Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ahchiu
I know that one of the strategies in booking Cathay using AA miles is to first book J, and then to look for F to open up in the days approaching, and upgrade with a few more AA miles.

Can the same strategy apply to booking Cathay using Avios? Book J, and if F opens up in the days leading up to departure, pay with Avios to upgrade?

Yeah, I know, who would use Avios to book CX F? I am trying to also bring along an infant, and BA seems to have one of the more infant-friendly policies.
Well it all depends on what the route is. NA-HKG, no way I would use avios for CX F, but within Asia, now you have my interest.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I think agents not seeing availability in CX J\F is more a training issue than anything else on the USA desk. I had to HUACA 2x today to upgrade a previously ticketed award to F. First agent could not find the flights I saw available on BA.com. Second agent said I would owe a 150$ change fee to upgrade the award and (!!) another $150 to change my arrival airport to JFK from LGA (was previously on HKG-DFW-LGA). I knew I owed $150 for the change in arrival airport, but charging the redposit fee twice made no sense. I said no thanks and hoped no notes were made on the PNR about my attempts to change the ticket, and tried a third time to get everything ticketed properly on the flights I wanted. So it doesn't seem to be about the USA agents being unable to see partner space.

I don't know if it is the LUS agents that are not where they need to be training wise, but it (compared to AS for instance) has gotten a lot more difficult to get CX partner awards ticketed properly the first time.

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Did you call AA Australia?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by progapanda
I think agents not seeing availability in CX J\F is more a training issue than anything else on the USA desk..
I agree, or, at least, that in combination with long-standing other AAdv/CX factors-- different and apart from the issue with EY awards and their unique, greater visibility to Australia-based agents.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I agree, or, at least, that in combination with long-standing other AAdv/CX factors-- different and apart from the issue with EY awards and their unique, greater visibility to Australia-based agents.
The more people that accept the first "no", hang up and give up, all the better for us.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
The more people that accept the first "no", hang up and give up, all the better for us.
I don't *quite* share your previously stated outlook on such matters-- very respectfully-- so, in a way yes, but, again, I don't have the same life-view on these things as what you've expressed recently on these matters.

I'm very into helping members get best use of their hard-earned AAdv miles, as my posts over the last decade or so surely demonstrate.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't *quite* share your previously stated outlook on such matters-- very respectfully-- so, in a way yes, but, again, I don't have the same life-view on these things as what you've expressed recently on these matters.

I'm very into helping members get best use of their hard-earned AAdv miles, as my posts over the last decade or so surely demonstrate.
I totally get your point. It is tough deciding where to draw the line. I, too, enjoy helping people, whereas my wife thinks I'm nuts as it is her view that future awards that we need will go to someone I helped educate.

Last August, I single-handedly battled with another FTer that I KNEW was aiming to score a HKGJFK F seat on the same flight. I say "battled" in that we were both hunched over our devices simultaneously for days, albeit in Bali for me and I believe the Maldives for him. Alas, I snagged the seat while in HKG on the day of, and was completing the transaction as he was on hold with AA trying to do the same. (We have since become social with one another).

Did my posts here contribute to his knowledge? Probably not. We'll never know. But I relive the experience practically every time I hit "post" on FT.

As an aside, there's been no sweeter walk of glory EVER than passing my nemesis in 11K while on my way to 1D. I will say he was a gentleman through and through, and let his wife sit up in F while he sat across from my kids in J. My caviar has never tasted better.

Jamie
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AA ExP, HHonors Gold
So I booked an F award in July with a week in Hong Kong, but am wondering if I can add an additional segment to fly to Japan or Taiwan and back in the middle of the reward or would that need to be an additional award?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Gold
Everything is set for Sri Lanka in Feb. except LAX-HKG CX881 on 2/11, looking for 1 F seat and CMB-NRT UL 454 on 2/26 looking for 1 J seat. I check daily on BA.com but no luck so far. Got the seat assignments, meals requested. Still have to make a plan for a 12 hour layover in Hong Kong.

Last edited by susiesan; Jan 8, 2016 at 10:43 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
Everything is set for Sri Lanka in Feb. except LAX-HKG CX611 on 2/11, looking for 1 F seat and CMB-NRT UL 454 on 2/26 looking for 1 J seat. I check daily on BA.com but no luck so far. Got the seat assignments, meals requested. Still have to make a plan for a 12 hour layover in Hong Kong.
As noted, the Pier is magnificent, though clearly not worth 12 hrs. That's ample time for a quick trip into town, I'd certainly leave time for a proper meal and massage at the Pier (and time to get there, since it is a ways away from where US flights USUALLY board).

Good luck with the CX flight, what's the sold load at this point? Hopefully showing F6!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
As noted, the Pier is magnificent, though clearly not worth 12 hrs. That's ample time for a quick trip into town, I'd certainly leave time for a proper meal and massage at the Pier (and time to get there, since it is a ways away from where US flights USUALLY board).

Good luck with the CX flight, what's the sold load at this point? Hopefully showing F6!
For sure, with 12hrs you should venture into HKG. If you get in early enough, lines for the Peak Tram are short in the morning, and the views from the top are stunning (assuming it's not cloudy/hazy). Or you might even be able to squeeze in the Lantau Island's Tian Tan Buddha -- the cable car ride alone is worth it for the views.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
Everything is set for Sri Lanka in Feb. except LAX-HKG CX611 on 2/11, looking for 1 F seat and CMB-NRT UL 454 on 2/26 looking for 1 J seat. I check daily on BA.com but no luck so far. Got the seat assignments, meals requested. Still have to make a plan for a 12 hour layover in Hong Kong.
seems that you'll have a great time
does some special meal better than the regular meal ? (in F)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by akcae
For sure, with 12hrs you should venture into HKG. If you get in early enough, lines for the Peak Tram are short in the morning, and the views from the top are stunning (assuming it's not cloudy/hazy). Or you might even be able to squeeze in the Lantau Island's Tian Tan Buddha -- the cable car ride alone is worth it for the views.
Some hotels sell peak tram trickets, not sure if they sell them to outside guests
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:37 am

Best way to add domestic leg

I know this has been covered a bit in this thread and elsewhere, but curious for advice on the best way to add a domestic positioning flight to an international award on hold. Am I better off trying to get an agent to add the domestic leg to the international leg, or putting the domestic leg on hold online myself and then asking an agent to stitch the two held awards together? Appreciate any advice!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by wroxpopuli
I know this has been covered a bit in this thread and elsewhere, but curious for advice on the best way to add a domestic positioning flight to an international award on hold. Am I better off trying to get an agent to add the domestic leg to the international leg, or putting the domestic leg on hold online myself and then asking an agent to stitch the two held awards together? Appreciate any advice!
I've always called, both to add/subtract domestic legs, and to add/subtract legs beyond HKG. I've done it once ticketed (it forces a re-ticketing) and when on hold (it just resets your place in the queue). The only time I ran into an issue was trying to drop LGAYYZ from YYZHKG, as the point of sale was the U.S. and it needed to remain as such. I couldn't originate in Canada given the way it was initially ticketed. Or something like that.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've removed a personal exchange between two longtime members.

Personal exchanges are best confined to PMs.

~Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.