Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old May 10, 2015, 9:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Tech Support / Web Services

Email link: https://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEma...me=webServices

Call us
Within the U.S. and Canada
800-222-2377
Daily 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. (CT)
Old May 11, 2015, 1:03 am

I'm encountering the same issue trying to book a one-way flight from Santiago to D/FW in March 2016. There was some limited availability as of two weeks ago, but now all of the Milesaaver rates seem to be gone. Buenos Aires to DFW also is gone, though I managed to snag a one-way at the MileSaaver rate two weeks ago.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:31 am

Impossible to find domestic milesaaver / saaver award

Today seats were released for April 13, 2016 bookings and I tried to book nonstop JFK-LAS or JFK-LAX and there were no milesaver awards available in either coach or business class. Called AA and the rep said to check back another time. I explained that I was told that all award levels were released when the seats became available (331 days in advance). She said, she didn't know what to tell me and that I needed to check back at. Later time.

However, when I have called in the past about milesaver awards I am always told that they are all released when seats are released for booking 331 days in advance and I've missed out on milesaver deals.

Lots of double talk, but no awards booking.

Any suggestions?

I would prefer nonstop and the departure dates are either April 13 (LAS) or April 12 (LAX).
Old May 18, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Creighbaby
Today seats were released for April 13, 2016 bookings and I tried to book nonstop JFK-LAS or JFK-LAX and there were no milesaver awards available in either coach or business class. Called AA and the rep said to check back another time. I explained that I was told that all award levels were released when the seats became available (331 days in advance). She said, she didn't know what to tell me and that I needed to check back at. Later time.

However, when I have called in the past about milesaver awards I am always told that they are all released when seats are released for booking 331 days in advance and I've missed out on milesaver deals.

Any suggestions?

I would prefer nonstop and the departure dates are either April 13 (LAS) or April 12 (LAX).
Take a deep breath. I have found that AA's Milesaaver awards actually load at about 329 days out. So the schedule comes into existence on 331, but the revenue management/yield management system does not go in and open up availability for milesaaver for a day or two.

The reason for that is that AA wouldnt want the schedule to load with Milesaaver awards defaulted to be available, so the first opportunity for their system to open them up via YM/RM program is the next night when their system makes wholesale updates to bucket authorizations.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I explained that I was told that all award levels were released when the seats became available (331 days in advance).
Not true at all. Many (most?) flights do not have saver inventory available that far out. And it may become available at any later time, up to and including day-of.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Not true at all. Many (most?) flights do not have saver inventory available that far out. And it may become available at any later time, up to and including day-of.
Again, as I showed above, it is patently incorrect (as you state)... AA flights will NEVER load with Milesaaver space at 331 days. The system is designed to load the flights with default AU levels, and their YM/RM system will go in and open up the buckets (on flights they intend) at 329 days. But as SJC AA stated, they are sure as heck only going to open up space on flights that will be targeted when looking 329 days out. Many routes or flights will only open up much closer in once their YM/RM system is confident that past performance will continue so that they can maximize revenues.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:51 am

You can hear all kinds of things from AA employees that are not true, or only partially true. Many times when faced with an unhappy customer on the phone that demands a clear answer I'm sure that the telephone agents start to come up with believable but oversimplified or incorrect answers to appease people. I probably would do that over time.

Also, over time AA's award release strategy on each kind of route evolves. What was true for AA 3 years ago, for example, may not be true today.

I think that many people would like AA to publish the exact reward release strategy for each route so that customers could rely on that for getting award seats. That is not in AA's interest.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Take a deep breath. I have found that AA's Milesaaver awards actually load at about 329 days out. So the schedule comes into existence on 331, but the revenue management/yield management system does not go in and open up availability for milesaaver for a day or two.

The reason for that is that AA wouldnt want the schedule to load with Milesaaver awards defaulted to be available, so the first opportunity for their system to open them up via YM/RM program is the next night when their system makes wholesale updates to bucket authorizations.
love tip number one. Thank you.

I will check again in a couple of days.

I wish there was more transparency, but as millionmiler says, that wouldn't be in the best interest of the airline.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

Any suggestions?

Get an ExpertFlyer account and set up an alert. You'll get an email when a desired fare bucket opens up, then you can act on that immediately.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
love tip number one. Thank you.

I will check again in a couple of days.

I wish there was more transparency, but as millionmiler says, that wouldn't be in the best interest of the airline.
Welcome to FT!

There is more to it than transparency. Availability of award seats at saver level is subject to constant fluctuation from the time they first become available about (though not exactly) 11 months in advance until shortly before take-off. Relevant factors include how many award seats are booked, but also how many paid seats are purchased, among others. Since AA permits changes to award travel at no charge as long as the origin and destination remain unchanged, I suggest that you consider booking a one-stop flight JFK-LAS or LAX if seats become available ahead of seats on a nonstop; if you do so, you retain the option of switching to a nonstop (though not changing your destination) if award seats open up over the next 11 months. I did something similar last September for travel in July 2015: I booked MUC-TXL-JFK/LGA-DCA on AB/US and later switched to MUC-PHL-DCA on US, thus avoiding a change of airports in NYC and cutting several hours off the total travel time.

Last edited by JPG3392; May 19, 2015 at 7:55 am Reason: Corrected error in date.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:38 pm

There seems to be almost no saver seats in any class to Lima in late 2015 and none at all in 2016. Will it likely remain this way?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:18 am

Seems to be a similar issue.

Great job AA.

I wonder if its an end of quarter issue to keep bookings down....
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:01 pm

Zero Intl J/F sAAver routes now through EOC

Just looking at some random routes, there isn't a single J or F (when applicable) sAAver award on the following routes with AA metal.

Sure, some is to be expected like the new SYD service. But a couple of these I could always find say "every Tuesday and Wednesday" in a given month several months in advance. Not at the present time.

I'm sure you can add dozens more to the list.

LAX-SYD-LAX
DFW-HKG-DFW
DFW-NRT-DFW
ORD-NRT-ORD
PHL-MAD-PHL
PHL-DUB-PHL
MIA-EZE-MIA
CLT-DUB-CLT (seasonal)
GIG-MIA (after 8/22)
MIA-GIG (after 8/20)

But on the flip side, I can find J every day in a month JFK-CDG-JFK so it seems some routes offer decent availability while many offer none.

Does someone in the know think this is temporary or the new normal? I'm not even referring to 77W availability.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Member

Well. LAX-SYD and DFW-HKG are 77w. LAX-SYD I would expect minimal saver awards since it is so new. HKG will not open at 330 days - it has a high purchase rate.

I just did a DFW-NRT-DFW search - and while not great - there is certainly 50k availability for business class scattered throughout the schedule (look March-April 2016). I did not check the others but there is not "no" availability. While I agree that it may not be AA metal - there is still award availability.

While I agree that premium cabin awards are tougher to get - we have to remember that the program was put into place to absorb extra seats - ones that would go unsold. There are so many these days that are sold, its tougher to find - esp. further out.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY

I just did a DFW-NRT-DFW search - and while not great - there is certainly 50k availability for business class scattered throughout the schedule (look March-April 2016). I did not check the others but there is not "no" availability. While I agree that it may not be AA metal - there is still award availability.
I was referring to point-to-point, non-stop routes on AA metal. Perhaps you were looking at connections?

The routes I posted do not have non-stop availability anywhere in the calendar.

I've just never seen it this tight before. I can get CX F to HKG easier than I can on a US 757 to Europe.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.