Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrades (2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
500 mile upgrade certificates not issued to EXP elites

This has been discussed in the past numerous of times. Basically it boils down to revenue, and also to allow GLD & PLT the possibility of upgrades as well. I believe UA & DL offer complementary upgrades to elite companions, and lower level elites complain about not being able to upgrade.
There is only so many seats available.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by arollins
DL offer complementary upgrades to elite companions, and lower level elites complain about not being able to upgrade.
There is only so many seats available.
Can't speak for UA's, but DL's program puts all elites, even the highest tier, at the very bottom if they are with a companion.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, EXPs need them for companions, but their travel is comped. The Plt/Gld need them for their own travel. Sounds fair to me, but then I'm LTG.

Now the thing to watch is if you are close (within 7500 miles) of reaching the 10K by the end of the window, call in to see if they will issue fewer than 4. Every little bit helps.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, EXPs need them for companions, but their travel is comped. The Plt/Gld need them for their own travel. Sounds fair to me, but then I'm LTG.

Now the thing to watch is if you are close (within 7500 miles) of reaching the 10K by the end of the window, call in to see if they will issue fewer than 4. Every little bit helps.
I don't mind using 500 mile certificates and, even more so, buying them if I don't fly enough to earn them every 10k miles to upgrade companions, but I still believe I should be entitled to earn them for flying every 10k miles even while being EXP.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jktraveler
I don't mind using 500 mile certificates and, even more so, buying them if I don't fly enough to earn them every 10k miles to upgrade companions, but I still believe I should be entitled to earn them for flying every 10k miles even while being EXP.
Given that EP members can get complimentary upgrades on all eligible flights, does not seem unreasonable at all that they do not earn additional 500 mile upgrades too.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that EP members can get complimentary upgrades on all eligible flights, does not seem unreasonable at all that they do not earn additional 500 mile upgrades too.
Yes, this last. There is no companion upgrade provision on AA and EP / EXP get unlimited complimentary "domestic" upgrades so there's no need for complimentary 500 mile upgrades for EPs.

Not a few EPs begin their EP careers with a stash of 500 milers anyway.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If you want numbers, consider you do actually get the upgrades every time your flight is upgraded, it's just that they are used at the same time. So if you get upgraded on 50% of your flights, then flying 10K, upgraded 5K, requires 10 upgrades that are granted and burned at flight time. So instead of only earning 4, you got 10! And you want more? Something about cake and eating it too come to mind.

Yes, it's a numbers game. And there's no one better at it than AA! If it was me, I'd be asking for mileage towards upgrades for those flights that I did not get upgraded (including those paid J/F). That sounds like a good compromise to reward EXPs when upgrades are not used. But I doubt they will be making any changes soon.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:54 pm

If you want numbers, consider you do actually get the upgrades every time your flight is upgraded, it's just that they are used at the same time. So if you get upgraded on 50% of your flights, then flying 10K, upgraded 5K, requires 10 upgrades that are granted and burned at flight time. So instead of only earning 4, you got 10! And you want more? Something about cake and eating it too come to mind.

Yes, it's a numbers game. And there's no one better at it than AA! If it was me, I'd be asking for mileage towards upgrades for those flights that I did not get upgraded (including those paid J/F). That sounds like a good compromise to reward EXPs when upgrades are not used. But I doubt they will be making any changes soon.
I guess I will just keep on flying in coach until I reach EXP tier and save those certificates for the rainy day. It's my understanding they do not expire, or do they? Potential change in 2016 is EQD requirement.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I will just keep on flying in coach until I reach EXP tier and save those certificates for the rainy day. It's my understanding they do not expire, or do they? Potential change in 2016 is EQD requirement.
Currently they do not expire. And keep in mind you can buy them with miles if you really need to.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:06 pm

Currently they do not expire. And keep in mind you can buy them with miles if you really need to.
8 500-mile upgrades for 35,000 miles? No, thank you. I will rather pay $30 or $240 for the 8 if I need them.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why? If concerned , then when upgrading another passenger , if lack of 500 mile upgrades is an issue, get the other person to pay the fee. Seems odd to just not use them just because you wont earn additional when holding EP status.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As a recent [forced] transfer from an infinitely more simple program, you need to realize the concept of a "500-mile upgrade" is, at best, archaic, and more likely something spawned in the 1970s or thereabout.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why? If concerned , then when upgrading another passenger , if lack of 500 mile upgrades is an issue, get the other person to pay the fee. Seems odd to just not use them just because you wont earn additional when holding EP status.
I think it depends on who is the companion. But you are probably right - keeping them just for the sake of keeping doesn't make much sense. I have several domestic flights coming up before reaching EXP status so will try to use some of them. Will test upgrade success rate for platinum status at the same time.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Been covered other times, but it still gripes me. I was EXP for a number of years when I started flying AA, so no stickers even though I flew >120,000 each year (almost all TPAC). Then, when I dropped to PLT last year, I had zero stickers in my account. If I had been PLAT all along, I would have had many. I even asked AA if there could be some way to back credit PLATs when they drop from EXP the number they would have had; of course, told no. And, as an aside, I got exactly three complementary domestic upgrades and lost all my global upgrades since I was never able to use them (I tried, but wasn't able to get even one flight where they could be used).
Old May 28, 2015, 11:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GaryZ
As a recent [forced] transfer from an infinitely more simple program, you need to realize the concept of a "500-mile upgrade" is, at best, archaic, and more likely something spawned in the 1970s or thereabout.
Pretty much; they were really stickers back in the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.