Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Aug 12, 14, 10:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with our existing thread discussing AA paper vouchers. /Moderator
Old Aug 17, 14, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Just come off the phone from a very long multi-hold conversation with the AAvantage desk. I have vouchers worth in excess of the fare for the itinerary I have on hold. "Supervisor' has told me that I must pay for the flights in full with a credit card then mail the vouchers in and they will refund the value to my credit card and issue a new voucher for the residual amount.

I'm no expert on this process but am I right in thinking that advice is completely incorrect?
Old Aug 17, 14, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
Just come off the phone from a very long multi-hold conversation with the AAvantage desk.
Why are you talking to the AAvantage desk? The wiki instructions above are very clear on the steps to take to have vouches applied.
Old Aug 17, 14, 8:47 pm

Just come off the phone from a very long multi-hold conversation with the AAvantage desk. I have vouchers worth in excess of the fare for the itinerary I have on hold. "Supervisor' has told me that I must pay for the flights in full with a credit card then mail the vouchers in and they will refund the value to my credit card and issue a new voucher for the residual amount.

I'm no expert on this process but am I right in thinking that advice is completely incorrect?
Well, it's possible that procedures have changed recently - but I've never heard of the scenario you described!

Normally, it's just like the wiki says: put your flight on hold, call AA and have them start the process to have it ticketed via voucher. Mail your voucher to the appropriate office. Upon receipt of your voucher, they'll go through the ticketing process, backing out any necessary taxes based on the type of voucher you have. Then in your case, the remaining balance would be put onto a new voucher (which expires 1 year from the issue date of the NEW voucher) that will be mailed to you.
Old Aug 17, 14, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thumbun View Post
It seems that technology has evolved to point where all of this could have been done online. Over the years, UA has issued numerous coupons to me as "leftover" change for canceled/changed flights. I'm always able to apply them online. AA's system is a bit of a hassle. Not sure what other airlines do.

Keeping with the technology theme, I might add that while I like the look of the AA website and app., I find it to be less user friendly and powerful than UA's.

All in all, still more relaxing and pleasureable (so far) to fly AA, but wanted to vent a bit and see if there were other options that I was not aware of.
Originally Posted by fanger View Post
Yes it's annoying.

The other option is to place an itinerary on hold on-line, then call in later to set up for the mail-in or go in to the airport/ticket desk. Not sure of Admiral's club staff or behind-security customer service desks can do it.
Actually, the AA paper voucher system has one HUGE advantage over UA's e-Cert.

When you book a flight against AA's paper voucher, any residual value you get back a NEW paper voucher with a NEW LIFE for another year. When you book a flight against UA's e-Cert, any residual value still sits on that e-Cert PIN and still subject to the same expiration date.

On top of that, you can use more than one AA paper voucher on one booking. You can use only one UA e-Cert on one booking.

For those who happen to have large value instruments from canceled flights, the AA paper voucher definitely is preferred. (talking from own experiences).
Old Aug 17, 14, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by todd-r View Post
Why are you talking to the AAvantage desk? The wiki instructions above are very clear on the steps to take to have vouches applied.
Because when I called the reservation number in the UK they said they couldn't process the voucher because it, like every voucher I've ever known, is in $US and the fare is in UKŁ. It was actually they who put me through to the AAdvantage desk.

It seems to me that very few agents have the remotest idea how to handle that scenario properly and the instructions are some way off as clear even to AA agents as you seem to believe. The solution would be to pay compensatory vouchers in the same currency as the original fare ticket but that appears to be beyond AA's capabilities.

Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
Well, it's possible that procedures have changed recently - but I've never heard of the scenario you described!

Normally, it's just like the wiki says: put your flight on hold, call AA and have them start the process to have it ticketed via voucher. Mail your voucher to the appropriate office. Upon receipt of your voucher, they'll go through the ticketing process, backing out any necessary taxes based on the type of voucher you have. Then in your case, the remaining balance would be put onto a new voucher (which expires 1 year from the issue date of the NEW voucher) that will be mailed to you.
Thanks for that. The process you describe is how I understand it as well.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Aug 17, 14 at 11:14 pm
Old Aug 18, 14, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
I had booked a flight within the past 6 months or so where it included AA Codeshares on CX. They accepted a voucher for partial payment but did do the 'charge in full to CC, refund when voucher was received' song & dance. I wonder if they only do that on codeshares in excess of the voucher amount. Not sure how I was able to do it, but I definitely recall doing exactly that and being charged in full in advance and then being refunded when the vouch was received & processed.
Old Aug 19, 14, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
I had booked a flight within the past 6 months or so where it included AA Codeshares on CX. They accepted a voucher for partial payment but did do the 'charge in full to CC, refund when voucher was received' song & dance. I wonder if they only do that on codeshares in excess of the voucher amount. Not sure how I was able to do it, but I definitely recall doing exactly that and being charged in full in advance and then being refunded when the vouch was received & processed.
Interesting. My itinerary also included a codeshare flight (BA) so maybe they utilise this approach in those circumstances where otherwise the voucher couldn't be used.

Maybe I've been a bit unfair to AA here.
Old Aug 24, 14, 11:32 am

That's not my experience and I justy booked two weeks ago, I could not get the tax coveted however but I will just call refunds people closer to time.

Old Aug 29, 14, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I have a $500 paper voucher that expires 29 August 2014, it was issued 30 August 2013.

I took a picture of the voucher and saved it on my phone, and then disregarded the original paper. I have now learned (1) the voucher must be mailed in (2) takes 12 days to process the mailed in voucher. I would not of thrown away the original if I knew it needed to be mailed in.

I have two questions (1) can I mail in a printed copy of the voucher picture (2) does the voucher envelope need to be postmarked today, or just the reservation made today.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 29, 14, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Is it time to worry? Not ticketed in last 10 business days

I have a 9/15 reservation (simple all AA-metal domestic ticket) that's been pending ticketing for over 3 weeks. I followed the suggestions on here and mailed it in via Certified Mail. It arrived at the Milton, FL location on Monday, August 18th and was told by AA twitter team that they will get to it based on how soon the flight is.

Is it normal to have to wait more than 10 business days to get ticketed? What do I do if they've lost it in their own processing queue?

I have been mindful of document well so:

- Have a photocopy of the physical paper voucher
- Photocopy of letter along with ticket number from which the voucher came
- USPS Certified Mail Receipt
- USPS.com confirmation of delivery on 8/18/14

It's frustrating that this process is so arcane and stuck in the 1960s.
Old Sep 1, 14, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
How to use AA paper voucher?

This past Friday my buddy and I experienced something I've never experienced on a flight - a downgrade. The whole situation in itself and the way it played out is rather suspect and best for a different post. In the end AA not only refunded the difference in fare class, but also issued my buddy and I two $300 vouchers each. However, the GA who issued them said that these are basically like a "check," and that if we lose them they cannot be replaced. They were printed on ticket stock.

When I've received vouchers on DL I get a small packet with the voucher, but the voucher also is in my SkyMiles profile online. I have an AAdvantage number, so am confused as to how to use these and why they just aren't a part of my online account. Can I still book tickets with them online? Do I have to go to the airport? Call a reservation agent?
Old Sep 1, 14, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
AA has both paper and electronic vouchers. To use the paper voucher - you'll need to figure out what flights you want to take, call AA and give them the voucher #, they'll apply the amount to the ticket - and then you need to mail the voucher to AA.

You may also be able to do it at the airport - but I always opt for phone/mail.
Old Sep 1, 14, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
AA has both paper and electronic vouchers. To use the paper voucher - you'll need to figure out what flights you want to take, call AA and give them the voucher #, they'll apply the amount to the ticket - and then you need to mail the voucher to AA.

You may also be able to do it at the airport - but I always opt for phone/mail.
Wow, sounds like 1990. Why would an agent give frequent flyer members a paper voucher as opposed to electronic? Such a hassle IMO for the customer to have to now mail the vouchers in.
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:08 am

Merged with our existing thread about AA paper vouchers. Please see the wiki for detailed instructions on how to use your vouchers. Thanks. /Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: