Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Dec 30, 15, 11:32 am
  #391  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Posts: 331
VDB voucher questions

I recently took a bump on Xmas day and received a $500 voucher from AA. I am planning on buying 2 ORD-SFO tickets on a single PNR. The total cost for the two tickets is $715. My plan is to put them on hold and then ticket at ORD when I'm there tomorrow. My questions are as follows:

1) Are there ticketing fees associated w/ ticketing at the airport when using a VDB voucher? If so, has anyone had any luck in getting them waived as it is not possible to use these vouchers online? If there are fees, are they the same if mailing them in instead?

2) Can i pay the remaining balance of $215 w/ AA gift cards?

Thanks very much for any help. I called AA and got several different answers from several different agents....none of whom seemed very confident in their answers.
chicago747 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 15, 3:48 pm
  #392  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,446
Please read the wiki at the top of the page to start with.
JDiver is offline  
Old Dec 30, 15, 5:01 pm
  #393  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC, SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,840
Originally Posted by chicago747 View Post
I recently took a bump on Xmas day and received a $500 voucher from AA. I am planning on buying 2 ORD-SFO tickets on a single PNR. The total cost for the two tickets is $715. My plan is to put them on hold and then ticket at ORD when I'm there tomorrow. My questions are as follows:

1) Are there ticketing fees associated w/ ticketing at the airport when using a VDB voucher? If so, has anyone had any luck in getting them waived as it is not possible to use these vouchers online? If there are fees, are they the same if mailing them in instead?

2) Can i pay the remaining balance of $215 w/ AA gift cards?

Thanks very much for any help. I called AA and got several different answers from several different agents....none of whom seemed very confident in their answers.
1) You will have to pay a ticketing fee at the airport if you are not EXP. I don't believe you have to if you mail in the voucher. However, there is some risk that the voucher can get lost in transit, and it takes much longer overall.

2) I don't see why you couldn't use a gift card to pay the remaining balance.
flyingeph12 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 15, 5:51 pm
  #394  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 248
I don't believe gift cards can be used at the airport, believe it or not. I recently bought some gift cards and it seemed to only be through AA or the reservations number. I also don't believe you would have to pay the ticketing fee at the airport since it is a voucher.

Here is the footnote from my recent VC purchase.
American Airlines Gift Cards are only redeemable at AA.com or with American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.


Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
1) You will have to pay a ticketing fee at the airport if you are not EXP. I don't believe you have to if you mail in the voucher. However, there is some risk that the voucher can get lost in transit, and it takes much longer overall.

2) I don't see why you couldn't use a gift card to pay the remaining balance.
charlesonmission is offline  
Old Dec 30, 15, 6:20 pm
  #395  
21A
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,299
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
You mention calling - who did you call? Just general AA customer service?
At the time (well pre-merger) it was the refunds desk, apparently in Tulsa, at 918-254-3777. It looks like the function has moved to Phoenix and that number is now disconnected, so apologies for the false lead on that front
Nonetheless, I think sending it to a refund specialist with a clear explanation is what you want to do. It seemed that the folks handling refunds specialized in ticketing issues, reading through the fare calc lines, etc whereas the general reservations line did not.
21A is offline  
Old Dec 30, 15, 6:39 pm
  #396  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC, SFO
Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,840
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
I don't believe gift cards can be used at the airport, believe it or not. I recently bought some gift cards and it seemed to only be through AA or the reservations number. I also don't believe you would have to pay the ticketing fee at the airport since it is a voucher.

Here is the footnote from my recent VC purchase.
American Airlines Gift Cards are only redeemable at AA.com or with American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.
I stand corrected. Sorry. It looks like the ticketing fee policy was changed a few years ago.
flyingeph12 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 6:37 am
  #397  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by chicago747 View Post
I recently took a bump on Xmas day and received a $500 voucher from AA. I am planning on buying 2 ORD-SFO tickets on a single PNR. The total cost for the two tickets is $715. My plan is to put them on hold and then ticket at ORD when I'm there tomorrow. My questions are as follows:

1) Are there ticketing fees associated w/ ticketing at the airport when using a VDB voucher? If so, has anyone had any luck in getting them waived as it is not possible to use these vouchers online? If there are fees, are they the same if mailing them in instead?

2) Can i pay the remaining balance of $215 w/ AA gift cards?

Thanks very much for any help. I called AA and got several different answers from several different agents....none of whom seemed very confident in their answers.
First a change is terms will help a lot. If you book your flights on AA.com and place them on hold, you will not be doing the ticketing at the airport but rather just paying for the tickets.

There are no fees for paying for the tickets with a voucher, as that can not be done online.

Also, be very careful using the voucher at the airports. This is a bump voucher and should be type DV which means taxes should be adjusted and many TAs don't know how to do that right. There are specific directions on their terminals, but many don't bother to read them and they will say they have been doing them (wrong) for many years!
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 8:19 am
  #398  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DAY
Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Also, be very careful using the voucher at the airports. This is a bump voucher and should be type DV which means taxes should be adjusted and many TAs don't know how to do that right. There are specific directions on their terminals, but many don't bother to read them and they will say they have been doing them (wrong) for many years!
I took a voucher to the airport and it took a while, but everything went well. I got a LUS agent who understood that she didn't know how to do it. As a result, she called the AA help desk and got the right guidance. Whole thing took about 20 minutes, which was a small price to pay for knowing it was done right.


Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 17 at 8:15 am Reason: Add moderator note
T. Sanderson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: