Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Sep 2, 15, 3:36 am
  #316  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6
HI Dancingbear

I have a 1000$ DV voucher as well, and trying understand how much I'd eventually have to pay on top of the voucher, if I order a more expensive ticket.
Is is still valid that the Base fare is compared to the voucher value to determine which taxes should be paid or not?
(http://flyerguide.com/Vouchers_%28AA%29 )

e.g. a flight from BRU-ORD has following details Total 1040$.

Base fare $653.00 USD
Per person
CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $237.90 USD

EMBARKATION TAX $32.30 USD
BELGIUM
PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $48.80 USD
UNITED KINGDOM
TRANSPORTATION TAX $35.40 USD
UNITED STATES
US APHIS USER FEE $5.00 USD
UNITED STATES
PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE $9.00 USD
UNITED STATES
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE $7.00 USD
UNITED STATES
US SECURITY FEE $5.60 USD
UNITED STATES
US CUSTOMS USER FEE $5.50 USD
UNITED STATES

Total Adult taxes and carrier-imposed fees
$386.50 USD



=> Which of the above should not be counted, and what will the eventual total costs taken out of the 1000$ voucher ?
tx for the help!
migub
migub is offline  
Old Sep 5, 15, 12:29 pm
  #317  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6
hi guys


called the AA hotline, and got a nice agent, that explained to me that yes, probably some taxes would be waived, but after I pay the total difference ?
so I had a ticket of 1400$, with a voucher of 1000$ and he said I had to pay 400$, and that by when they receive the voucher, taxed could be waived?

Shouldn't it be substracted, before I pay ?

tx
migub
migub is offline  
Old Sep 6, 15, 7:56 am
  #318  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LON
Programs: AA
Posts: 71
Recent experience redeeming voucher (UK office)

Living in the UK, I was asked to submit my AA travel voucher to a Liverpool address for processing. My flights are scheduled for 10 weeks time.

I mailed in the voucher using a recorded post service. The envelope was properly formatted with identifying information (my last name, first flight #, travel date, PNR).

I was counting on the process to be heavily delayed, reflecting AA's competencies and recent experiences in this thread. However the vouchers were processed immediately; I was ticketed (and my credit card was billed) one business day after I mailed in the voucher.

This was very inconvenient, as I was planning on leveraging the anticipated delay to get extra time to pay the credit card company, and to take advantage of a fare roll-over, should that situation arise.

Who do I write to at AA for compensation for this efficiency? I would reluctantly take another voucher if needs be.
RupertC is offline  
Old Sep 6, 15, 8:07 am
  #319  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by RupertC View Post
Living in the UK, I was asked to submit my AA travel voucher to a Liverpool address for processing. My flights are scheduled for 10 weeks time.

I mailed in the voucher using a recorded post service. The envelope was properly formatted with identifying information (my last name, first flight #, travel date, PNR).

I was counting on the process to be heavily delayed, reflecting AA's competencies and recent experiences in this thread. However the vouchers were processed immediately; I was ticketed (and my credit card was billed) one business day after I mailed in the voucher.

This was very inconvenient, as I was planning on leveraging the anticipated delay to get extra time to pay the credit card company, and to take advantage of a fare roll-over, should that situation arise.

Who do I write to at AA for compensation for this efficiency? I would reluctantly take another voucher if needs be.
I truly hope you are joking about compensation, but this is FT so anything can happen. Compensation due: zero.

However, I do believe all the posts here were regarding the FL, USA processing office AA uses so applying the same beliefs to all AA offices would be weak at best. Maybe we need to split this thread to specify which office is being used.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 15, 10:47 am
  #320  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LON
Programs: AA
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
I truly hope you are joking about compensation, but this is FT so anything can happen. Compensation due: zero.

However, I do believe all the posts here were regarding the FL, USA processing office AA uses so applying the same beliefs to all AA offices would be weak at best. Maybe we need to split this thread to specify which office is being used.
Yes, the compensation claim request was my little joke.

I was pleased that in my case it all got done promptly. I had inferred from other posters upthread that the UK office was processing vouchers on a priority basis linked to day of departure. In my case the voucher was processed immediately, which contradicts that position.

I mentioned my experience to allay concerns of voucher holders directed to mail in to Liverpool, UK.

Just be sure to use a recorded mail service for the voucher, and properly format the envelope with the requested details.
RupertC is offline  
Old Sep 6, 15, 1:35 pm
  #321  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Posts: 4,346
Red face

Originally Posted by RupertC View Post

I was pleased that in my case it all got done promptly. I had inferred from other posters upthread that the UK office was processing vouchers on a priority basis linked to day of departure. In my case the voucher was processed immediately, which contradicts that position.

I mentioned my experience to allay concerns of voucher holders directed to mail in to Liverpool, UK.

Just be sure to use a recorded mail service for the voucher, and properly format the envelope with the requested details.
I'm also UK based and had couple of high value vouchers recently. As I don't live far from Liverpool I took the precaution of taking them by hand. It turned out that the address is actually US Airways' UK call centre. I was told that all they do is scan the vouchers (around 150 a day) and send them on electronically to a ticketing office.

As you say, they process it all very promptly and my held reservation was also ticketed within 24 hours. Quite impressive.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Sep 7, 15 at 8:32 pm
Blueboys999 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:07 am
  #322  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by migub View Post
hi guys


called the AA hotline, and got a nice agent, that explained to me that yes, probably some taxes would be waived, but after I pay the total difference ?
so I had a ticket of 1400$, with a voucher of 1000$ and he said I had to pay 400$, and that by when they receive the voucher, taxed could be waived?

Shouldn't it be substracted, before I pay ?

tx
migub
I went to the AA counter in Brussels Airport, but they are still 'US-Airways', and can't do anything to help me locally ...
So I called the US nr again, and when giving my credit card, they couldn't process it, due to non US billing address.
Calling the Liverpool nr, and a nice lady was able to process the vouchers, the credit card, and remove the taxes (though this wasn't a huge amount ...).
Have to mail the voucher to Liverpool, as no AA.com in Belgium... yet.

migub
migub is offline  
Old Sep 7, 15, 8:34 pm
  #323  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Posts: 4,346
Originally Posted by migub View Post
Calling the Liverpool nr,
You did well to find a telephone number for it. Took me around 6 calls to other AA offices to get the right one.
Blueboys999 is offline  
Old Sep 8, 15, 4:54 pm
  #324  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,496
Called EXP desk last week to book an int'l flight in the beginning of October and the AAgent said that I had "until the 10th [of September]" to get my voucher in. Mailed it late last week (USPS estimated it would be delivered today, Tuesday) and now I'm starting to sweat a little. Do I need to call in on the 10th to ensure that my reservation isn't cancelled?

Also, I read in the Wiki that the traveller must call BusinessExtra to "have the voucher applied." I put a BE number into my reservation. Does this mean that I have to call BE as a requirement for ticketing of my reservation, or can I call BE at a later time after the reservation is ticketed?

I've never used one of these before, so I just want to make sure that I don't wreck my trip over lack of knowledge.
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 15, 10:41 am
  #325  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,496
T-2 weeks before departure and still no "ticketed" status. The voucher has been in their hands for a while now. Starting to get a little more nervous...

Will report back when I get results.
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 15, 11:08 am
  #326  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: RIC
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
T-2 weeks before departure and still no "ticketed" status. The voucher has been in their hands for a while now. Starting to get a little more nervous...
Mine was ticketed properly ~36 hours prior to departure so 2 weeks out doesn't necessarily mean there are any problems. I was told on (several) calls there is nothing they can do to expedite until 48 hours prior to departure. For reference, gold status and I tried to elevate to no avail.
bqkali is offline  
Old Sep 17, 15, 2:14 pm
  #327  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,496
Originally Posted by bqkali View Post
Mine was ticketed properly ~36 hours prior to departure so 2 weeks out doesn't necessarily mean there are any problems. I was told on (several) calls there is nothing they can do to expedite until 48 hours prior to departure. For reference, gold status and I tried to elevate to no avail.
Thanks for the data point, I at least feel like my situation is more "the norm" now. That's scary (and borderline unacceptable, but that's another story) that your trip didn't get ticketed until T-36h.

I've heard different things (i.e. AAgent can ticket over the phone at T-2 weeks, no dice until T-48 hours, etc), and I'll probably call sometime toward the end of next week. Lesson learned: go to the darn airport.
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 15, 9:37 am
  #328  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,496
Update:


Reservation successfully ticketed around 0100 this morning at less one week before departure. Somewhat surprising that the reservation would come through early on a Sunday morning, but I'm not complaining .

The voucher was mailed in a little less than one month ago (first week of September).
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 15, 1:34 pm
  #329  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: UA, AA, DL
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by ahlaker View Post
Just got off the phone with AA phone agent and supervisor. Long story short: they would like me to pay full price for the ticket then mail in my vouchers to receive refund back on card once vouchers processed.

Needless to say I'm concerned about this approach as it flies in the face of previous experience and all the documentation in this thread. The reason being quoted is that I'm not flying on AA operated flight (my itinerary is YYC-LON on BA operated flight). I've booked and held on AA.COM and I definitely have AA flight numbers.

In addition, the address they've given for voucher mailing is different than the one quoted here and used previously (for AA codeshare flights I might add).

I have some comfort given that I was sent a direct email by the supervisor quoting their internal policy.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
I'm in the same situation (AA codeshare on BA metal) and was given the same procedure by a supervisor. I'm also concerned because it's different from how everyone else has done it (ie pay first, then send in vouchers hoping for a refund back on the card).

How did it work out for you? Anyone else done it this way?
zerovector is offline  
Old Sep 27, 15, 6:45 pm
  #330  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,629
Originally Posted by zerovector View Post
I'm in the same situation (AA codeshare on BA metal) and was given the same procedure by a supervisor. I'm also concerned because it's different from how everyone else has done it (ie pay first, then send in vouchers hoping for a refund back on the card).

How did it work out for you? Anyone else done it this way?
I would go to an airport ticket desk before paying upfront and waiting for a refund.
todd-r is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: