Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
This is the first time that I'm hearing about being able to drop the first/last segment of an award.

Can someone point me to the exact location on the AA website where I can find more info on this?
closest you'll come is this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27590238-post5000.html
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
Another 4 seats opened on Dec 22 LAX-HKG cx897 in business. You may want to avoid the mini cabin if you book these, my 3 kids will be up there ;-)

There are some good odds for other flights on Dec 21-22 open up some more business class space, right now they are showing 9s in most buckets and there are 5-7 PE awards showing for many of the flights.

Also, intra Asia flights over Christmas are opening up nicely as they start firming up allocation of specific aircraft. Dec 23 flight from HKG-SGN switched to A359 and a boat load of business awards opened up, allowing us to get rid of a short overnight at the HKG airport and arrive in SGN a day early.
Any chance of anything opening up for DEC 16 or 17th? I've been looking for both in J and F and it seems those exact days nothing is opening up from any gateway to hkg.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Sizook
Any chance of anything opening up for DEC 16 or 17th? I've been looking for both in J and F and it seems those exact days nothing is opening up from any gateway to hkg.
I'm looking for the same in F - right now, it's slim pickings (and slim just left town). Loads don't look great on those days - F is mostly full on the LAX flights I've been eyeing.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think that Dec 20-21-22-23-24 is going to be the sweet spot, but you better jump and not wait. There are F seats on several days, 2 for some flights and on Dec 22 there are two F on the 8am flight and another 2 F on the 11am flight. I think for prior to that date, they have opened pretty much all the award space they will open already... But Dec 14 is showing one F for LAX-HKG on AA metal and Dec 17 has one on JL metal through NRT.

I am bummed we never figured out how to ticket so as to get into F for old level. We have 2 F open now on our flight, but I can't stomach paying 55k additional miles per ticket from pre-deval J rate.

Also- there is next to nothing in award space coming back from HKG-US on CX around New Years, but see the premium MR forum, SEL-NYC F on JL metal w AA flight numbers is pricing at $2800 roundtrip with 12 month return validity. At $1400 each way, definitely a better deal than using 110k miles. Books into F, so gets around any availability problems unless the cabin is fully sold out.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I have an upcoming flight next week on an 11am flight on F. Hoping to switch to one of the redeyes a day or two earlier...much prefer the redeye flights!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
quick question. I'm EXP myself, and called AA to reserve a CX business seat for my father HKG-LAX for February, and he will be travelling by himself. Was charged tax and a $40 booking reservation fee. I asked the agent to double check if the booking fee can be waived, she checked, and confirmed that since I won't be travelling with my father, the booking fee applies. Is she right?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm using my AA miles to book a CX flight.

Last edited by greasy; Dec 12, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Is it a CX or AA metal flight? I realize you are posting in the CX thread but then again this is the AA forum.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Is it a CX or AA metal flight? I realize you are posting in the CX thread but then again this is the AA forum.
Using my AA miles to book on CX metal.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Your experience doesn't match mine at all. I've called the Plat line to book my father's CX award travel (using his AA miles), and haven't been charged booking fees.

In any case, I think a $40 phone booking fee is incorrect, since it's not possible to book CX inventory online.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by greasy
quick question. I'm EXP myself, and called AA to reserve a CX business seat for my father HKG-LAX for February, and he will be travelling by himself. Was charged tax and a $40 booking reservation fee. I asked the agent to double check if the booking fee can be waived, she checked, and confirmed that since I won't be travelling with my father, the booking fee applies. Is she right?

The fee should be waived for everyone as CX can't be booked online
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:20 pm

I just canceled LAX to HKG first class seat for December 18, 2016. I don't see it back in inventory yet. It was the 8:25 A.M flight.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agent is definitely wrong. AA has waived telephone booking fee on partner awards that cannot be booked online for everyone. No status needed. You could even find this info on AA website in the past.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#awardcharges

Right under the fee table, in small print - the 1st item with the bullet dot -

The AA Reservations Ticketing Service Charge will be waived for all members redeeming miles for awards that cannot be booked on aa.com

Though AA does not make this an automatic process - from what I understand the agent has to manually uncheck the default phone booking fee option.
Still, cannot believe after the policy has been in place for a year or more there would still be agent making such error.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 12, 2016 at 8:09 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;

I ran into this type of mistake with AA before. Just call in and ask the next agent to refund that $40. Most AAgents know this and it should be sorted for you quickly.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
CX885 on Dec 24, now showing 7 business class awards available. Arrives in HKG at 6:55pm on Dec 25... I guess just in time for a Christmas dinner ;-)
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
I ran into this type of mistake with AA before. Just call in and ask the next agent to refund that $40. Most AAgents know this and it should be sorted for you quickly.
Thx for the advise. Just called back and got the $40 refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.