Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
I am trying to book a flight from London to LA and want to use a voucher I got from AA for it.

From what I understand, I should make and hold the reservation on the AA site, then call up AA to give them the voucher code number.

They are supposed to recalculate the taxes...right? Or am I wrong? Because when I asked the agent to, she simply had no idea what I was talking about, and when she went to speak to her supervisor, she was none the wiser....

Is there something about the taxes needing to be calculated because the voucher is tax exempt? Or am I missing something here?
It depends upon why the voucher was issued. If it's a DV type voucher, then you should NOT have to pay taxes on that portion. Many TAs do not know how to do them right and IME are not willing to learn. I've even had AC AAngels send me back to the TAs because they didn't want to do them. I did find an AAngel in ORD that knew what she was doing so I held all my vouchers until flying through there.

The other sad part is typically the tax portion was credited back onto the voucher so they kept getting a diminishing value. Once below a few bucks, just wasn't worth the hassle.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Thanks for this. What is a DV voucher? I got the voucher after complaining about poor service and delays on multiple sectors.

Would this be a DV voucher?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
Thanks for this. What is a DV voucher? I got the voucher after complaining about poor service and delays on multiple sectors.

Would this be a DV voucher?
If it's a paper voucher you should see DV around the number and the fare basis box. Typically issued when Denied Boarding Voluntary. DV are effectively giving you a free flight, whereas the others are merely a refund type and not tax free.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Thanks for clarifying that! All makes sense now
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:27 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merging with our existing voucher discussion thread. Please also refer to our thread wiki for further information. /Moderator
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:46 pm

What can I do with expiring low value travel voucher?

Similarly I have $200 AA voucher that I will not use.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by TZ12345
Similarly I have $200 AA voucher that I will not use.
You have Private Message...
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:03 am

Practical question on use of others paper vouchers

So our family of four recently received paper vouchers for a cancelled trip. I have read the FAQ's and understand that I can use multiple vouchers towards one future ticket. My question is with respect to the voucher holder being present either in person or on the phone to apply to another persons ticket.

If I wanted to use my voucher and my 9 year old sons voucher towards one future ticket just for me-do they really need to talk or see the 9 year old? Especially since I purchased all 4 of our original tickets one single credit card in my name as well? Any experiences? Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by chfenton
So our family of four recently received paper vouchers for a cancelled trip. I have read the FAQ's and understand that I can use multiple vouchers towards one future ticket. My question is with respect to the voucher holder being present either in person or on the phone to apply to another persons ticket.

If I wanted to use my voucher and my 9 year old sons voucher towards one future ticket just for me-do they really need to talk or see the 9 year old? Especially since I purchased all 4 of our original tickets one single credit card in my name as well? Any experiences? Thanks.
Last year I bought tickets to Hawaii under one PNR for three people: Me, MrQ and a German friend. Our return flight was delayed a day. Upon return, we all three asked for some compensation. AA send e-vouchers to me and MrQ, living in the USA. They sent a paper voucher to the German guy.

I have now bought three new tickets under one PNR for the same three people and applied the German guy's paper voucher. They said there would be "no problem", and I was instructed to send the paper voucher to the address in Florida. It was me that phoned in to move the tickets from "Hold" to "Purchased" with my credit card, and to apply the paper voucher.

That was in January for a March 23 flight.

The ticket status was "Unknown" through the rest of January and the first part of February. On Feb 16, the status changed to "Ticket Pending" and today, March 10, it is still "Ticket Pending". I have called several times, and always get the same answer.

"They have received your voucher in the mail, but are behind in processing the paperwork. Just be patient. It should be just a few more days."

In answer to your question, I don't think they will require the 9-year old to be present in order to process the voucher. They did not require my German friend to get on the phone or anything like that.

My next question, for anyone who knows: Is it normal for the ticketing process for paper vouchers to be SO DARN LONG? We are less than two weeks away from departure and I still don't have a ticket number.

PS: Why would anyone in their right mind accept a paper voucher for VDB or anything else if redeeming it is such a hassle?

ETA: We are finally Ticketed. They did it yesterday 3/10/15 and I saw it last night.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Mar 11, 2015 at 6:58 am
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:05 pm

AA paper voucher process time?

Hello,

Does anyone know the AA paper voucher process time? I mailed my voucher with certified mail. The mail was delivered on 3/2/2015. My online ticket is still showing "Ticket Pending". I called AA. The person answered the phone just told me to wait for a few more days. How long is the process time? Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by la2015
Hello,

Does anyone know the AA paper voucher process time? I mailed my voucher with certified mail. The mail was delivered on 3/2/2015. My online ticket is still showing "Ticket Pending". I called AA. The person answered the phone just told me to wait for a few more days. How long is the process time? Thanks.
The further out your travel date, the longer it will take.

Once the voucher is received and the reservation is ready for ticketing, they go in order of travel date, rather than in the order of when the voucher was received. So further out the travel date, the longer it will take. nothing you can do about it but wait it out.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:28 pm

Unhappy

I am afraid that the voucher got lost even though it was certified mail.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
AA paper voucher process time?

I just went through this process.

"Ticket Pending" means they have received the paper voucher and it is awaiting processing.

I got "Ticketed" 13 days before departure, even though I made the reservations and mailed the voucher 2 months before departure.

It's really aggravating!!! Just like you, I called and was told "wait a few more days".
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by la2015
I am afraid that the voucher got lost even though it was certified mail.
Has AA told you this? If you call AA the agent should be able to tell you whether the voucher has been received and if it's simply awaiting ticketing.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I got "Ticketed" 13 days before departure, even though I made the reservations and mailed the voucher 2 months before departure.

It's really aggravating!!! Just like you, I called and was told "wait a few more days".
The benefit of late ticketing is you lock in the price, but can change the reservation without penalty prior to ticketing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.