Closing door and mobile devices

Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Closing door and mobile devices

Had a fight last night out of MIA was running a little late which I was actually glad so got to watch the 4th quarter of the super bowl. When we boarded the game was going to overtime. Many were watching and monitoring the game on their mobile devices. When the door was closed someone asked if they could keep the device on till takeoff and the FA says no as interference from the device could cause the pilot to take off on the wrong runway. Did she actually mean that. When a plane lands you are allowed to use a mobile device in non airplane mode and the pilot still has to communicate with air traffic controllers till the aircraft gets to the gate. I assume the main reason why mobile devices have to be put in airplane mode when the door is shut as they want passengers to pay attention to the safety demonstrations. Yes this aircraft did have WiFi so you have monitored the game there.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Feb 6, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
When a plane lands you are allowed to use a mobile device in non airplane mode
This is not correct. You have to put mobile devices in airplane mode below 10,000 feet for both takeoff and landing.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
This is not correct. You have to put mobile devices in airplane mode below 10,000 feet for both takeoff and landing.
After the plane has landed you are permitted to use the mobile device. They make that announcement, or at least they used to. I don't pay much attention any more and do not have a need to have it on immediately after landing.
That said, you are supposed to comply with the crew members instructions.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
As discussed on a number of threads in different FT forums, the regulation is not an FAA safety regulation. It is a Federal Communications Commission regulation meant to protect the national cell system from disruption caused by phones rapidly switching towers. The FAA specifically states that it does not regulate the use of cellular phones. Though, it could be argued that airlines are required by the FAA to enforce their rules, and most airlines have a rule that you have to turn off cellular functions from when the door is shut until after the airplane has landed.

Here is the link to the FCC regulation:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx....1.1.2.8.27.12

There is a note that says that the FAA regulates the use of cell phones on the ground, but, in fact, the FAA does not actually have any regulations.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is incorrect both on AA's safety & security policy (which then becomes FAA rule once filed and accepted by FAA) and the underlying impact.

The safety & security policy is that small devices go into airplane mode from the "cabin door closed to 10,000" on departure unless the Captain permits or requires otherwise.

Needless to say, trying to get passengers to pay attention has nothing to do with this as passengers may still watch off-line video.

The failure to follow a crewmember instruction may constitute a criminal offense or result in a civil penalty of up to $11,000.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Often1
The safety & security policy is that small devices go into airplane mode from the "cabin door closed to 10,000" on departure unless the Captain permits or requires otherwise.
I cannot disagree with you about what the AA policy actually says, as I do not have access to it. However, I have never, on any airline, heard an announcement that it's OK to turn your phones on above 10,000', even though the FCC would allow it. I have heard many times that cellular functions must be turned off until "the plane has landed at our destination."
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I cannot disagree with you about what the AA policy actually says, as I do not have access to it. However, I have never, on any airline, heard an announcement that it's OK to turn your phones on above 10,000', even though the FCC would allow it. I have heard many times that cellular functions must be turned off until "the plane has landed at our destination."
You won't get any cell service at 10k. It actually cuts out way lower than that. Airplane mode is acceptable however.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Enjoy increased productivity and talk time on the ground before you depart and after landing as you taxi to the gate. You may use your cell phone, laptop computer, and other electronic devices onboard until advised by the flight crew, but please note that use of cell phones is not allowed during flight.

Please keep these things in mind during taxi, takeoff and landing:

- Put small devices in airplane mode and either hold or place the device under your seat
- Laptops and other large items cannot be held and should be turned off and put away
My read:

Devices must be put in flight mode, and large devices stowed, once you're underway from the gate. Small devices can continue to be used.

Large devices can be removed from storage and used above 10K. All devices must stay in flight mode.

Under 10K feet, large devices must again be stowed.

Upon landing, you can activate the cellular service on your small devices and continue to use them. Large devices must remained stowed through taxi to the gate.

If Captain/FA provides commands that contradict this, you must follow them, regardless of how dumb they sound (like "the Captain may take off from the wrong runway" )

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 6, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Airlines that have mobile service cells on board that allow phone calls in flight, do allow phones to be on. AA has no such service though
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
After the plane has landed you are permitted to use the mobile device. They make that announcement, or at least they used to.
Oh, I didn't understand OP correctly and they meant while taxiing after landing.

However, I don't think the policy as posted by CPRich actually allows this. It seems to say that devices must be in airplane mode while taxiing on both ends of the journey, which means no football game.

Starting at 10K feet, large devices can also be used and small devices can have non-cellular wireless services like WiFi and Bluetooth turned on.

But I do agree in practice no one seems to care about how you use your phone while taxiing after landing.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bchandler02
You won't get any cell service at 10k. It actually cuts out way lower than that. Airplane mode is acceptable however.
Not true. I've left my cell on before and have received calls at 35k feet. Not great signal mind you, but it can come through.

It won't cause pilot to takeoff on wrong runway, but can cause issues during takeoff. The FA isn't going to know if you turned it off or not since they'll be buckled up. Thus they insist you do it before taxi. ]
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I guess that depends how you define "service". The other month I forgot to put one of my cellphones in Airplane Mode between LHR and JFK and got T-Mobile welcome texts from Ireland and Canada.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Rules vary from country to country once the cabin door is closed. However, knowing the configuration of the two main runways at MIA, I'd say it would take a pretty confused flight deck crew to confuse which runway they're supposed to be heading to...just as at LAX when it's parallel runways on either side of the central terminal complex!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Airlines that have mobile service cells on board that allow phone calls in flight, do allow phones to be on. AA has no such service though
AA may not but with wifi calling nowadays it is possible to use your phone in flight. As I discovered accidentally when I didn't have my phone in airplane mode on a 32B the other day and someone called me.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
... When the door was closed someone asked if they could keep the device on till takeoff and the FA says no as interference from the device could cause the pilot to take off on the wrong runway.
I sat next to a commuting pilot (corporate jet charter, not AA) last week and asked him what the deal was with the claim that "cell phones could interfere with the flight navigation system". He laughed and said that it doesn't work that way. If there is a phone in cellular mode, and it's within the first few rows near the cockpit, the most they can get is a little interference or squawk in their headset. Navigation, or any other flight systems are unaffected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.