Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:04 pm

OK finally I was able to do it. I found an agent who was extremely nice and did it. This was after 10 calls to different agents.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That there are documented, confirmed, irrefutable cases where a given CX award seat is bookable on BA.com but AA phone agents do not have access to it -and/OR- cannot find a way to book that very same seat.
Don't know about AA but over on AS, i have no problem having them book space. BA site is only reliable if you search segment by segment so in many case its the phantom space the BA site shows on an o/d search w/ connecting flights.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
..BA site is only reliable if you search segment by segment so in many case its the phantom space the BA site shows on an o/d search w/ connecting flights.
That's true, but not in the cases I'm referring to, there definitely are differences, have seen many cases, single CX flight available on BA.com, not bookable by AA.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's true, but not in the cases I'm referring to, there definitely are differences, have seen many cases, single CX flight available on BA.com, not bookable by AA.
And also the other way, BA, JL, etc. shows no availability but AA is able to grab seats. I don't know how common this is, but it's happened to me several times. I've called to take one F and one J and agent tells me two F are available.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
And also the other way, BA, JL, etc. shows no availability but AA is able to grab seats. I don't know how common this is, but it's happened to me several times. I've called to take one F and one J and agent tells me two F are available.
Absolutely.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I think we hear about this less/less aware of this given the fact that the only way to determine this is to call and its much easier for someone to do the quick check online then it is to call and have an agent search.

I first flew CX F long-haul 2 weeks ago and the booking process was an interesting experience. This thread was helpful. Ultimately, by obsessively checking inventory online (so excessive in fact that it led to EF customer service reaching out to me to ask me what I was doing!) I was able to learn a bit about CX's "pattern" for releasing award inventory and was able to convert 2 J award tickets (booked 330 days out) to 2 F tickets. It took lots of persistence , but was well worth it.

Now if only I can convert some QF J award seats I have to F...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by woow14610
OK finally I was able to do it. I found an agent who was extremely nice and did it. This was after 10 calls to different agents.
That is great, and encouraging. Any tips you can share that helped the agent find the seats, or did they just magically appear? E.g. did you get all three on the same PNR or were they booked into separate PNRs... by requesting one person at-a-time for example? What was the routing you ultimately were able to book?

Thanks
DAK
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:32 am

Anyone knows what happened to last-minute F space? Seems to be disappearing (at least when searching via BA).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Anyone knows what happened to last-minute F space? Seems to be disappearing (at least when searching via BA).
Last minute space is still there, but not there at the same time because cabins are filling up (ostensibly with paid fares) closer to departure. I was watching this morning's CX841 - when I booked into it 2 months ago I was the only one in the cabin. Soon it dwindled to F3, and then a week ago there was an award seat. And then it's been somewhere between F3 and F1 since then. CX889 last night had an award seat 3 days ago at F2 for instance.

CX845 seems to always drop to F0 within 3-4 days of departure - no chance of getting an award seat there.

TL;DR: It's not that CX isn't releasing last minute space, but that cabins are filling up earlier.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by tng11
CX845 seems to always drop to F0 within 3-4 days of departure - no chance of getting an award seat there..
While it may be more difficult to find F award space on CX 845 than other flights, it is certainly not correct to say "no chance" of getting one. In fact, I got 2 F award seats on CX 845 just a few weeks ago. Granted it was difficult, took lots of persistence (and checking) and came down to the wire, but I got 2.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
While it may be more difficult to find F award space on CX 845 than other flights, it is certainly not correct to say "no chance" of getting one. In fact, I got 2 F award seats on CX 845 just a few weeks ago. Granted it was difficult, took lots of persistence (and checking) and came down to the wire, but I got 2.
Yeah, I worded that poorly. I've been able to get F award seats on CX 845 a few months in advance. Just that recently, I've noticed that flight sells out pretty quickly.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:13 pm

Two months ago I was bumped from CX F to J (AA Award) when CX removed the F cabin from the flight. As other FT members suggested, I tried to ask for a liaison repeatedly to get onto another flight in F. But up to now neither a liaison nor the AA twitter team were able to move be to another flight's F, all saying they cannot do anything about my involuntary downgrade unless award space opens up.

Oh, and CX's twitter team didn't respond to my DM. What should I try next?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Two months ago I was bumped from CX F to J (AA Award) when CX removed the F cabin from the flight. As other FT members suggested, I tried to ask for a liaison repeatedly to get onto another flight in F. But up to now neither a liaison nor the AA twitter team were able to move be to another flight's F, all saying they cannot do anything about my involuntary downgrade unless award space opens up.

Oh, and CX's twitter team didn't respond to my DM. What should I try next?
Monitor for F availability on the flight you want. And consider all US gateways. Don't forget Boston.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Is there any way to set up alerts on CX flights so I don't have to check BA.com or the KVS tool all the time? EF doesnt work for CX (from what I've read).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Is there any way to set up alerts on CX flights so I don't have to check BA.com or the KVS tool all the time? EF doesnt work for CX (from what I've read).
Awardnexus.com

DAK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.