Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
You are an EXP??

You are are DIYing this on line? Not calling the EXP desk?

When there is ONE seat in inventory, almost always the 'expanded availiability' for EXPs will give you the second seat when you call.

IME
I had no idea they would be more accommodating if I called. I hate bothering them and lately, haven't been having much luck when calling them for other things (like changing flights).

As it turned out, I signed on the very next morning and got my second award ticket.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
LAX->PEK No Biz/1st MileSAAver awards

Is AA severely restricting Biz/1st MileSAAver awards or is this simply restricted to the Los Angeles -> Beijing route?

I have searched over the next 12 months and can't find a single such award.

Luckily, FT has educated me to a BA.com search for Cathay flights and wonderfully there are such routes for the great rate of 55,000 AA miles + $55.40. Thank you FTers.

So, are Biz/1st MileSAAver awards being globally removed or is it special for this routing?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sthubbar
So, are Biz/1st MileSAAver awards being globally removed or is it special for this routing?
Seems to me that this is becoming the new standard on AA for int'l flights.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
AA does not fly LAX to PEK nonstop.
That is probably why you are not seeing any awards.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Even on NRT-LAX, they don't seem to ever open up Saver First, even close to departure when they've got 0/1/2 seats showing as occupied in the 15 seat 777 cabin....
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Even on NRT-LAX, they don't seem to ever open up Saver First, even close to departure when they've got 0/1/2 seats showing as occupied in the 15 seat 777 cabin....
From the airline's perspective award travel is a perk intended to make good customers happy, so they may prefer to roll paying biz pax up to first. RDM's alone ain't worth anything like they once were.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Unhappy AA is restricting awards for some reason

Haven't seen ANY C class for DFW-NRT on AA.com, yet my flights last week had MANY empty seats (or employees). More outbound, but no one next to me either way. Purser moved a friend up from the back (naughty naughty ), and first was almost all employees from someone I talked with on the flight. Don't understand why AA doesn't open up some seats a few days out if they have tons left and reduce their mileage liabilities.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Note that nowadays, you are competing with a gazllion award booking services. Trust me when I say this, AA has been using a certain algorithm when it comes to award availability for some routes and some people including the bloggers have figured them out. As soon as the seats are released, award booking services usually will grab them within the hour. For partner awards, it is not uncommon for award booking services to go after them as soon as 330 day windows open.

Unless you know what you are doing, you have no chance.

Unfortunately, this is the state of FF programs these days...bloggers profiting heavily while destroying this hobby for the rest of us
How do the award booking services do that? Do they book the flights and then release them when someone pays for them to find those flights? That would require them to keep million of miles in order to book so many flights as soon as they become available.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Corganbr
How do the award booking services do that? Do they book the flights and then release them when someone pays for them to find those flights? That would require them to keep million of miles in order to book so many flights as soon as they become available.
Not to mention there's zero guarantee that a seat goes back into inventory on anything like a prompt, predictable schedule. It happens for some carriers, but not others.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
Haven't seen ANY C class for DFW-NRT on AA.com, yet my flights last week had MANY empty seats (or employees). More outbound, but no one next to me either way. Purser moved a friend up from the back (naughty naughty ), and first was almost all employees from someone I talked with on the flight. Don't understand why AA doesn't open up some seats a few days out if they have tons left and reduce their mileage liabilities.
Exactly.

It's arguable, but DL may even be less stingy these days than AA....
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:41 am

Perhaps they want to encourage people to book AAnytime awards? Preserve (what little) exclusivity there is in Business?

Perhaps SWU's should be renamed DWU's? Domestic Wide Upgrades? It sometimes seems that way to me these days.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by bmchris
Perhaps they want to encourage people to book AAnytime awards?
Ya think?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:45 pm

At what point does it become deceptive advertising if sAAver C/F inventory is never available on many/most international routes...?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
At what point does it become deceptive advertising if sAAver C/F inventory is never available on many/most international routes...?
Alas, probably never. AA does make some limited amount of inventory available every now and then.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Alas, probably never. AA does make some limited amount of inventory available every now and then.
It reminds me of car dealers with a phantom car ad. Someone goes in to see the car deal and there's some excuse as to why you can't buy it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.