Wiki Posts
Search

How early can I check my bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

How early can I check my bag

Hello,
Im landing at CLT on 8am on Friday and my next flight is at 7am the next morning to Costa Rica, with a layover in MIA. My question is can i grab my bag and check it in, basically 23 hrs prior to my next flight? Just one less thing to do in the morning. Im flying AA on all flights.

Thank you and sorry if this has been covered already.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:30 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jlarz20!

I am moving your question to the AA forum.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
You can only check in your baggage day of departure for most airports in the USA. The main exception is MIA, where the maximum acceptance is 4 hours prior to departure.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the information Wiirachay, this is helpful.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not just MIA. The AA policy is four hours. It is simply not enforced other than at busy airports or in IRROPS when storage space gets backed up.

Another example is FLL on cruise days. The kiosks simply won't generate a bag tag.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Often1
It is not just MIA. The AA policy is four hours. It is simply not enforced other than at busy airports or in IRROPS when storage space gets backed up.

Another example is FLL on cruise days. The kiosks simply won't generate a bag tag.
I called AA to get the exact policy. I was informed that the 4 hour maximum was only for certain airports, such as MIA. AA told me that DCA accepted baggage as long as it's the day of departure. Everything proved true when I traveled out of DCA last December.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For connections, I believe AA usually uses eleven hours. I've had to recover and recheck on "LIFO" flights overnighting in DFW, MIA, ORD and others. OTOH, MIA sometimes seems more flexible on occasion.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 30, 2017 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jlarz20
Hello,
Im landing at CLT on 8am on Friday and my next flight is at 7am the next morning to Costa Rica, with a layover in MIA. My question is can i grab my bag and check it in, basically 23 hrs prior to my next flight? Just one less thing to do in the morning. Im flying AA on all flights.

Thank you and sorry if this has been covered already.
You could see if they will check it all of the way through
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I was allowed to check in my baggage at about 9m for a 7am next day flight in Miami. This was in August 2016. When I arrived in Miami I asked if this was an option and I was told to go to the priority check in desks at the very end of the hall. They took the bags with no fuss whatsoever. Maybe they took them because it was only 10 hour until the next flight?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage
There is no such limit for MIA and I speak from experience on both sides of the counter.

FLL and MCO have 4-hour limits but most stations—MIA included—will accept baggage on the day of departure regardless of departure time. Do note however that if you check in sufficiently early your bag may be sent on an earlier flight; be sure to use the baggage tracking feature on AA.com or the mobile app to know for sure.

That being said, MIA will definitely not accept bags the night before, nor will most (any?) stations since it's technically not allowed.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I would be dping my Checkin at Charlotte and checking in for a flight to Costa Rica, that connects through Mia.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
There is no such limit for MIA and I speak from experience on both sides of the counter.

FLL and MCO have 4-hour limits but most stations—MIA included—will accept baggage on the day of departure regardless of departure time. Do note however that if you check in sufficiently early your bag may be sent on an earlier flight; be sure to use the baggage tracking feature on AA.com or the mobile app to know for sure.

That being said, MIA will definitely not accept bags the night before, nor will most (any?) stations since it's technically not allowed.
YMMV on that. I'm sitting at LAS right now. I tried to check at T-4:08. The agent told me to come back in 8 minutes. It seems to be just a regular day - no IRROPS, good weather.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:34 pm

What about LAX?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
What about LAX?
To answer my own question, a friend of mine succeeded in checking a bag at 4pm for a depature around 10:30pm.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 7:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
To answer my own question, a friend of mine succeeded in checking a bag at 4pm for a depature around 10:30pm.
Is this still the case? Any recent data points? Connecting on a separate ticket in LAX and want to give myself 6+ hours to spare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.