Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Just changed the date of my pre-devalued award ticket, ORD - HKG - BKK. I also chose RJ on HKG-BKK segment, it was on cx. Agent wanted to charge me more miles and $150 claiming that because of the carrier change. I asked for the supervisor and also she claimed that I gotta pay up but she put me on hold to double check.

30+ minutes later, she said I was right and proceeded to charge me $1.10 more for taxes.
After months of being flummoxed by how it was possible for agents to give such radically different answers on this, an answer emerged. Of the several sections that deal with changes to these awards, there's on that has the heading:

Changes To Tickets With Awards That Expired On 22MAR16
Milesaaver Awards: American or All-Partner
It then goes on to start one of the conditions as "If only a date and time change..." in two places. So, if they stumble upon that section first (and/or if that's their preconceived notion) they might-- no fault of their own-- state that that's all that's allowed.

Other sections clarify that other changes are, indeed allowed. But-- not to make excuses for the mess AA has made for it's agents-- in many cases the agents are only citing a section they can't be blamed for citing.

Now, WE all know what's allowed due to the sections I've posted over time and then our collective experience with same and the promises that AA made to Gary, et al as the changes were being announced.

But, finally, I understand why some agents end up giving the "wrong" answer at first.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:52 am

I received a voice msg from AA saying due to an equipment change, they were only flying a two cabin plane from DFW-NRT. We were in F which I booked before the devaluation. When I called them, They said I would not be credited any miles due to the involuntary downgrade to J because the new award rates are higher! What should I do?
I would love to fly anything other than AA to get me to Asia since I'm continuing to KUL, but it will be hard to find space since we are two in F and 3 in J.
I also found CX not opening up remaining f seats last summer. My husband was in F and they wouldn't open anything up to AA miles. It flew with two seats empty in f and I sat in J.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sizook
I received a voice msg from AA saying due to an equipment change, they were only flying a two cabin plane from DFW-NRT. We were in F which I booked before the devaluation. When I called them, They said I would not be credited any miles due to the involuntary downgrade to J because the new award rates are higher! What should I do?
I would love to fly anything other than AA to get me to Asia since I'm continuing to KUL, but it will be hard to find space since we are two in F and 3 in J.
I also found CX not opening up remaining f seats last summer. My husband was in F and they wouldn't open anything up to AA miles. It flew with two seats empty in f and I sat in J.
Sounds like they are flying a 787, personally I would see if they can get you on the JAL 787 with the business sky suits. Regarding the miles, I would think that AA has down graded the aircraft they should give you some miles back.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Sounds like they are flying a 787, personally I would see if they can get you on the JAL 787 with the business sky suits. Regarding the miles, I would think that AA has down graded the aircraft they should give you some miles back.
DFW-NRT is flying with refurbished 772's.

By rights (and common sense), if this flyer accepts the downgrade to J, he/she is due the mileage difference between F and J pre-devaluation. There should be no question, but (as very frequently discussed on this board), many agents don't know this/are too lazy to look into this, so one must HUACA until one gets the correct answer, or else escalate to a supervisor.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
DFW-NRT is flying with refurbished 772's.
By rights (and common sense), if this flyer accepts the downgrade to J, he/she is due the mileage difference between F and J pre-devaluation. There should be no question, but (as very frequently discussed on this board), many agents don't know this/are too lazy to look into this, so one must HUACA until one gets the correct answer, or else escalate to a supervisor.
I still think they should take the JAL 787
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:22 pm

In the same situation:

Originally Posted by sempervivum
My JFK-HKG (J) - MNL (F) route booked at pre deval F had a plane change, so now that HKG-MNL is a 2 class flight now, changing my class to J for that as well. I haven't been refunded any miles (yet), my record locator is the same, so presumably the whole route is still an "F" booking.

If an F seat opens on the JFK-HKG, will I experience push back upgrading?
I am in the same situation with LAX>HKG>BKK. Booked HKG>BKK pre-deval in F hoping to upgrade LAX>HKG to F in the future.

By trying to be prepared for upgrading later by calling in now and asking if I've still got an F ticket and can upgrade later, I wonder if I run the risk of them saying "it says 'F' but let me fix that" and downgrade my ticket to J.

If I didn't call in now and just waited until an F seat was available on BKK>HKG and called in and tried to upgrade to it pretending that nothing had changed, and if the whole ticket still shows as F, then perhaps they won't see anything fishy and just give me the upgrade.

Essentially, how do I know if my ticket is still 'F' without asking an AA rep?

Have you called in?

Thank ya.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones
I am in the same situation with LAX>HKG>BKK. Booked HKG>BKK pre-deval in F hoping to upgrade LAX>HKG to F in the future.

By trying to be prepared for upgrading later by calling in now and asking if I've still got an F ticket and can upgrade later, I wonder if I run the risk of them saying "it says 'F' but let me fix that" and downgrade my ticket to J.

If I didn't call in now and just waited until an F seat was available on BKK>HKG and called in and tried to upgrade to it pretending that nothing had changed, and if the whole ticket still shows as F, then perhaps they won't see anything fishy and just give me the upgrade.

Essentially, how do I know if my ticket is still 'F' without asking an AA rep?

Have you called in?

Thank ya.
Do nothing, you will still have an "F" ticket.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Make sure re-issue gets ticketed close in

I know, I know. I should have kept on top of it, but first opened up HKG-BOS a few days ago. Called AA to change from Biz to First, redeposit etc. Got to the airport this morning in HAN to find out, it hadn't been ticketed. Private messaged AA via Twitter and they said would be fine and to see agent in HKG. Well, we arrived in HKG and it was not re-ticketed and now too late. So one of us will be in F and the other will be slumming it in J

I knew better than to trust AA here, but we were having a great time in Vietnam (away from the kids for the first time in a while) and I let my guard down. Don't let it happen to you!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
I know, I know. I should have kept on top of it, but first opened up HKG-BOS a few days ago. Called AA to change from Biz to First, redeposit etc. Got to the airport this morning in HAN to find out, it hadn't been ticketed. Private messaged AA via Twitter and they said would be fine and to see agent in HKG. Well, we arrived in HKG and it was not re-ticketed and now too late. So one of us will be in F and the other will be slumming it in J

I knew better than to trust AA here, but we were having a great time in Vietnam (away from the kids for the first time in a while) and I let my guard down. Don't let it happen to you!
Did AA give up? Or are they still working on it?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Did AA give up? Or are they still working on it?
They gave up.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
They gave up.
That's messed up. I've ticketed on CX within 5 hrs of departure. I'm really sorry that happened to you. Welcome home, all the same.

Jamie
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EP
That's messed up. I've ticketed on CX within 5 hrs of departure. I'm really sorry that happened to you. Welcome home, all the same.

Jamie
The cutoff is 4 hrs I think. Although working between AA and the oneworld, with a little help from Batman, we did get a ticket re issued just under 4 hours. But at checkin at hkg, they did have call the magical "backroom" to do something.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
The cutoff is 4 hrs I think. Although working between AA and the oneworld, with a little help from Batman, we did get a ticket re issued just under 4 hours. But at checkin at hkg, they did have call the magical "backroom" to do something.
Hard 4-hour cutoff for CX ticketing is no more (although still listed in a place or two, so certainly understandable if one gets quoted this, for CX in particular) but such timing obviously presents challenges no matter what carrier.

Last edited by JonNYC; Nov 20, 2016 at 7:01 am
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:08 am

Jamie
Thanks! We were T-8 Hrs when I contacted AA via Twitter message. We were T-4 when in HKG and able to speak to a rep, but we were stuck in the limbo of the Transfer Area.

Oh well, that seat is way too big for Mrs. AXA anyway
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
is anyone else having trouble using BA.com to find CX availability ? Keeps giving me error " Please provide the following information:
There was a problem with your request, please try again later."
Was and still am having this issue and came in here to see if I was the only one. Very frustrating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.