FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1818789-archive-aa-awards-cathay-pacific-2015-a.html)

SeeBuyFly Jan 6, 2015 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 24113912)
I check the record locator on AA.com while I was on the phone and it showed CANCELED! I asked her 3 times why this is so and she said it's not canceled and is in process of being reticketed, but even now it is still showing as canceled so I wonder if I even still have any reservation/ticket at all :confused:. I'm waiting on a call back from AA because I'm all jittery about this....

See this recent thread (no need to read it all, just see last post): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ys-all-ok.html

friedablass Jan 6, 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr (Post 24113991)
I would be jittery too. If this is CX841 tomorrow morning then it shows F2 at expertflyer (which means two tickets available for sale to people with real money). And CX's own website shows that one of those is available to AsiaMiles members as an award. Whether or not it becomes available to AA is hard to tell because if it was I would have expected it by now. But business is not sold out, nor premium economy so no reason to hold it for op-ups at the airport.

CX831 is F1 and no awards available -- and probably won't be because it is full in business and premium economy, and Y1 in economy. I doubt that they will release the last F seat on that flight when it is so full across all classes of service. CX845 is solid full as well, completely sold out.

DAK

It's CX845 for tomorrow night (which is considered the 8th). We won't die if we're in separate classes this one time :D.... But maybe someone in F will still switch to another flight, who knows.

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 24114005)
See this recent thread (no need to read it all, just see last post): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ys-all-ok.html

Just got off the phone with AA (they called me back, finally!) and there WAS something that needed to be fixed and once again after being on hold for a couple of minutes they did correct what they needed to and I was told I would receive confirmation email within an hour or so. When I look at the record locator now it says "On Request" so that makes me feel much better.

Superorb Jan 6, 2015 3:22 pm

I have a few ticketed segments on CX and JL for this summer on an American award, but on the AAdvantage.com site, under my account, it's not pulling up any reservations. Should they normally show up in this spot? I'm at this page:

https://www.aa.com/reservation/viewR...false&from=Nav

SeeBuyFly Jan 6, 2015 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 24114154)
I have a few ticketed segments on CX and JL for this summer on an American award, but on the AAdvantage.com site, under my account, it's not pulling up any reservations. Should they normally show up in this spot? I'm at this page:

https://www.aa.com/reservation/viewR...false&from=Nav

No, reservations without an AA component aren't displayed until you enter the specific record locator. It has been that way for years.

SeeBuyFly Jan 6, 2015 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 24114088)
When I look at the record locator now it says "On Request" so that makes me feel much better.

"On request" means it has not been reticketed yet. You will not be able to fly until it has been ticketed.

friedablass Jan 6, 2015 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 24114193)
"On requested" means it has not been reticketed yet. You will not be able to fly until it has been ticketed.

True but to me it's still better than showing "Canceled". I was told it will change to ticketed within a couple of hours at most which is when I would receive the confirmation email as well. If it doesn't ticket by the morning I will be back on the phone with them.

Superorb Jan 6, 2015 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 24114179)
No, reservations without an AA component aren't displayed until you enter the specific record locator. It has been that way for years.

I did try entering the locator, and I just get an error.

ETA: Nevermind, it seems to be working now.

dkerr Jan 6, 2015 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 24114088)
It's CX845 for tomorrow night (which is considered the 8th). We won't die if we're in separate classes this one time :D.... But maybe someone in F will still switch to another flight, who knows.

It is showing F2 on expertflyer and one available award at CX for AsiaMiles members. Cross fingers and maybe at T-24 hours they release it to AA.

dkerr Jan 6, 2015 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr (Post 24114907)
It is showing F2 on expertflyer and one available award at CX for AsiaMiles members. Cross fingers and maybe at T-24 hours they release it to AA.

So, just for the fun of it I used awardnexus (using QF engine) to check on JFK-HKG on the 8th, CX845 not available. But change the search to JFK-SIN and guess what... up pops CX845 as available for one person in F with several connection options to SIN in J. So here we have an example at T-29 hours where married segments is making a difference. If HKG is not your final destination tomorrow, be sure to ask AA to check the entire routing, not just ask them about the one JFK-HKG segment.

Same situation for tomorrow (7th) CX841... not available for JFK-HKG, but is available for one F if you connect on to SIN (in J). So here at T-14 hours, married segments making a difference. I find this surprising at such a late hour that they would still be blocking the "sale" of a JFK-HKG to favor a connecting passenger.

This is using QF engine, which may or may not be exactly the same as what AA agents can see.

DAK

friedablass Jan 6, 2015 5:45 pm

HKG is my final destination so any way I can "convince" AA agent to see that 1 F award seat?

Thanks so much for your help here!

dkerr Jan 6, 2015 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 24115029)
HKG is my final destination so any way I can "convince" AA agent to see that 1 F award seat?

Thanks so much for your help here!

Only by asking them to search for availability for a through JFK-SIN itinerary then they might see it, and if they can see it then they could hold it. Now you could then try and ask them to cancel out the HKG-SIN segment but that would be gaming the system and reservation agents are probably trained not to do this. If you read back in this thread you will see that CX have detected this sort of thing where people have tried this tactic (hang up and then call another agent to cancel the unwanted segment) and refused to accept the reservation (at least before ticketing). Some folks have been successful doing it after ticketing. If you try this, at this late stage, I would do it all on a separate record and not cancel your existing J reservation until the new one is properly ticketed and in the CX system. Even that is morally questionable.

You could decide to ticket a JFK-HKG-SIN and if traveling with no checked bags just not show up for the connection in HKG, but that is also gaming the system (hidden city ticketing) which the airlines also frown upon and morally questionable for the individual -- and if your return flight is on the same PNR then it would likely be automatically cancelled if you no-showed for one segment of the outbound.

So, no good solution here I'm afraid.

Good luck,
DAK

seawolf Jan 6, 2015 6:48 pm

Just don't use QF engine. It's good for AB IB awards but not that good for CX in my opinion. With less tha 24 hours to departure, just call AA

friedablass Jan 6, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm not really interested in gaming the system and taking a chance messing up my travel plans. So I guess I just hold my breath and wait until we are inside of 24 hours when they will hopefully release that 1 award seat to partners.

dkerr Jan 6, 2015 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 24115328)
Just don't use QF engine. It's good for AB IB awards but not that good for CX in my opinion. With less tha 24 hours to departure, just call AA

Calling AA is always the best and most reliable if working on a specific booking. But if just casually looking then JL/QF/BA are the only options and close to flight time only QF or BA work.

DAK

friedablass Jan 6, 2015 7:22 pm

The 1 F seat just popped up on BA! Called AA and there is a 1 hour hold time :td: so I chose the call back option and I hope it will still be there by the time they do.

If anyone has any tricks how to get to an award agent faster I'd be happy to hear :).