Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tng11
I wonder if one could get around the JFK/EWR issue if say, they just add a domestic segment to the beginning/end at the initial booking and then drop it after the change? Because there's no fee for dropping segments and as long as the originating country doesn't change, that should be okay?

For instance, I didn't have a problem with moving YYZ-LGA/EWR-HKG to YYZ-JFK-HKG (though of course, I needed to originate in YYZ, but I could see if someone added say, ORD-JFK at the beginning and just dropped it prior to travel there aren't fees)
No, because adding a segment at the beginning to a ticketed award will trigger a fee right there.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, because adding a segment at the beginning to a ticketed award will trigger a fee right there.
I think he meant that if you know you might want to switch between EWR and JFK to add a segment prior to that when you make your initial booking and that way you shouldn't have to pay any change fee for shifting between EWR and JFK. Then you don't have to fly the initial domestic segment at all.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by friedablass
I think he meant that if you know you might want to switch between EWR and JFK to add a segment prior to that when you make your initial booking and that way you shouldn't have to pay any change fee for shifting between EWR and JFK. Then you don't have to fly the initial domestic segment at all.
Ahhhhh, I see. Appreciate the explanation, I'd recommend against, but if the $150 is that vital, I suppose each will have to make their own decision on just how much effort it's worth to avoid it. And, of course, the risk of any policy being reevaluated when a pattern of abuse manifests itself.

The rules for dropping segments, etc., are all from internal sources, 90%+ via me.

Too much of this garbage goes on/gets suggested... less info will be allowed through. We're lucky they put up with as much as they do in this area.

The info is meant to -help- AAdv members use their miles-- not help them cheat the system.

SO, do as one sees fit, but, please let's keep these little rule-abusing schemes off here, please. Lest we find ourselves with changed rules and/or no access to them.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 4, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:10 pm

This wouldn't apply to me anyway because I'm ticketed already so adding a segment will definitely incur the change fee as you already mentioned.

If I do end swapping EWR to JFK flight I will be certain to report back here if there was a change fee or not.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
This wouldn't apply to me anyway because I'm ticketed already so adding a segment will definitely incur the change fee as you already mentioned.

If I do end swapping EWR to JFK flight I will be certain to report back here if there was a change fee or not.
The rule is to charge if you are not EXP. However agent sometimes forgets because it is a manual process AFAIK.

So I were you, I would be prepared to pay the fee, but considered self lucky if agent does not charge it.

Now if you are upgrading from J to F, then the fee would not be charged - this is one of the few good features AA program has. Upfare does not incur fee as you would pay more miles to upfare (unlike other programs that you still need to pay the change fee.)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:52 pm

SO, do as one sees fit, but, please let's keep these little rule-abusing schemes off here, please. Lest we find ourselves with changed rules and/or no access to them.
My bad on that one. Just a side thought from my experience being able to change my connections between LGA, JFK, EWR coming from YYZ.

Originally Posted by Happy
The rule is to charge if you are not EXP. However agent sometimes forgets because it is a manual process AFAIK.

So I were you, I would be prepared to pay the fee, but considered self lucky if agent does not charge it.
So far, on 2 out of 2 voluntary cancellations I haven't been charged the change fee even without status. I was told about the fee on the call, but they never showed up on my credit card. I consider myself lucky.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad on that one. Just a side thought from my experience being able to change my connections between LGA, JFK, EWR coming from YYZ.

So far, on 2 out of 2 voluntary cancellations I haven't been charged the change fee even without status. I was told about the fee on the call, but they never showed up on my credit card. I consider myself lucky.
Exactly. It is a manual handling, not an automatic process. Agent could forget to do it after finishing the change / reissue the ticket, hence the customer is not charged at the end, despite being told about the fee.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by nemme99
Has anyone had much luck seeing last minute availability ex-SFO since they reduced the number of F seats? The past couple of years I've gotten last minute - 12-days and a surprising 21-days before the flights - seats. I'm going again this February (not around chinese new year) and am wondering if I'll get lucky. I've only been testing the last few weeks, but not rigorously since the holidays aren't the norm and most F seats were taken. Looks like my best test will be in a couple weeks, as there aren't any F-4 flights until 1/23.

The days I'm looking at are F-2 (long shot) and two that are F-4 (with two seats taken on seat maps). I'm okay with confirming a few days ahead, but wonder if that's even going to happen. Looking for one seat.
Answering part of my own question: just checked BA and there's one F award available on 1/23 - 19 days before the flight - with F-5 availability.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if one could get around the JFK/EWR issue if say, they just add a domestic segment to the beginning/end at the initial booking and then drop it after the change? Because there's no fee for dropping segments and as long as the originating country doesn't change, that should be okay?
That would be the suggested approach for someone intending to start in NY but the desired class/airport is not available at time of booking.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by rgdave
O/D JFK-HKG availability in F is very limited. It's often better to a point beyond, like KUL or PEK, if you can possibly add another city to your trip. If you can find a o/w to HKG in F, and a return in Y, you may want to book it, because there's a good chance an F or J seat will open up close in. AA allows you to upgrade a booking with the same O and D if space opens up without a fee, so its a chance you may want to take.
Is it just me or has CX F availability out of North America been further reduced? It used to be fairly easy to get 2 x F seats out of ORD or JFK, but now I can only find 1!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
And, of course, the risk of any policy being reevaluated when a pattern of abuse manifests itself.

Too much of this garbage goes on/gets suggested... less info will be allowed through. We're lucky they put up with as much as they do in this area.

... please let's keep these little rule-abusing schemes off here, please. Lest we find ourselves with changed rules and/or no access to them.
Such as the elimination of the "free stopover at int'l gateway on int'l awards" rule? Rather than use it to provide a bona fide stopover, many people in these parts promoted its use to get a free additional one-way domestic ticket for a separate trip. Now it's gone, and those of us that found it useful to use as intended - for a stopover along the way on an int'l trip - can no longer do so.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Is it just me or has CX F availability out of North America been further reduced? It used to be fairly easy to get 2 x F seats out of ORD or JFK, but now I can only find 1!
No it's not just you, I'm seeing the same. I was going to go with KE F even though CX F is way better, but KE F is still better than CX J and it was way easier to find 2 seats on my desired dates which I had on hold. However, that plan went out the window when I found out too late that Chase had pulled the ability to transfer UR points to KE some time in November and although they say it is temporary, transfers have still not resumed. Thus we are currently booked into CX J which was relatively easy to find and I'm busy checking almost hourly to see if anything in F opens. And when I once did find a single F seat on one of my flights the hold time of 45 minutes with AA caused me to lose it .
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
Such as the elimination of the "free stopover at int'l gateway on int'l awards" rule? Rather than use it to provide a bona fide stopover, many people in these parts promoted its use to get a free additional one-way domestic ticket for a separate trip. Now it's gone, and those of us that found it useful to use as intended - for a stopover along the way on an int'l trip - can no longer do so.
An *exceptional* example.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Reduced in what sense? I don't think capacity hasn't been reduced. More like more people chasing after the same seats.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Reduced in what sense? I don't think capacity hasn't been reduced. More like more people chasing after the same seats.
I wonder if this is partly due to all those people who got 100K miles for signing up for the credit card a few months ago....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.