Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
It could also be married segments where flights will show as available only if searched from origin to destination. I've had that happen several times with LAX-HKG-DPS routings. Also, worth checking your BA results against what's shown on the JL site.
Thanks - I'll definitely check out JL and see if it matches what BA is showing me.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
BA is showing you availability on the first segment but applying it to all - so when it says 4 seats from BKK to BOS, it really means 4 seats from BKK-HKG and at least 1 seat from HKG-BOS.

You need to check each individual segments.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by geniza151
BA is showing you availability on the first segment but applying it to all - so when it says 4 seats from BKK to BOS, it really means 4 seats from BKK-HKG and at least 1 seat from HKG-BOS.

You need to check each individual segments.
That makes sense in theory, but CX doesn't fly a 3-cabin plane from BKK to HKG (at least that I'm aware of).

The search results on BA.com of BKK to BOS turn up 4 first class seats available and 0 Business class seats available, yet there is no first class on the A333.

Nevertheless, I agree that searching individual segments seems to give the most reliable results (that AA agents can see)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by gilcresr
That makes sense in theory, but CX doesn't fly a 3-cabin plane from BKK to HKG (at least that I'm aware of)
Searching BA.com HKG-BKK in November I see at least one flight a day (11/8, 11/9, 11/10 for example) with First, Business and Prem Economy. Perhaps the 77H? I only know as I've been looking at these over the past week.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by gilcresr
That makes sense in theory, but CX doesn't fly a 3-cabin plane from BKK to HKG (at least that I'm aware of).

The search results on BA.com of BKK to BOS turn up 4 first class seats available and 0 Business class seats available, yet there is no first class on the A333.

Nevertheless, I agree that searching individual segments seems to give the most reliable results (that AA agents can see)
They absolutely do.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Well if F that will be a 4 class plane...I think for your dates (11/8-10) you're looking at the CX751 or CX701?

But so many equipment swaps happen on HKG-BKK it's virtually more than less likely you'll lose your F seat - I had three of four bookings equipment swapped for next month's Chinese New Year hols.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 6, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
I think the advantage of booking the BKK-HKG segment in F now is to preserve the 67.5K redemption rate if no F is currently available HKG-ORD.

Book BKK-HKG in F, take a voluntary downgrade to J on the HKG-BKK segment for 67.5K now and then if F on the HKG-ORD opens closer in (post March devaluation) you should be able to uprgrade without cost. I wouldn't mind if the BKK-HKG flight had an equipment change which eliminated F, if I could get the trans-Pac flight in F for 67.5K.

Now there is a possibility of an equipment change and nothing on HKG-ORD opens in F, in which case you're J all the way and "lose" the 12.5K gamble. However, the consolation prize is you should still get F Lounge access, I believe.

I wanted to do this on a BOS-HKG-HAN trip but there is no F to HAN.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by flyaxa
I think the advantage of booking the BKK-HKG segment in F now is to preserve the 67.5K redemption rate if no F is currently available HKG-ORD.

Book BKK-HKG in F, take a voluntary downgrade to J on the HKG-BKK segment for 67.5K now and then if F on the HKG-ORD opens closer in (post March devaluation) you should be able to uprgrade without cost. I wouldn't mind if the BKK-HKG flight had an equipment change which eliminated F, if I could get the trans-Pac flight in F for 67.5K.

Now there is a possibility of an equipment change and nothing on HKG-ORD opens in F, in which case you're J all the way and "lose" the 12.5K gamble. However, the consolation prize is you should still get F Lounge access, I believe.

I wanted to do this on a BOS-HKG-HAN trip but there is no F to HAN.
Exactly how I did it (travel is in May), and AA assures me if F opens on my JFKHKG there will be no additional mileage collection. They even put notes in my PNR.

Nonetheless, I'm skeptical and tend to plan for the worst, so I ticketed an October itinerary where F was available, meaning I can merely change the date of travel if Plan A somehow fails. I'll leave it up to you if this strategy appeals to you.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've been thinking about this too, my concern is that I need to get at a minimum seats in J on the dates we want to actually travel, and with 5 of us, I don't have the million plus miles needed to book both a set in J and a set in F to "flip" out to the date when F gradually opens.

I am currently in the process of figuring out whether to do:
(1) JL on SFO-HND (where I can get 2 F out of the gate and often see as many as 4 F in the days approaching departure) and then routing through HKG to get a CX leg in F for the other 3 bookings that would have J for TransPac or
(2) book CX (1 or 2 TPacs in F, rest in J) and do the BKK trick

Our final destination is SGN, so whether it is SFO-HND-HKG-SGN or SFO/LAX-HKG-BKK-SGN I have to put in an extra intra Asia segment to pull this off. Also possible we could settle for SFO-HND (and getting as many of those into F as possible) and just bite the bullet and do NRT-SGN in the angle flat seats JL has in the 788 on that route. One way or the other, I have to decide, the booking window will open soon...

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Exactly how I did it (travel is in May), and AA assures me if F opens on my JFKHKG there will be no additional mileage collection. They even put notes in my PNR.

Nonetheless, I'm skeptical and tend to plan for the worst, so I ticketed an October itinerary where F was available, meaning I can merely change the date of travel if Plan A somehow fails. I'll leave it up to you if this strategy appeals to you.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by stephem
I've been thinking about this too, my concern is that I need to get at a minimum seats in J on the dates we want to actually travel, and with 5 of us, I don't have the million plus miles needed to book both a set in J and a set in F to "flip" out to the date when F gradually opens.

I am currently in the process of figuring out whether to do:
(1) JL on SFO-HND (where I can get 2 F out of the gate and often see as many as 4 F in the days approaching departure) and then routing through HKG to get a CX leg in F for the other 3 bookings that would have J for TransPac or
(2) book CX (1 or 2 TPacs in F, rest in J) and do the BKK trick

Our final destination is SGN, so whether it is SFO-HND-HKG-SGN or SFO/LAX-HKG-BKK-SGN I have to put in an extra intra Asia segment to pull this off. Also possible we could settle for SFO-HND (and getting as many of those into F as possible) and just bite the bullet and do NRT-SGN in the angle flat seats JL has in the 788 on that route. One way or the other, I have to decide, the booking window will open soon...
Tough call, I'd probably lean towards #2 given the success I've had with last minute CX bookings. Plus, SFOHND is too short of a ride, imo. Either way, will be curious to see what you work out. Best, Jamie
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
There is another way to do it. I want to go to Hanoi, preferably something like DFW-LAX-HKG-HAN with LAX-HKG on CX F. I booked DFW-NRT-HKG-HAN with DFW-NRT being on AA F. Switched to DFW-ORD-HKG-HAN with ORD-HKG in CX J and said I wanted to voluntarily downgrade. Kept the F saver ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:40 pm

I know that one of the strategies in booking Cathay using AA miles is to first book J, and then to look for F to open up in the days approaching, and upgrade with a few more AA miles.

Can the same strategy apply to booking Cathay using Avios? Book J, and if F opens up in the days leading up to departure, pay with Avios to upgrade?

Yeah, I know, who would use Avios to book CX F? I am trying to also bring along an infant, and BA seems to have one of the more infant-friendly policies.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by ahchiu
I know that one of the strategies in booking Cathay using AA miles is to first book J, and then to look for F to open up in the days approaching, and upgrade with a few more AA miles.

Can the same strategy apply to booking Cathay using Avios? Book J, and if F opens up in the days leading up to departure, pay with Avios to upgrade?

Yeah, I know, who would use Avios to book CX F? I am trying to also bring along an infant, and BA seems to have one of the more infant-friendly policies.
I've done it. But be careful, one of the times I did it BA dropped by onward segment to DPS and it was virtually impossible to get it back.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by ahchiu

Yes you can. You can't do it online - you have to call BA. There is also a 55 USD change fee every time you change it.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by stephem
Our final destination is SGN, so whether it is SFO-HND-HKG-SGN or SFO/LAX-HKG-BKK-SGN I have to put in an extra intra Asia segment to pull this off. Also possible we could settle for SFO-HND (and getting as many of those into F as possible) and just bite the bullet and do NRT-SGN in the angle flat seats JL has in the 788 on that route.
I will be booking a couple F seats SGN-NRT-ORD for January 2017, so I've been doing a bit of research, and from what I can tell, JL recently switched the equipment on SGN-NRT from angle-flat to lie-flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.