Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:25 pm

What I have found is that after the reservation started to merge, the availability of Saaver business awards out of PHL and CLT to MAD/BCN are impossible to find for months on end, in fact I looked for almost the entire next year.

On the other hand, we were able to secure 2 PHX-ATH Saaver business tickets for May travel.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY

- we have to remember that the program was put into place to absorb extra seats - ones that would go unsold.
Huh. Did not know that.

How many years until SYD-LAX is "old enough" for milesavers?

IMO this is the new normal, to answer the OPs question.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Huh.

IMO this is the new normal, to answer the OPs question.
Don't assume this is the lasting new normal. Demand will ultimately determine that. There is a lot of change going on with the merging of the systems etc...with the US flights in particular.

As they are merging over reservations they are also merging over the inventory to managed by AA's RM system that likely won't have the complete demand history of the flight. In such changing dynamics it's smart and standard to restrict FF inventory until things settle down. They can release the inventory down to FF as needed going forward. However they can't take back what they have already used for award tickets. I can easily see in this circumstance where the US RM team has been guided to be conservative in releasing FF seats.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
While I agree that premium cabin awards are tougher to get - we have to remember that the program was put into place to absorb extra seats - ones that would go unsold. There are so many these days that are sold, its tougher to find - esp. further out.
The problem is that even premium cabins that are completely empty just days before departure do not have a single sAAver seat available. In the last month, I've seen JFK-LAX, DFW-ICN, and ORD-PEK without a single seat assigned in F (and inventory showing F7 A7, and plenty of space in business/economy as well) - yet no sAAver availability 24-, 48-, and 72-hrs from departure. Great for non-revs, not great for us. This never used to be the case going back several years ago on AA, where in-close availability was fairly open on empty flights.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Umm... how many versions of this thread do we require? This situation has been in play for quite some time and it's been discussed ad nauseam. It sucks no doubt, but rehasing it over and over really doesn't seem to accomplish much ...

Regards
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I'm trying for a saver award MIA-LGA; or JFK for two persons. If I drop it to one, then the saver shows up that I want early morning. I wonder if I should go for it and then hope a second opens up. There are flights doing this route nearly every other hour. So whats up with that.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I've noticed that sAAvers in both cabins are more often offered on US operated routings than on AA operated routings. Very rarely is a connection offered through JFK for domestic flights, usually PHL or CLT, from BOS.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by trekker954
I'm trying for a saver award MIA-LGA; or JFK for two persons. If I drop it to one, then the saver shows up that I want early morning. I wonder if I should go for it and then hope a second opens up. There are flights doing this route nearly every other hour. So whats up with that.
Best route might be to snag two of those single tickets on flights an hour apart and then see if a second ticket opens up on either; you could switch for free.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by trekker954
You are an EXP??

You are are DIYing this on line? Not calling the EXP desk?

When there is ONE seat in inventory, almost always the 'expanded availiability' for EXPs will give you the second seat when you call.

IME
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Note that nowadays, you are competing with a gazllion award booking services. Trust me when I say this, AA has been using a certain algorithm when it comes to award availability for some routes and some people including the bloggers have figured them out. As soon as the seats are released, award booking services usually will grab them within the hour. For partner awards, it is not uncommon for award booking services to go after them as soon as 330 day windows open.

Unless you know what you are doing, you have no chance.

Unfortunately, this is the state of FF programs these days...bloggers profiting heavily while destroying this hobby for the rest of us
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
...bloggers profiting heavily
How so? Or do they also control said 'award booking services'?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Many bloggers also own award booking services.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:08 pm

Looking for AA award to one of places below. Sending 2 college kids on 1 month European trip next spring

Prefer not using BA as taxes are crazy high

JFK to one of locations below
Sofia Bulgaria
Cesky Krumlov, Chek
Budapest
Krakow,
Belgrade

I can do air berlin to dusseldorf or belin and bus to locations below, prefer not to
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by flyer12345
Looking for AA award to one of places below. Sending 2 college kids on 1 month European trip next spring

Prefer not using BA as taxes are crazy high

JFK to one of locations below
Sofia Bulgaria
Cesky Krumlov, Chek
Budapest
Krakow,
Belgrade

I can do air berlin to dusseldorf or belin and bus to locations below, prefer not to
aa.com will show award availability -- if any -- on AA, AB, AY, and BA, and any combination thereof. For availability on IB, you must call AA, or check some third-party website.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Yes. All the big award booking services are owned and run by bloggers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.