Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the 737 MAX 8. There are other threads to post to:

Recent crashes and effect on AA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-recent-737-max-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s.html

7M8 First / Business cabin and MiQ seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1880631-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-first-business-seats-etc.html

7M8 Main Cabin and MCE cabins, Meridian seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1892121-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-meridian-main-cabin-mce-seats-etc.html

7M8 Space overhead bins related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1951594-max-oasis-big-bins-agents-told-not-proactively-gate-check-bags-jan-2019-a.html

7M8 Spacewall lavatory related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1919254-737-max-8-bathrooms-air-carrier-access-act-compliant.html

Configuration is F 16, 156 Y (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi via ViaSat, 110 VAC Universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output.

For the Guide / master threads on this aircraft, please see

Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

and Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

In the order of Boeing 737 aircraft, AA included 100 737 MAX 8 orders with options for 60 more. The first 737 MAX -8 flew at the assembly facility in Renton, WAshington, USA on 29 Jan 2016. Deliveries to AA commenced in late in 2017, with four delivered in 2017. 16 more will be delivered during 2018, 20 during 2019. IATA code B38M; AA code "7M8".

NOTE: ALL 737-800s (and two class A321-32B) will be retrofitted to 737 MAX 8 seating, slimline “advanced“ lavatories, IFE and WiFi standards under Project Oasis over the next three years.
American Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 SSW

The 737 MAX 8* is essentially a replacement to the 737-800 with passenger capacity of 172. (Read onward for seat configuration.) Range with Advanced Technology (AT) Split Scimitar Winglets is expected to be 3,515 nmi (6,510 km). (In comparison, the APB Blended Winglets 737-800 has range of 3,115 nmi or 5,765 km fully loaded.) See this page on Gizmodo for more information.

The fourth generation 737 MAX 8 (first flight 2016) includes airframe and wingtip modifications (Boeing “Scimitar” Advanced Technology Winglets) for enhanced efficiency and will use the larger and more efficient CFM International LEAP-1B engines. This will allegedly allow a 20% improvement in fuel burn over A320 aircraft, a 4% improvement over the A320neo* (new engine option), a 14% fuel burn reduction over the 737NG / 737-823 currently in use and a 37% fuel burn reduction over the 757-200.

(*The slightly longer and longer range A321-200neo will come in 2019.)

Boeing 737-800 Scimitar Split Winglets

The 737 MAX has the Boeing Sky Interior with LED interior lighting based on the Boeing 787 interior, overhead bins and fee-based ViaSat satellite-based Ka band WiFi. Individual seatback seatback video screens are no longer offered; AA has chosen free high quality live streaming music and movies (streamed from an onboard server and generally using the free downloadable GoGo Entertainment app) and high speed ViaSat Ka band Internet are said to be both sufficient and “the wave of the future”. At seat power is universal plug at 110 VAC plus 5.1 VDC USB; "large" overhead (cases stand on side) bins are provided.

The new 787 MAX aircraft carry 172 passengers: 16 in First, 30 in Main Cabin Extra and 126 in Main Cabin for a total of 172. Main Cabin will feature 30" seat pitch with Rockwell Collins Interior Design "Meridian" slimline seats, which AA states these seats' 30" pitch "feels like" 31" and is a more comfortable seat than previous generations (of slimline seats). The new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y) are “densified”, as well.

(AA revised its original plans to provide some rows of 29" pitch seats in the MAX 8 by switching out one MCE row, as of 12 June 2017.) See memo posted by CO777 in post 377.

"An American spokesman said the airline will add 40 Max jets to its fleet by the end of 2019. It has 100 on order." Existing and remaining Boeing 737-800 / 823s (two-class A321 and 32B aircraft will be “densified” with the new Meridian seats and Spacewall lavatories as well) will be configured to the same seat plan as the 737-MAX 8, going from 160 to 172 total seats.

Link to full article in CNN Money, 3 May 2017.

*Boeing aircraft are changing nomenclature. Like the existing 747-8 and 787-8 and -9, the 737 MAX 8 on order by AA will be the -8, not -800.

HISTORICAL / COMPARISON:

Boeing 737-100 "Fat Albert" entered service with Lufthansa in 1968
MTOW 110,000 lb; Range 1,540 nm; 85 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-400 "Classic" entered service in 1984
MTOW 150,000 lb; Range ~2,100 nm; 147 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-800 "Next Generation" entered service in 1998
MTOW 174,200 lb; Range ~2,935 nm; 150-160-172 passengers in 2 AA class config

Boeing 737 MAX 8 entered service in 2017
MTOW 181,200 lb; Range 3,610 nm; 172 passengers in AA 2 class config

*Click HERE for a list of registration “tail” numbers of 737 MAX 8 deliveries.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 8:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Just read on CNN Money where AA will be cutting the seat pitch of the new B738 Max. Compared to the current B738's, there will be 10 more seats, and the seat pitch will be 29" for some seats and 30" for others. No thanks!
We have merged your thread into the existing thread about the 737 MAX aircraft AA is going to add.

For those speculating about IFE and WiFi, the specifications for these are listed in the Wikipost, which has been updated to reflect the CNN announcement of three rows of 29" seat pitch.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; May 3, 2017 at 9:04 am
Old May 3, 2017, 8:55 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by YtravelF
And this is why US went bankrupt. Twice.
Great airline. Back breaking CASM
I'm no apologist for Parker, but US went bankrupt in 2002 and 2004 - both before he took the helm after the 2005 merger with HP. He also became CEO of HP right after 9/11/01 and somehow kept the airline operating long enough to hitch up with US.

He made a lot of unpopular cost cutting decisions in the ensuing years, but he kept US afloat and was able to orchestrate the biggest airline merger in history.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
That is the bottom line, isn’t? If we do not want a government control then we have to show by an action using our wallet. Not by talk, complaining all the time but same time we do not stop flying.
Looking at how things are going in the US and in Europe, I don't see this "use your wallet" strategy working. Pitch has become abysmal on pretty much all airliners. Avoiding one airline means flying on another airline with similar pitch, service and fees.

That said, some airlines are on my no-fly list and I have no problem paying (reasonable) more to avoid them altogether.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There seems to be a race among airlines to see who can reach bottom first.

American: 29 or 20 inch seat pitch

Jet Blue: 34 inch seat pitch

I use American less often since the last few AAdvantage changes have made that almost worthless. Might be time to just kick them to the curb.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
I'm no apologist for Parker, but US went bankrupt in 2002 and 2004 - both before he took the helm after the 2005 merger with HP. He also became CEO of HP right after 9/11/01 and somehow kept the airline operating long enough to hitch up with US.

He made a lot of unpopular cost cutting decisions in the ensuing years, but he kept US afloat and was able to orchestrate the biggest airline merger in history.
You misunderstood the post that you quoted.

YtravelF was criticizing pre-merger, pre-Parker, US Air for its overly generous F cabins on its A321s. I disagree with YtravelF's conclusions, but their post had nothing to do with HP or Doug Parker's US Airways.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
If only JetBlue was an option for more of us.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Austin787
The CNN article states 3 rows will be 29" - perhaps basic economy fares can be restricted to sitting only in those rows. Thing is, if 29" pitch doesn't reduce bookings, they could go further and make all rows 29" (or cut some rows to 28") and add even more seats. It's possible MCE could be only the exit and bulkhead rows which have extra legroom by design.
I don't know why that song "Knees in the trap, knees knees in the trap" keeps playing in my head.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
And as nobody has mentioned it, the 737 Max will also have smaller toilets, how that is possible, I don't know.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
The news report I saw tonight said the last three rows of the aircraft would be at 29" seat pitch. However, they did not specify the aircraft type.
The talking head who read the news report you watched apparently chose not to read the CNN Money report accurately, because it clearly indicated when it was released on Tuesday that two of the 29" rows would be the last two rows and that the third would be farther forward. CNN also made clear that AA was talking about the yet-to-arrive 738Max. You need a new news provider.

Originally Posted by richarddd
Perhaps just three rows is an experiment. If they can get away with three rows, they could easily do it for more rows.
Three rows at 29" may or may not be an experiment, but AA's new configuration is clearly 30". Because the seats are on tracks with distinct slots, three rows have to be at 29" because there isn't quite enough space for every row to have 30". The plane is three inches too short to do that, and the seat tracks are not infinitely adjustable - they're only adjustable in the increments provided in the notches in the tracks.

Originally Posted by Austin787
The CNN article states 3 rows will be 29" - perhaps basic economy fares can be restricted to sitting only in those rows. Thing is, if 29" pitch doesn't reduce bookings, they could go further and make all rows 29" (or cut some rows to 28") and add even more seats. It's possible MCE could be only the exit and bulkhead rows which have extra legroom by design.
If AA removed one inch of seat pitch from each row of the proposed 30" rows, would that result in an extra 29" so as to fit in another row? Because the exit rows are relatively fixed in position, I don't think there are sufficient rows on the plane to make all of them 29" and fit in another row. If every row were 28", on the other hand, then there's plenty of room for another row.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
As I said on Post #12 , will there be enough room around a seat to place a tablet or a lap top and view the screen comfortably? Possible that will still feel the bang on the back of the seat from a passenger behind try to place a tablet or a lap top around and moving every minute to make feel comfortable.
Indeed. You definitely can't use a laptop with that little space, and even a tablet is a bit questionable.

As for the notion that this is only going to affect kettles flying on basic economy fares, that's only true up until the point that there's IrrOps. Just a few weeks ago I ended up in the very back row of a 737 when my flight's inbound was diverted. I was glad to be able to leave, but as far as I could tell the entire back row was EXPs, at least one of whom had previously been booked in F.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wonder if we're going to get to a weird world where RJs become more desirable than a mainline jet. I mean, a CR7 isn't long enough to shoehorn another row into just by playing seat-pitch games. (Not that I'm daring anybody to try!!)

I already find RJs more desirable if I'm flying on an airline as a non-elite: at least then, I cannot get a middle seat.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I'll take an E175 or CRJ900/700 any day over mainline!
Old May 3, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I wonder if we're going to get to a weird world where RJs become more desirable than a mainline jet. I mean, a CR7 isn't long enough to shoehorn another row into just by playing seat-pitch games. (Not that I'm daring anybody to try!!)

I already find RJs more desirable if I'm flying on an airline as a non-elite: at least then, I cannot get a middle seat.
I will admit...seat width on the RJ's tends to be much better than the new birds (looking at you, 788). We may be getting to the reality you described above.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CLTRob
I'll take an E175 or CRJ900/700 any day over mainline!
after reading all of this I think that will be the new consensus of the most comfortable plane to fly period...crazy.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Gshumway
And as nobody has mentioned it, the 737 Max will also have smaller toilets, how that is possible, I don't know.
Make 1 urinal only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.