Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bearsfan72
Just booked a flight from BKK to ORD via HKG on Cathay for November. Only economy was available, and no flexibility on dates .

Any recommendations on when to look for additional business/first seats to open?
As others mentioned, check daily (at least) until two weeks out, then continuously. I also think it's well worth it to get a sub to EF and watch the J and F loads on your desired flights. CX does sell their premium cabins quite well so if they're nearly sold out, you'll know not to waste your time and can look into alternatives. If dates aren't flexible then you might have to get creative I.E. look for JL space to BOS and backtrack to ORD etc ...
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by no1cub17
As others mentioned, check daily (at least) until two weeks out, then continuously. I also think it's well worth it to get a sub to EF and watch the J and F loads on your desired flights. CX does sell their premium cabins quite well so if they're nearly sold out, you'll know not to waste your time and can look into alternatives. If dates aren't flexible then you might have to get creative I.E. look for JL space to BOS and backtrack to ORD etc ...
I'd say there is a better than 50%, closer to 75% chance that if you check frequently and hourly within the last couple weeks, you will find an F or J award for your route. Might be with JL but something will pop up. Always does for me when I monitor that route. All hope is not lost!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
I'd say there is a better than 50%, closer to 75% chance that if you check frequently and hourly within the last couple weeks, you will find an F or J award for your route. Might be with JL but something will pop up. Always does for me when I monitor that route. All hope is not lost!
Good to hear!

I looked into booking through a different US city and tracking to ORD that way, but the problem is that I'm flying into the US on Thanksgiving weekend so inter-US awards are almost impossible to find. Looking on Cathay's website, there are loads of empty J seats, so I'm hoping that they will dump them at some point.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I've noticed that 1 or 2 j availability opens up 3 weeks before.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by bearsfan72
Good to hear!

I looked into booking through a different US city and tracking to ORD that way, but the problem is that I'm flying into the US on Thanksgiving weekend so inter-US awards are almost impossible to find. Looking on Cathay's website, there are loads of empty J seats, so I'm hoping that they will dump them at some point.
Will it be an option just to buy the domestic portion ?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:49 pm

First, I appreciate any help as I have been trying hard to do this by myself and failed. I tried all the sites

So I am trying to get 3 award tickets (3rd is a baby) either Bus or First from BKK-JFK/ORD/IAD my final destination is ROC. My travel back date is 01/02/16 or 12/30/15.

Could someone please help? or provide any input? I did call AA customer service and they do not want to try hard they just check for few and give up.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by woow14610
First, I appreciate any help as I have been trying hard to do this by myself and failed. I tried all the sites

So I am trying to get 3 award tickets (3rd is a baby) either Bus or First from BKK-JFK/ORD/IAD my final destination is ROC. My travel back date is 01/02/16 or 12/30/15.

Could someone please help? or provide any input? I did call AA customer service and they do not want to try hard they just check for few and give up.

Thanks in advance
Those dates will be very difficult due to holiday travel unless you're booking 330 days out, even then can be tough. Check British Airways website for availability though. Make sure to check LAX as a connection point as well.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:53 pm

I have found seats in BA and followed following wiki post to do HUCA but all the AA agents saying they do not see availability. What is going on? What could I do? Any suggestions?

3a) Be aware that what you see on the BA, JL, or QF sites may not be visible to the AA reservations folks. You may want to note the flight on which the F award seat is shown as "available" on those sites and if the AA agent doesn't see any availability suggest that the AA agent check that specific one again. If the AA agent still cannot see it, thank them, hang up, and call back a little later
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
I have found seats in BA and followed following wiki post to do HUCA but all the AA agents saying they do not see availability. What is going on? What could I do? Any suggestions?
You can give them segments individually with flight numbers to make sure they are searching right. Outside of something like that, you just have to keep calling and trying.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
You can give them segments individually with flight numbers to make sure they are searching right. Outside of something like that, you just have to keep calling and trying.
Thanks...I did give the exact flight numbers. I did mention that these are available for BA award travel and they are saying it BA CX availability is different to AA CX availability
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:58 pm

...they are saying it BA CX availability is different to AA CX availability
My understanding is that this is false. Can someone confirm?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
It's definitely not -supposed- to be different, but definitely on occasion is.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I believe so too. The reason I believe this is due to following. When I mentioned the BA availability I hear mumbling from the agents end . Also I believe it is because I am looking for 3 award seats. They say only one is available.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
but definitely on occasion is.
I a confused by that...what does this mean?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:13 pm
Suspended

I a confused by that...what does this mean?
That there are documented, confirmed, irrefutable cases where a given CX award seat is bookable on BA.com but AA phone agents do not have access to it -and/OR- cannot find a way to book that very same seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.