FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1818789-archive-aa-awards-cathay-pacific-2015-a.html)

Majuki Jan 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by BillyFlyer (Post 24154961)
My wife and I will be traveling in first class (hopefully) for the first time (on any airline), and really looking forward to it! We'll be taking a lap infant on with us (almost 2 yrs old, so the bassinet isn't useful anymore). I heard that the seats are pretty private, although dining can be done together. Is it better to sit in the same row or front-back? Are there any recommended pairs of seats for those travelling as a couple or with an infant? Thanks for the advice.

The middle and right seats open up to the same aisle on the 777, and 1A and 2A are on the left aisle. If you're traveling as a pair then 1A and 2A are good choices on the 777. If you want the same row then you'd want a center and a K seat in the same row. Just be sure to measure your expectations after this because there are few first class experiences that match this one. :D Have a great trip!

Happy Jan 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 24153705)
I searched several booked trips.

AA generated booking with CX flight and more than one passenger - No luck with either CX PNR or AA plated ticket number.
AA generated booking with AB flight and one passenger - No luck with either AB PNR or AA plated ticket number.
CX generated booking with CX flight and more than one passenger - No luck with either CX PNR or CX plated ticket number.
DL generated booking with AF flight and one passenger - Success with either AF PNR or DL plated ticket number.
DL generated booking with KL flight and one passenger - Success with either KL PNR or DL plated ticket number.

The site also previously worked with a LH PNR and UA plated ticket number.

Perhaps AA or CX blocks access?

Are you talking about Saudi site or what?

I never use PNR but e-Ticket numbers because frankly it is the ticket that matters, particular the coupon status after exchange/reissue. I found this tool from old threads forgot in DL or UA forum. It was thanks to the Saudi site I found out UA completely messed up a reissue by splitting up the last segment to another ticket all by itself while the other parts of the itinerary showed exchange/reissue, without new e-ticket! AC which canceled flight was the cause of the reissue, told me I had no ticket.

Ever since that scare i now always check any reward that has partner flights regardless which program i used. I have used tickets issued by UA, US and DL - all worked on Saudi site.

jamienbaker Jan 13, 2015 7:09 am

My wife and I will be traveling in first class (hopefully) for the first time (on any airline), and really looking forward to it! We'll be taking a lap infant on with us (almost 2 yrs old, so the bassinet isn't useful anymore). I heard that the seats are pretty private, although dining can be done together. Is it better to sit in the same row or front-back? Are there any recommended pairs of seats for those travelling as a couple or with an infant? Thanks for the advice.

Be aware CX charges a lap fee, I think. I believe it is 10% of full F, so it'll be several hundred dollars. Guessing you know this, but I've seen several threads on it. I just never really paid attention since my kids are older now. Enjoy - Jamie

seawolf Jan 13, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 24155275)
Are you talking about Saudi site or what?

I never use PNR but e-Ticket numbers because frankly it is the ticket that matters, particular the coupon status after exchange/reissue. I found this tool from old threads forgot in DL or UA forum. It was thanks to the Saudi site I found out UA completely messed up a reissue by splitting up the last segment to another ticket all by itself while the other parts of the itinerary showed exchange/reissue, without new e-ticket! AC which canceled flight was the cause of the reissue, told me I had no ticket.

Ever since that scare i now always check any reward that has partner flights regardless which program i used. I have used tickets issued by UA, US and DL - all worked on Saudi site.

Yes. Saudi website under manage bookings. Only worked for the AF and KL bookings.

Counsellor Jan 13, 2015 11:35 am

My wife and I will be traveling in first class (hopefully) for the first time (on any airline), and really looking forward to it! . . . I heard that the seats are pretty private, although dining can be done together. . . . .

You can view the First Suite layout here.

You'll note that each seat/suite is pretty isolated from the others -- it's not like First Class domestically or even many international layouts where you actually sit next to someone whom you can see and easily converse with. It's really private and personal.

Dining together usually requires one passenger to visit the suite of the other, and sit on the footrest (an ottoman-style bench) and share the table. It's not particularly uncomfortable albeit a bit cramped, but it's (again) not like sitting side by side in separate seats and conversing.

zznoname Jan 13, 2015 1:26 pm

+1 on what Majuki wrote. Picking the "correct" aisle is important.

After that, besides the roomy seats, the whole cabin offers a lot of space to stand/move around. And it's all your playpen (within reason I guess). But if you're in 1a, 2a, you'll have that side of the airplane to yourselves. Second choice, 2d, 2k.

About the service? - I know, no one asked my opinion, but I wanted to sneak this in FT somewhere.

CX F service seems to have changed. A lot. Here's the low lights from our F flights, a couple of weeks ago.

During lights out, rang the service bell for quite a few minutes before anyone came. OK. maybe the FA was in the restroom.

Served us frozen pancakes with the caviar (forgot to heat 'em up). Second time they were still cold. We let it go. But note, if you're a pancake lover, when the fluffy pancakes are heated properly, you'll ask for seconds.

And served us a dirty, already used glass. Which is a bit scary (though not dreadful) because it's hard to catch in a darken cabin (but not in the galley).

The service, (both flights) was basically clumsy and lethargic.

OK. Clearly persnickety, but compared to the service in HKG, The Wing F Lounge...

After getting a take-a-way plate at the the above mentioned buffet bar, I hung around the host desk briefly looking for silverware. But, before I knew what was happening, five restaurant staff members, servers and managers, ran over, basically stopped what they were doing and honestly ran. In a couple of seconds, I counted five people standing around me offering knives and forks.

Yes, 1st world problems, but, if we had paid the big money for the CX F seat, we'd have been disappointed. In any case, for us, the service was consistently "sharper" a few years past.

No problem. Wife prefers J and saving the AAmiles, I like F with the extra torso space.

Here's a photo (posted before) for other F seat uses. You'll have more than enough torso area for your baby.

https://flic.kr/p/8UftcS

Here some snapshots of HKG, The Wing F Lounge:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7Ci9ZS

BillyFlyer Jan 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 24156640)
Be aware CX charges a lap fee, I think. I believe it is 10% of full F, so it'll be several hundred dollars. Guessing you know this, but I've seen several threads on it. I just never really paid attention since my kids are older now. Enjoy - Jamie

Yes, we learned this the hard way last year by paying 10% from HKG and 25% from EWR when using AA miles. We flew business class, so the 25% was ~$1500 :(

I wised up this year and used BA miles and paid 10% in miles. There was no way we'd pay 10% or 25% in first.

starbuk Jan 13, 2015 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 24154323)
With F, it has been observed that CX will make up to 5 out of 6 available to partners.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case based on personal experience. Looks like I'll be trying JL F instead. My inbound CX flight was great and I could have booked CX F return but the 6 hour layover put me off. Of course, a day or two later they released connecting flight with far better connecting times. Lesson learned for future - book F availability while you can and look to improve connection later.

Happy Jan 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 24157890)
Yes. Saudi website under manage bookings. Only worked for the AF and KL bookings.

This is odd. I never have need to check AA bookings as it is straight forward CX flights about the only worthwhile usage (and being able to find seats) in the current AA situation. I do check UA and US bookings especially the US booking that has IB segments. They all show up on Saudi site.

BillyFlyer Jan 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname (Post 24160124)
+1 on what Majuki wrote. Picking the "correct" aisle is important.

After that, besides the roomy seats, the whole cabin offers a lot of space to stand/move around. And it's all your playpen (within reason I guess). But if you're in 1a, 2a, you'll have that side of the airplane to yourselves. Second choice, 2d, 2k.

Thanks for all the great info! We actually haven't flown in first class ever, on any airline. So we're pretty excited to try one of the best.

The CX website is showing everything in row 1 as blocked even though they should be available according to ExpertFlyer. I'm assuming a call to CX is in need. Will there by any issues in securing 1A? Is there any reason why they would be blocking these? Are they only allowed for those with elite status, or some other kind of restriction?

BillyFlyer Jan 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname (Post 24160124)
Here some snapshots of HKG, The Wing F Lounge:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7Ci9ZS

That shower room looks awesome! It seems like a big step up from the business class shower rooms.

The food in the lounge looks pretty appetizing. Relative to restaurant food (not airport lounge food) how's it taste?

zznoname Jan 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by BillyFlyer (Post 24162693)
That shower room looks awesome! It seems like a big step up from the business class shower rooms.
The food in the lounge looks pretty appetizing. Relative to restaurant food (not airport lounge food) how's it taste?

Thanks for your words.

The food tastes perfect. It is perfect. It's Peninsula Hotel type food. The staff changes out the buffet trays regularly and no topping off. The old tray, no matter how much is left, goes away. Always perfectly fresh.

And then there's the made to order, Lounge/Day Menu that you can order from (menu in the photos).

One thing though. The booze (except the retail US$50. bottles of Champagne) is nothing special. Cheep boozed actually (menu in the photos).

The Wing F, HKG, is managed by a separate CX/Peninsula Hotel company. Not CX.
The service is similar to exactly the same as you'd get at the hotel.

No joking.

For us, the lounge is a destination. A real perk of EXP status.

The shower room is called, "The Cabanas". :)

zznoname Jan 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by BillyFlyer (Post 24162670)
Thanks for all the great info! We actually haven't flown in first class ever, on any airline. So we're pretty excited to try one of the best.

The CX website is showing everything in row 1 as blocked even though they should be available according to ExpertFlyer. I'm assuming a call to CX is in need. Will there by any issues in securing 1A? Is there any reason why they would be blocking these? Are they only allowed for those with elite status, or some other kind of restriction?

Well.. yes, elite status might be necessary. But always call CX and ask. If the agent says no, I'd wait a bit and call back.

I'm not sure if the computer locks out non-status or the agents have discretion. Certainly, the bassinet seats, 2a, will be given to you and then you can suggest the reasoning of seating together.

I'm sure the agents would agree.

tsz Jan 14, 2015 5:43 am

Originally Posted by BillyFlyer (Post 24162670)

You're in for a treat!

I have no status with CX and have never had a problem assigning 1A over the phone, with the US or HK call center.

callmedtop Jan 14, 2015 7:55 am

Can't help but agree that service is slipping, overall. I think I'll write a full trip report, but just flew HKG-JFK this past weekend, and a couple of things.

1. Purser was plain rude - I tried to be as friendly as possible but she wasn't having it.

2. Giant (size of a basketball) stain right in the middle of my suite (2A) - still wet and very unpleasant to look at / sit near.

3. Maracon box delivered after lunch had one maracon missing and was clearly eaten. Wrapping that encases the two macarons was clearly "tampered" with, and the one maraon missing gave it away. The FA was very embarrassed when I said something, but there were no more macarons to give me, so she gave me pralines on a plate. Not a big deal to me, but still very sloppy.

The rest of the flight, I will admit, was traditional CX consistency - great, fast, and attentive service, with food on par with other CX flights (as in, decent).

Just did a trip doing SQ Suites LAX-NRT, JL F NRT-CGK, and than CX F HKG-JFK on the way home. I'd have to say that JL F was my favorite, followed by CX F and then SQ Suites. Service on SQ was very disappointing, and was likely crew-specific, which is likely skewing my thoughts.