Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
If I reschedule an F flight (no charge) to another date but put myself into Y instead of F, do I get the difference in miles refunded?
I would expect there to be the reinstatement fee ($150 I think)... you are putting the F class award back into your account, and claiming a new Y class award. The fee waiver only applies if you are upgrading to a higher priced award, I think downgrading would incur the fee.

DAK
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
If I reschedule an F flight (no charge) to another date but put myself into Y instead of F, do I get the difference in miles refunded?
You'll owe me $150 for the horror of even imagining a conscious decision to fly Y.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by dkerr
I would expect there to be the reinstatement fee ($150 I think)... you are putting the F class award back into your account, and claiming a new Y class award. The fee waiver only applies if you are upgrading to a higher priced award, I think downgrading would incur the fee.

DAK
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
You'll owe me $150 for the horror of even imagining a conscious decision to fly Y.
You know I would never dream of such a move! Asking for a friend, I swear! We can blame newly formed engagements and related engagement ring expenditures.

To note, there's a good chance that a couple of F tickets ORD BKK May 14/24 come back into inventory soon.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Gold
Has anyone noticed a sudden lack of even one F award on CX 806 HKG-ORD for 330 days out? I have been looking every day and I cannot find a single F seat available for AA award booking on the JL site. I was planning to use this flight on my return from my Sri Lanka vacation but I may route back to the US via NRT on JL flights. There are also no J seats on the CX flight to Chicago from Hong Kong. Do you think this is because there is only one flight a day now and this route is more popular than LAX?

There does seem to be seats on the HKG-LAX flights. But I will be limited to certain days of the week as I will originate in CMB and the CMB-HKG flight does not fly everyday.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 28, 2015 at 7:35 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:48 pm

Frustrating last few days, looking at 2 award seats available at JAL.com (two separate flights), and AAwards continues to offer only 1.

The "funny" thing is.. except for these two flights, JAL's award availability agrees with AA.

Last edited by zznoname; Mar 27, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
Frustrating last few days, looking at 2 award seats available at JAL.com (two separate flights), and AAwards continues to offer only 1.

The "funny" thing is.. except for these two flights, JAL's award availability agrees with AA.
Grab the one. Maybe the second will then pop up. I've experienced this with AA.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:41 pm

Yes. Good advice.

Last edited by zznoname; Mar 29, 2015 at 7:15 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - questions, availability

You can't integrate and not sure why you would want to either.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf
You can't integrate and not sure why you would want to either.
Cancellation penalties are lower when they are on the same PNR.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by beachfan
Cancellation penalties are lower when they are on the same PNR.
Penalty will be the same as long as both tickets are being put back into the same advantage account at the same time. $150+$25 for each additional.

You can put back a JFK-HKG and a DUS-LAX (as an example) from two unused award and it will be $175 provided the conditions above are met.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Penalty will be the same as long as both tickets are being put back into the same advantage account at the same time. $150+$25 for each additional.

You can put back a JFK-HKG and a DUS-LAX (as an example) from two unused award and it will be $175 provided the conditions above are met.
My understanding is they have to be on the same PNR, NOT merely 2 tickets?

You are saying as long as you cancel 2 tickets (from the same account) at the same time, it is $150+$25, regardless they are booked under different PNRs?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Happy
My understanding is they have to be on the same PNR, NOT merely 2 tickets?

You are saying as long as you cancel 2 tickets (from the same account) at the same time, it is $150+$25, regardless they are booked under different PNRs?
That is correct. It does not have to be same PNR. Two months ago, was able to put back PVG-HKG-JFK for passenger 1 and EWR-HKG for passenger 2 and 3 for $200.

As with AA, HUACA if agent tells you anything different.

If you are making routing changes involving multiple passengers you have to actually consider whether it is actually cheaper to reinstate/issue new awards (without cancelling award space) at $150+25 than to do a $150/pp exchange. AA can definitely reinstate/issue new award without cancelling award space as evidenced by the countless times many of us has moved from J to F.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is correct. It does not have to be same PNR. Two months ago, was able to put back PVG-HKG-JFK for passenger 1 and EWR-HKG for passenger 2 and 3 for $200.

As with AA, HUACA if agent tells you anything different.

If you are making routing changes involving multiple passengers you have to actually consider whether it is actually cheaper to reinstate/issue new awards (without cancelling award space) at $150+25 than to do a $150/pp exchange. AA can definitely reinstate/issue new award without cancelling award space as evidenced by the countless times many of us has moved from J to F.
Thank you for the information, very timely to me as we may need to rebook a one-way Asia back to US when we would actually be in Asia, that would change the O, if not the D. So it would be cheaper to reinstate for $175 than to change for $300!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I have an AA miles award reservation for HKG-ORD-JFK. If space on a direct flight opens up, I know I can switch to HKG-JFK without a fee since I am not changing O or D, but what about HKG-EWR? I would think so since JFK/LGA/EWR are coterminals but I want to check if anyone has done this and if a change fee was charged.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Member

Changing EWR to JFK (vv) will involve a change fee. O/D stands for original and destination airports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.