FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Leaving AA, mileage expiration and e500s (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1819490-leaving-aa-mileage-expiration-e500s.html)

outwrdbound Feb 2, 2017 10:37 pm

Leaving AA, mileage expiration and e500s

Hi all. It looks like I will be going full-circle and heading back to DL starting 15-March. My company's travel policy and preferred vendors will change beginning 15 March and they have dropped AA and WN as preferred vendors and added B6 (AC, DL and UA continue to be preferred). So with the change I will be saying good bye to AA. I was thinking about switching to DL or UA anyway due to finding myself more and more on LUS A320/321s with no MCE, no power and a missed UG, but now I am being forced to switch.

So my question is this: is any activity in my AAdvantage account enough to keep miles from expiring? I am thinking a simple AAdvantage dining purchase or something similar once in a while. Would that be enough or do i need actual flight activity? The website indicates anything, but the EXP desk told me a minimum of 4 flight segments per year. Which is it? Also, what happens to my 42 unused e500s? My father-in-law still has a quite a few from back in the 90's but he is LT Gold. I will probably post in the DL and UA forums, but any thoughts on UA vs DL? I am UA silver by way of Marriott PP, and UA has denied my request for a status challenge/match since I already have status with them, albeit unearned. Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

lobo411 Feb 2, 2017 10:43 pm

Any mileage accrual will preserve your miles. It could be AA dining, AA retail, charges on a mileage earning AA branded card, etc...

The stickers are preserved and will be available for use when/if you get status again.

outwrdbound Feb 2, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks. I wonder why the EXP desk would insist on 4 segments each year. I thought that was a bit odd. With current bookings, I will at least have Gold all of next year. If AA is cheaper i can still use them, but I doubt it will be enough to go beyond Gold as DL and UA are typically a little less expensive on the routes I fly.

JDiver Feb 2, 2017 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by outwrdbound (Post 27858448)
Hi all. It looks like I will be going full-circle and heading back to DL starting 15-March. My company's travel policy and preferred vendors will change beginning 15 March and they have dropped AA and WN as preferred vendors and added B6 (AC, DL and UA continue to be preferred). So with the change I will be saying good bye to AA. I was thinking about switching to DL or UA anyway due to finding myself more and more on LUS A320/321s with no MCE, no power and a missed UG, but now I am being forced to switch.

So my question is this: is any activity in my AAdvantage account enough to keep miles from expiring? I am thinking a simple AAdvantage dining purchase or something similar once in a while. Would that be enough or do i need actual flight activity?

ANY activity that generates (or donation of miles) extends the life of your miles by 18 months - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

The website indicates anything, but the EXP desk told me a minimum of 4 flight segments per year. Which is it?

��B.S. The four segments rule applied (only) to status and ended this year.

Also, what happens to my 42 unused e500s?

As long as your account is in good standing, the "stickers" will await your return to AAdvantage status. That's the only thing you can do with them.

My father-in-law still has a quite a few from back in the 90's but he is LT Gold.

Your father-in-law can use them any time there is availability.

I will probably post in the DL and UA forums, but any thoughts on UA vs DL? I am UA silver by way of Marriott PP, and UA has denied my request for a status challenge/match since I already have status with them, albeit unearned. Thanks in advance.

This forum is not the best place to inform yourself: the DL and UA fora are the best.

Cheers.

pa3lsvt Feb 3, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by outwrdbound (Post 27858474)
Thanks. I wonder why the EXP desk would insist on 4 segments each year.

Because that was the rule (must have 4 AA marketed/operated segments per year to earn status), prior to the current qualifying year started 1/1/2017 when it was dropped.