Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources to 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources to 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hurnik
I didn't see this scenario covered in the wiki, but:

Let's say you are booked on Award ticket for Business/FC
Let's say AA has an irrops or does an equipment swap to a single-class plane.

What happens?

In the past, on PAID (Y-UP) tickets, AA has refused to re-route on a plane with 2-class cabin (because "you didn't pay for an FC ticket"). Example: ALB-PHL was 2-class they swapped equipment, now you're on single-class. AA refused to allow an ALB-DCA or ALB-CLT or ALB-ORD without paying for the fare difference (original itinerary was say, ALB-MIA).

Thanks!
Miles are redeposited. Whenever you get your miles redeposited, you'll be angry at how few were redeposited as the differential between F and Y on that segment, but you will get them.

No experience with invol downgrades on -UP fares. But that totally sounds like an AA move to say "it's just a coach fare", even though almost every one of them is sold alongside a lower available coach fare, giving the passenger the expectation that he/she is paying for F service.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:27 am

Exclamation AA cancellation/rerouting DCA-LGA instead of JFK

AA from DCA on Tuesday May 28 was a mess. Probably a frequent problem, but not for me -- I had a flight out of JFK, but after cancelling my 14:15 DCA-JFK flight, they put me on flight to LGA, sat on the tarmac while defueling, landed at LGA 17:15. Then took taxi for rush hour run to JFK for 19:00 overseas flight. Requesting AA refund of tix ($150) plus taxi fare - the stress, etc is on me. Any hope on this?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tlvyyz
AA from DCA on Tuesday May 28 was a mess. Probably a frequent problem, but not for me -- I had a flight out of JFK, but after cancelling my 14:15 DCA-JFK flight, they put me on flight to LGA, sat on the tarmac while defueling, landed at LGA 17:15. Then took taxi for rush hour run to JFK for 19:00 overseas flight. Requesting AA refund of tix ($150) plus taxi fare - the stress, etc is on me. Any hope on this?

Missing some information:

What was the reason given for the DCA-JFK cancel?

was the international flight out of JFK on the same PNR as your DCA-JFK flight? Was it on AA?

Did you ask about a taxi when you accepted the reroute to LGA?

​​
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:29 am

Reason for cancellation of DCA-JFK "ground conditions" (weather was a factor, ATC delays, etc.)

International flight on a differnt PNR and airline (not recommended, but unavoidable in this case)

At DCA, most the AA personnel were less than helpful -- they simply read from the AA rulebook. Flights to LGA and elsewhere were being delayed left and right, and AA personnel were overwhelmed, took no initiative, etc. There was no one to talk to. I tried calling, eventually go through to a call center somewhere in the world where English was not a first language, and again got the AA rulebook with zero assistance.
Not a good performance to understate the case.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Flights to LGA and elsewhere were being delayed left and right, and AA personnel were overwhelmed, took no initiative, etc.
Sounds as though there was little, if anything, they could do, -- lots of passengers affected with few remedial options.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Just to clarify - did you make your flight?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I tried calling, eventually go through to a call center somewhere in the world where English was not a first language, and again got the AA rulebook with zero assistance.
OT.
AA has a call center outside of US for US base customers?? I had called hundreds of times in the last 10 years, I may had encountered a not so helpful rep, but never experienced a call center rep outside of US. Maybe I "WAS" VERY lucky. New AA?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Reason for cancellation of DCA-JFK "ground conditions" (weather was a factor, ATC delays, etc.)

International flight on a differnt PNR and airline (not recommended, but unavoidable in this case)

At DCA, most the AA personnel were less than helpful -- they simply read from the AA rulebook. Flights to LGA and elsewhere were being delayed left and right, and AA personnel were overwhelmed, took no initiative, etc. There was no one to talk to. I tried calling, eventually go through to a call center somewhere in the world where English was not a first language, and again got the AA rulebook with zero assistance.
Not a good performance to understate the case.
Was the international flight on a oneworld carrier? If so, AA was obligated to protect you -- if you informed the DCA staff of that fact. If the international flight was not on a oneworld carrier, or if it was and you failed to inform AA staff at DCA of that fact, then I doubt you will get anywhere with AA.

In any event, why should AA refund your airfare? You accepted AA's offer of transportation to an alternate airport. If you had refused that, then I think you would be entitled to a refund for the cancelled flight.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This happened to me on the reverse routing and AA paid for my cab to go from JFK to LGA FWIW.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:38 am

The inability of the AA staff in DCA to deal with the situation was striking. It was as if they never had passengers from a cancelled flight before and had no idea what to do. I live overseas and generally avoid domestic US flights -- anything out of the ordinary results in chaos.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Did you or didn't you make the flight you were supposed to connect to?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The inability of the AA staff in DCA to deal with the situation was striking. It was as if they never had passengers from a cancelled flight before and had no idea what to do. I live overseas and generally avoid domestic US flights -- anything out of the ordinary results in chaos.
From what I have heard, DCA is not AA's best and finest of stations. I haven't had issues with bad service flying in and out of there though.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:50 am
Suspended

Right, but as guv1976 asks-- did you advise them of your onward international flight?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Still trying to get my head around this bit of time travel.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Still trying to get my head around this bit of time travel.
I'm guessing March 28. That was a Tuesday, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.