Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Mar 30, 14, 7:47 pm

guys - I know AA terms state that eVouchers aren't transferable but can I book a ticket for a friend using one? Online, when I go to use the voucher, it asks me for passenger 1 info and it seems I can put any name

Also, can I combine 4 vouchers for a single ticket?

thx
Old Apr 6, 14, 6:13 pm

Do you know if I can use an American Airlines voucher to buy a flight in Iberia or British airways?
Old Apr 6, 14, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by reydmus View Post
Do you know if I can use an American Airlines voucher to buy a flight in Iberia or British airways?
Seriously? Did you even read the info above?

>>>

What can I use the vouchers on?

Airfare on American Airlines/Eagle/Connection, codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
Old Apr 6, 14, 6:35 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 4:14 am
Old Apr 7, 14, 4:19 pm

confused about extending expiring eVouchers

I have a $100 eVoucher that will expire next month.
I read that if you purchase something very cheap that is refundable then cancel it, you get the leftover amount back?

So am I correct in thinking that if purhcased a $40 refundable ticket and then cancel it, I will only get $60 back in form of a new eVoucher?

Why can't I get the entire $100 back?

Old Apr 7, 14, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
There's no such thing as a $40 refundable ticket.

The leftover amount is after the $200 change fee, so in your case there is no leftover amount and you are out another $100.

Book a cheap trip somewhere for a weekend, think of it has a 50% coupon.
Old Apr 7, 14, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsmith View Post
Thanks for moving the above. I searched and did not come across this thread which is very helpful. I am now confused as I have 2 people saying that if i use my paper voucher it will not be refunded if i cancel a fully refundable flight as it will have gone over time , but i see in this thread some think a new voucher with new dates would be sent.

Can any one clarify for me?

many thanks
I have vouchers from canceled tickets. Whenever I book a refundable ticket with the voucher, I get back a NEW voucher when I cancel the refundable ticket. The NEW voucher has the 1 year validity date from the date it is issued - that of course, is the date I cancel the refundable.

I do not know whether there is a difference on voucher issued in your situation.

But those who claim the voucher does not get a new life is completely lack of knowledge of how voucher works (to use kinder words than what I would have liked.)
Old May 1, 14, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (from CC), Lifetime SkyClub
The "new" address in the Wiki (for mailing paper vouchers) is still correct as of 1 May 2014.

And my first segment on Alaska, an AA codeshare, wasn't an issue. They treated the whole itinerary as though it was on AA.
Old May 9, 14, 7:00 am

So I mailed two letters with vouchers to Milton they received Apr 19. Tickets are still pending. First travel is not until Sep. Anyone have any recent turnaround times to report?
Old May 9, 14, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DealsRock View Post
So I mailed two letters with vouchers to Milton they received Apr 19. Tickets are still pending. First travel is not until Sep. Anyone have any recent turnaround times to report?
No recent report from me but I can tell you that they process in order of flight date, not in order of receipt (hence the need to put that info in the return address). At less than 3 weeks from mail date and with a flight that isn't until September, I wouldn't be worried about it yet.
Old May 12, 14, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by DealsRock View Post
An update ... Sep tickets were issued today, the 16th business day after their receipt of vouchers. Now I can try to adjust the major schedule change and await the residual voucher for another trip I need to book. Feb ticket not yet issued.

Another update ... Feb tickets were also issued today. Perhaps they are in more of a FIFO order right now.

Last edited by DealsRock; May 12, 14 at 2:02 pm
Old May 22, 14, 2:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
So I have a question regarding residual value and vouchers, neither of which I've dealt with before (believe it or not). I had a round trip flight last year from SEA to EYW that I had to cancel before I took the flights. I paid 235.20 for the flights, and they were bought on americanairlines.co.uk and ticketed by AA in Dublin last August. What I'd like to do is use whatever residual value is on that ticket to fly LHR-SEA, but there's a twist (isn't there always?). I also have a voucher, denominated in US Dollars, that I'd like to also apply to the ticket. The voucher was issued as a partial refund for a trip in vain which was purchased the exact same way (AA's UK website, tickets in Dublin, paid in sterling). The value is listed around US$400.

Between the two I figure it'll knock out a decent chunk of the international flight, but knowing my luck I'm sure that I can't just go to Heathrow with my voucher and the ticket number and PNR for the cancelled SEA-EYW and use them both for the new flight. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on whether this is possible? Am I breaking some rules regarding changing origin/destination, using different currencies, changing country of origin, etc.?
Old May 29, 14, 2:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
So I have a question regarding residual value and vouchers, neither of which I've dealt with before (believe it or not). I had a round trip flight last year from SEA to EYW that I had to cancel before I took the flights. I paid 235.20 for the flights, and they were bought on americanairlines.co.uk and ticketed by AA in Dublin last August. What I'd like to do is use whatever residual value is on that ticket to fly LHR-SEA, but there's a twist (isn't there always?). I also have a voucher, denominated in US Dollars, that I'd like to also apply to the ticket. The voucher was issued as a partial refund for a trip in vain which was purchased the exact same way (AA's UK website, tickets in Dublin, paid in sterling). The value is listed around US$400.

Between the two I figure it'll knock out a decent chunk of the international flight, but knowing my luck I'm sure that I can't just go to Heathrow with my voucher and the ticket number and PNR for the cancelled SEA-EYW and use them both for the new flight. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on whether this is possible? Am I breaking some rules regarding changing origin/destination, using different currencies, changing country of origin, etc.?
Last call for ideas/suggestions/thoughts?
Old Jun 2, 14, 8:57 pm

I have am AA ticket expiring in two weeks for a trip I couldn't take (I have a change fee). If I use that ticket to buy a refundable ticket and cancel it will I get a voucher back and will it be 12 months from the date the voucher was issued? Or will it be a voucher from the date of the original ticket purchase? Or will I not get a voucher at all, and it just go back to my old ticket which expires in two weeks?

Edit: just talked to American CSR and they said refundable ticket or not, the money used from the old ticket would be lost if I cancel the new one. What say you?
Old Jun 3, 14, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post

Just to be clear, do you have a physical paper voucher for your trip-in-vain, and just a ticket number for your canceled SEA-EYW flight?

If I have my facts right (and I'm like 75% confident in my answer here), I think it can be done at LHR. There aren't any rules I know of that forbid using different currencies, and the vouchers/residual value are used just like cash, not locked into a particular routing.

I give it a fair chance that if you put your desired itinerary on hold online, then make the trip to the LHR ticket counter, they should be able to complete ticketing.

Another way could be to call the UK Web Services people, have them apply the residual value, then do the mail-in method for your voucher. This actually may be my first attempt if I lived far away from LHR.

Hope you report back with what happens or if any new info comes out, I'm just curious now!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: