and let you know the response (maybe it will be canned).
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:19 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I arrived pretty close to the deadline in TPA recently. This was a semi-complicated international itinerary, although the first flight was just to MIA. The check-in agent needed about 15 minutes to figure out whether I needed a visa (aggravating). She sorted it out after the bag check deadline. She wound up taking my bag, but was literally running around the terminal to find her supervisor to override the computer.

TPA is a super easy airport and security was very quick. About 5 minutes after checking the bag, I was at the gate ... and I walked up in time to watch my bag heading up the conveyor to the aircraft.

I get that this is AA's policy. I get that it isn't always quiet enough for a bag (or person) to get through security in less than 5 minutes. But AA knows exactly how long it takes to get a bag from check in to a plane - and it isn't 40 minutes at every airport.

Shame on AA for blindly enforcing a rule that unnecessarily inconveniences a passenger. Doubly so if AA then blames the passenger.

I'm paying AA to provide a service - not for the opportunity to be in their presence.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Executive
When it has been tight I have used curbside check in with a tip and things have made it fine. Now I realize this isn't a guarantee and isn't available everywhere, but knowing I was screwed at LAX (late arrival for traffic) everything turned out fine.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
The problem with expecting an airline to skirt around their rules and ignore the stated policy of time to check a bag, is that where does it stop?

This is not a discussion of having to travel with your bag, this is in relation being mad that AA didn't want to break their time policy in regards to bags. There is a reason things like this exist, the policy is what it is at the airport for a reason, a good reason.

I am telling you from someone who used to deal with bags like this. Many of you don't understand or have never seen what all goes into it. Same goes for when people get mad that the door closed at 10min prior and they were there at 8min prior. They exist for a reason.

I am not saying circumstances can't ever be looked at, I am not saying it won't ever be done, but that doesn't mean it should be expected.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by no2chem
I Arrive to check in counter after bag check deadline (Already checked in). Agent refuses to check bag onto later flight while maintaining my ticket, even though there is 40m before flight departs. She says the only way to check bag is to rebook onto later flight. After moving me to the later flight, she refuses to at least put me on standby on my original flight. I walk to the gate and have the gate agent put me back on the flight, reupgrading me back to the same seat... With plenty of time to spare.

Was the check in agent lazy? Or is this some AA policy. On WN late checking has never been a problem... Even had very short checked bags make it routinely.

A side note is that for some reason they only had one check in agent (SJC) and they kept skipping people in the priority lane for some reason. I get that I probably should have arrived earlier, but my annoyance at the failure to accommodate the lateness was exacerbated by the fact that I actually did arrive at the check in line 50-55 mins before the flight, it just took 15 mins to get to the counter, in a priority line no less.
​​​​
I arrived SFO (alrady checked in for fligt to DFW) last summer at T-43 minutes. Agents would not take my bags which contained a lot of alcohol. 40 minutes is NOT the cutoff. It is 45 for domestic. Sent my wife onward and proceeded to wait and ended up paying $400 to get a confirmed seat on the flight two flights later as I had a flight back out of DFW the following morning so could not afford tomplay the standby game and lose. Count yourself lucky. And use the self service terminals next time you are there 50-55 mins before the flight.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
The problem with expecting an airline to skirt around their rules and ignore the stated policy of time to check a bag, is that where does it stop?
I don't expect any favors. When I've done this in the past, the agent has been clear: "this is a late bag, it might not make it onto the flight with you." Okay, fine. I accept that. I accept the fact that if it doesn't make it, it's on me to get it from the destination airport when the next flight arrives, not expect a free delivery to the hotel.

This is what airlines have done for many, many years. There is no slippery slope. If I show up at T-44 at a tiny station where the plane is 50 feet away, the agent can still say "You're late. The bag might not make it." No risk to the airline.

The seems like a reasonable solution for both the airline and the traveler. And one that (apparently) most other airlines still regularly follow in places where positive bag matching is not required.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't expect any favors. When I've done this in the past, the agent has been clear: "this is a late bag, it might not make it onto the flight with you." Okay, fine. I accept that. I accept the fact that if it doesn't make it, it's on me to get it from the destination airport when the next flight arrives, not expect a free delivery to the hotel.

This is what airlines have done for many, many years. There is no slippery slope. If I show up at T-44 at a tiny station where the plane is 50 feet away, the agent can still say "You're late. The bag might not make it." No risk to the airline.

The seems like a reasonable solution for both the airline and the traveler. And one that (apparently) most other airlines still regularly follow in places where positive bag matching is not required.
That's not what AA does. Since this is the AA forum and the OP had the problem on AA, it really doesn't apply that "This is what airlines have done for many, many years"

For many many years airlines also did other things such as
  • mileage based bonus points not revenue based
  • meals in coach
  • refund with voucher when the price of your flight goes down after purchase
  • free checked luggage
  • not charge for aisle or exit seats
  • I could go on

Things change.

We have to learn the rules and policies and work within them, and like you said, don't expect any favors.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:57 am
TBD

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
...There is a reason things like this exist, the policy is what it is at the airport for a reason, a good reason.

... Many of you don't understand or have never seen what all goes into it.
I'd be interested to know what "good reason" AA to reject a bag at 45 mins when they know that bag transfers take less than 10 minutes.

You're right - we're pulling the "how hard can it be?" card and anyone with logistics experience is right to do so. We're moving a bag 100 yards, not processing intermodal cargo through foreign customs. The issue here isn't that airlines have top-secret time-warp baggage technology. The issue is that AA inappropriately applies policies that disadvantage their customers & AA doesn't empower their employees - both of which indicate that AA can't be bothered to provide a high level of service to customers.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
We have to learn the rules and policies and work within them, and like you said, don't expect any favors.
I laugh at your suggestion that we should just accept whatever terms a company wishes to impose on its customers.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by TBD
. The issue is that AA inappropriately applies policies that disadvantage their customers & AA doesn't empower their employees ...

I laugh at your suggestion that we should just accept whatever terms a company wishes to impose on its customers.
Great, so I'll laugh at your suggestion that "AA inappropriately applies policies". I guess that makes us even?

Dude, it's their airline, they have policies we may not like or think are unnecessary, but we're just here to try and navigate through them so we don't end up getting bumped to the next flight because we were 3 minutes late checking in.

If you don't like their policies, fly someone else's airline, but your not understanding why they need it doesn't make it "inappropriate"
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:17 am
TBD

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Great, so I'll laugh at your suggestion that "AA inappropriately applies policies". I guess that makes us even?

Dude, it's their airline, they have policies we may not like or think are unnecessary, but we're just here to try and navigate through them so we don't end up getting bumped to the next flight because we were 3 minutes late checking in.

If you don't like their policies, fly someone else's airline, but your not understanding why they need it doesn't make it "inappropriate"
You're my favourite kind of customer if you'll accept whatever conditions I propose without challenge.

I do have sufficient knowledge to evaluate their policy and deem it inappropriate.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by TBD
You're my favourite kind of customer if you'll accept whatever conditions I propose without challenge.

I do have sufficient knowledge to evaluate their policy and deem it inappropriate.
But what difference does that make? Are you saying that because you deem it inappropriate that it changes whether AA will, or won't, check a late bag on a routine basis? Or, to be helpful to others who might read this thread in the future, are you suggesting that there is another option for AA customers?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TBD

This is new one.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:55 am
TBD

Originally Posted by sbrower
But what difference does that make? Are you saying that because you deem it inappropriate that it changes whether AA will, or won't, check a late bag on a routine basis? Or, to be helpful to others who might read this thread in the future, are you suggesting that there is another option for AA customers?
It is my evaluation of this incident and AA's position.

But - fair point - to be practical ... my response was to take my ~75k miles per year to another airline. Rather than proclaiming that there's nothing to be done and accepting poor service, spend your money at companies that value your business.

Last edited by TBD; Feb 15, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TBD
It is my evaluation of this incident and AA's position.

But - fair point - to be practical ... my response was to take my ~75k miles per year to another airline. Rather than proclaiming that there's nothing to be done and accepting poor service, spend your money at companies that value your business.
This is all you needed to say back several posts ago.

If AA sets a T-60 bag drop policy and DL is at T-45 and all other factors (price, convenience, thread count of the hot towels) are the same, you should fly DL.

This becomes a bit harder when there are trade-offs. Would you trade a shorter bag drop for a better quality hot towel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.