Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortest AA or US flight? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Shortest Mainline flight, combined AA/US

Just for fun, what is the shortest mainline flight now within the combined network. On the AA side I am thinking MIA/MCO (flown on a 763 no less). The US side BWI/PHL?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:15 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
PHX/TUS is another one that does sometimes have mainline service
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Just for fun, what is the shortest mainline flight now within the combined network. On the AA side I am thinking MIA/MCO (flown on a 763 no less). The US side BWI/PHL?
GSO-CLT has (had?) a daily A319 and is, I believe, six miles shorter than BWI-PHL.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
JFK-BOS is a candidate on the AA side. It's 5 miles shorter than MIA-MCO.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
MIA-FLL

Not usually revenue but I often see AA flights operate on this route.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DFW-OKC is 176 miles.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
JFK-DCA for LAA?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: SW A-List Preferred Companion Pass
Denver-Colorado Springs 68.6 miles
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
JFK-DCA for LAA?
That's 213 miles, longer than several earlier posted.

Originally Posted by Timlat
Denver-Colorado Springs 68.6 miles
I don't believe that's a mainline route flown by either AA or US.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
GSO-CLT has (had?) a daily A319 and is, I believe, six miles shorter than BWI-PHL.
It comes and goes, and will often show up briefly for the furniture markets. It's 83 miles. PHL-LGA is 95, PHL-BWI is 90, and PHX-TUS is 110. I can't think of anything shorter on the US side at the moment. There are plenty of short routes out of CLT run with larger RJs such as CR9s and E175s - AVL for instance at 91 miles - but these aren't mainline. CLT-RDU is 130.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Shortest AA flight?

Yesterday afternoon I flew PHL-LGA which must be AA's shortest flight segment at 92 miles and 26 minutes in the air, though slotted at 1h20m gate to gate. Was impressed on several counts by the service provided. It was an E170/5 so my comp upgrade to F cleared a couple of days out. Curiously, there were two open seats in F when we departed (and it seemed four other seats were occupied by airline staff...I have no objection to that) so couldn't have been many elites on board. Lots of open seats in coach as FA announced people could move to open seats if they wished.

Was offered a pre-departure drink (not often done on mainline flights these days) and FA took our order for inflight drinks before take off, and insisted I had enough time for a double! As we climbed out over New Jersey she was up in the galley getting our drinks prepared and we had them before the 10K foot bong went off. Then followed with the basket of chips et al. The folks in the back did not get drink service, though it was announced if they wanted anything to ring the call button.

We were flying low most of the flight, just above the cloud bank, and then made a pass across Brooklyn and Queens, over LGA and up the river until we turned back for the approach and landing. Great views of Manhattan on the upper part of Long Island.

Very nice Eagle flight and with-it crew, though we gated at the DL terminal rather than the main one (B) used by most of AA's flights, which threw me as I've never been in the (old US) terminal. Hopped a shuttle to get over to B so I could have a quick dinner/drink at the Amex Centurion lounge and then catch the M60 into Manhattan, and the D train express to my hotel near Columbus Circle.

So is this, indeed, AA's shortest flight? If not, what is?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
PHL-BWI is marginally shorter at 90 miles, and PHL-EWR is 80.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
ORD MKE is 67 miles. You spend more time taxiing than flying. No chance on PBD.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
PHL-ABE. 55 flight miles. No F on that route.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
PHL-ABE. 55 flight miles. No F on that route.
Was just going to mention I flew this route on US. Literally wheels up/down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.