Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Reduced in what sense? I don't think capacity hasn't been reduced. More like more people chasing after the same seats.
I don't think so. Even at +355 day mark, only 1 seat in F available.

Previously when I checked about a month ago, there were 2 seats in F routinely available out of ORD/HKG at +355 days. I have a hard time believing the reduction is due to more people getting credit card miles.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Slightly OT, but are in a jam, need to buy 70K Aadvatage miles asap, are the only/best option through their website ($2000), or are there other cheaper alternatives?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Married segment practice - this is to prevent all the awards being snatched up for JFK-HKG travelers leaving nothing for those need to go BEYOND HKG. A very common practice on virtually all airlines. QF for example, could have nothing available for LAX-SYD, but has availability for JFK-LAX-SYD when LAX-SYD is on the same flight.

A little trick people figure out when searching for award seats, also can be a source of frustration from another angle.
If I'm looking for award space SYD-LAX-XXX and it isn't available, but SYD-LAX-JFK is available, can I ticket and then call AA (booked with AA miles, EXP) and chop off the LAX-JFK segment and replace with another or will the QF liaison now allow that?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
If I'm looking for award space SYD-LAX-XXX and it isn't available, but SYD-LAX-JFK is available, can I ticket and then call AA (booked with AA miles, EXP) and chop off the LAX-JFK segment and replace with another or will the QF liaison now allow that?
Might not work... because the the flight SYD-LAX and the flight LAX-JFK both operate as the same flight number QF11, so when ticketed it could well be ticketed as a single flight with a single flight coupon. I'm guessing that this might make it harder to "drop" a segment that doesn't appear as a separate segment on the ticket. But I may be wrong.

DAK
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
Slightly OT, but are in a jam, need to buy 70K Aadvatage miles asap, are the only/best option through their website ($2000), or are there other cheaper alternatives?
I'm not aware of any for "ASAP", but AA and US Air frequently have promotions at a reduced price, or on a "gift your friend and get miles, too" basis. If you know someone who is an AAdvantage or USAir Dividend Miles member, you might ask him/her to be on the alert for one.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by iluvdoco

Previously when I checked about a month ago, there were 2 seats in F routinely available out of ORD/HKG at +355 days. I have a hard time believing the reduction is due to more people getting credit card miles.
You may see another popup after you book the one seat, we had that experience for booking ORD HKG in May15.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I know a few folks here book/track HKG-DPS-HKG availability and wanted to ask what I should expect. I flew it 3 years ago with no problem getting 5x awards in business class. But looking now for Christmas 2015 and seeing only Y awards. I am fine with that if it's the way we have to go as we'll be in HKG already and it's a short enough flight to do in the back of the bus.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I've generally seen less availability than there was several years ago. I'm generally searching for only three seats and even that's been harder. I've also found that HKG-DPS becomes available later than transpac flights, so I've often booked a flight into SIN at 331 days changing to DPS a month or two later.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:48 pm
tsz

It definitely feels less predictable to me. I saw 2 F open +332 days ORD-HKG, but none available the few days before or after.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Is it just me or has CX F availability out of North America been further reduced? It used to be fairly easy to get 2 x F seats out of ORD or JFK, but now I can only find 1!
I guess it depends on when. I just booked 2 F seats yesterday out of ORD on the exact date in November I wanted. Now, I would have preferred the middle of the night flight rather than the afternoon one, but I can't be too choosy.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ross0
Originally Posted by dkerr
Might not work... because the the flight SYD-LAX and the flight LAX-JFK both operate as the same flight number QF11, so when ticketed it could well be ticketed as a single flight with a single flight coupon. I'm guessing that this might make it harder to "drop" a segment that doesn't appear as a separate segment on the ticket. But I may be wrong.

DAK
Yup. Same flight number. It is considered a thru flight and you cannot chop it off. However you could, abandon the last segment that is LAX-JFK after you clear the immigration, and just walk out without redeposit your checked bag if you have any because LAX is your port of entry.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
"on request"

So - I've been "on request" for my CX J tix for 4 days now...anything to be worried about? I did call AA yesterday and they did say all was fine on their end, just waiting on CX to "accept" it, should go in for ticketing today...but nada.

Thought I remembered seeing something about "5 day limit" on here...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: SW A-List and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So - I've been "on request" for my CX J tix for 4 days now...anything to be worried about? I did call AA yesterday and they did say all was fine on their end, just waiting on CX to "accept" it, should go in for ticketing today...but nada.

My recent booking took a full week to ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

How far out to departure? Ticketing queue is sorted by date of departure.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
How far out to departure? Ticketing queue is sorted by date of departure.
327 days

So no worries of the space disappearing? Just having bad UA 2012 flashbacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.