Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Old Jan 7, 15, 7:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
If anybody is interested, I just released 2 J for FEB 13 EWR HKG and it came back into the award pool.

[KVS Tool 7.7.4/Diamond - Awards/BA-OneWorld]
Code:
EWR  New York Newark Liberty Intl NJ US [KEWR]
HKG  Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
FRI  13 Feb 2015 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
CX         899     EWR   01:10     HKG   06:00 +1           FS/  CS2  WS0  YS0
Old Jan 7, 15, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
I had it a few time this week that the CX line was busy - I thought it was odd that an airline should have a busy signal during their regular operating hours.
Very common for CX HKG.

Even Marco Polo elite line could be busy. You should visit CX forum periodically to see how folks there complain about various things.
Old Jan 7, 15, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
No kiddin - that is potentially quite useful. Does that method work for other airlines like IB?
Yes. I picked the IST-MAD and MAD-MIA seats from QR site when IB site would not let me.

The reason it works it is because of the Amadeus system and the targeted airline does not charge a fee for selecting seats.

CX has switched to Amadeus in Spring of 2012 (the transition period was a nightmarish mess that lasted 3 weeks!)
Old Jan 7, 15, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
What number do I have to call with an AA award on CX metal to pick seats? I searched the thread and couldn't find anything, and it's not in the wiki.
In the past, the AA agent that books the award can get the seats as well. Just ask nicely.
Old Jan 7, 15, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor View Post
In the past, the AA agent that books the award can get the seats as well. Just ask nicely.
Not if the seats wanted are blocked by CX such as bassinet seats. For that only CX could assign that to you by reading you the rules.
Old Jan 7, 15, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott,SPG
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Not if the seats wanted are blocked by CX such as bassinet seats. For that only CX could assign that to you by reading you the rules.
And my experience last week was that they will not assign 2A or 2K as they are bassinet seats. Now how many times in the history of CX have they had two bassinets in first class?
Old Jan 7, 15, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
And my experience last week was that they will not assign 2A or 2K as they are bassinet seats. Now how many times in the history of CX have they had two bassinets in first class?
Their system is ridiculous. I once had 4 F reservations. The two other passengers had already selected 1A and 1D. But CX still wouldn't reserve me bassinet seats. Note, cabin only holds 6.
Old Jan 7, 15, 9:22 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
I tell you why they won't release 2A or 2K. Those two seats are usually reserved for their own Emerald members. The times that I've gotten upgraded, I've always been assigned 2A or 2K.
Old Jan 7, 15, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573 View Post
I tell you why they won't release 2A or 2K. Those two seats are usually reserved for their own Emerald members. The times that I've gotten upgraded, I've always been assigned 2A or 2K.
Maybe the reason you got those seats is because they had been blocked from earlier assignment -- not to upgrade you into but rather in case the bassinet was needed. I'm assuming you were upgraded close to flight time and maybe the other four seats were already assigned.

DAK
Old Jan 7, 15, 11:49 pm
tsz

The US call center will not assign those and say they're for airport assignment only. Call the Hong Kong call center (warning: long, long wait time) and they'll make it uber clear that if there's a baby they'll move you, but they'll assign you those seats.
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:19 am

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
On Request - how long until ticketed?

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
True but to me it's still better than showing "Canceled". I was told it will change to ticketed within a couple of hours at most which is when I would receive the confirmation email as well. If it doesn't ticket by the morning I will be back on the phone with them.
I booked 2 tickets on 15th Dec using AAdvantage miles to fly CX in May and it's still showing 'On Request'

I have rung AAdvantage a couple of times and each time get told not to worry and that it's in a queue for ticketing.

Is this normal? / When is it likely to be ticketed?
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:27 am

That is not normal. I made a CX redemption for May on Dec 31st and it ticketed less than 24 hours later.

Often, that means something is wrong with the reservation - usually the credit card information.
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:48 am

Programs: QFF Silver, BA Blue, GF Silver, 3V Emerald
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
That is not normal. I made a CX redemption for May on Dec 31st and it ticketed less than 24 hours later.

Often, that means something is wrong with the reservation - usually the credit card information.
Thank you - my card has not been charged so that could be it. If that is the case then I'm a bit disappointed that AA could not tell me that - I'll report back after checking the card details with them.
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by tsz View Post
The US call center will not assign those and say they're for airport assignment only. Call the Hong Kong call center (warning: long, long wait time) and they'll make it uber clear that if there's a baby they'll move you, but they'll assign you those seats.
The other day I got 2A assigned by the AA agent making the award booking; maybe because it was 4 days before the flight and there were no other seats open. I have certainly gotten these assigned by CX agents before through the US phone number. If one of them won't do it, HUACA.
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:56 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by tsz View Post
I called the US call center last week and got 2A after asking for it (and being warned about baby, moving etc).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: