Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the 737 MAX 8. There are other threads to post to:

Recent crashes and effect on AA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-recent-737-max-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s.html

7M8 First / Business cabin and MiQ seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1880631-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-first-business-seats-etc.html

7M8 Main Cabin and MCE cabins, Meridian seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1892121-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-meridian-main-cabin-mce-seats-etc.html

7M8 Space overhead bins related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1951594-max-oasis-big-bins-agents-told-not-proactively-gate-check-bags-jan-2019-a.html

7M8 Spacewall lavatory related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1919254-737-max-8-bathrooms-air-carrier-access-act-compliant.html

Configuration is F 16, 156 Y (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi via ViaSat, 110 VAC Universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output.

For the Guide / master threads on this aircraft, please see

Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

and Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

In the order of Boeing 737 aircraft, AA included 100 737 MAX 8 orders with options for 60 more. The first 737 MAX -8 flew at the assembly facility in Renton, WAshington, USA on 29 Jan 2016. Deliveries to AA commenced in late in 2017, with four delivered in 2017. 16 more will be delivered during 2018, 20 during 2019. IATA code B38M; AA code "7M8".

NOTE: ALL 737-800s (and two class A321-32B) will be retrofitted to 737 MAX 8 seating, slimline “advanced“ lavatories, IFE and WiFi standards under Project Oasis over the next three years.
American Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 SSW

The 737 MAX 8* is essentially a replacement to the 737-800 with passenger capacity of 172. (Read onward for seat configuration.) Range with Advanced Technology (AT) Split Scimitar Winglets is expected to be 3,515 nmi (6,510 km). (In comparison, the APB Blended Winglets 737-800 has range of 3,115 nmi or 5,765 km fully loaded.) See this page on Gizmodo for more information.

The fourth generation 737 MAX 8 (first flight 2016) includes airframe and wingtip modifications (Boeing “Scimitar” Advanced Technology Winglets) for enhanced efficiency and will use the larger and more efficient CFM International LEAP-1B engines. This will allegedly allow a 20% improvement in fuel burn over A320 aircraft, a 4% improvement over the A320neo* (new engine option), a 14% fuel burn reduction over the 737NG / 737-823 currently in use and a 37% fuel burn reduction over the 757-200.

(*The slightly longer and longer range A321-200neo will come in 2019.)

Boeing 737-800 Scimitar Split Winglets

The 737 MAX has the Boeing Sky Interior with LED interior lighting based on the Boeing 787 interior, overhead bins and fee-based ViaSat satellite-based Ka band WiFi. Individual seatback seatback video screens are no longer offered; AA has chosen free high quality live streaming music and movies (streamed from an onboard server and generally using the free downloadable GoGo Entertainment app) and high speed ViaSat Ka band Internet are said to be both sufficient and “the wave of the future”. At seat power is universal plug at 110 VAC plus 5.1 VDC USB; "large" overhead (cases stand on side) bins are provided.

The new 787 MAX aircraft carry 172 passengers: 16 in First, 30 in Main Cabin Extra and 126 in Main Cabin for a total of 172. Main Cabin will feature 30" seat pitch with Rockwell Collins Interior Design "Meridian" slimline seats, which AA states these seats' 30" pitch "feels like" 31" and is a more comfortable seat than previous generations (of slimline seats). The new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y) are “densified”, as well.

(AA revised its original plans to provide some rows of 29" pitch seats in the MAX 8 by switching out one MCE row, as of 12 June 2017.) See memo posted by CO777 in post 377.

"An American spokesman said the airline will add 40 Max jets to its fleet by the end of 2019. It has 100 on order." Existing and remaining Boeing 737-800 / 823s (two-class A321 and 32B aircraft will be “densified” with the new Meridian seats and Spacewall lavatories as well) will be configured to the same seat plan as the 737-MAX 8, going from 160 to 172 total seats.

Link to full article in CNN Money, 3 May 2017.

*Boeing aircraft are changing nomenclature. Like the existing 747-8 and 787-8 and -9, the 737 MAX 8 on order by AA will be the -8, not -800.

HISTORICAL / COMPARISON:

Boeing 737-100 "Fat Albert" entered service with Lufthansa in 1968
MTOW 110,000 lb; Range 1,540 nm; 85 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-400 "Classic" entered service in 1984
MTOW 150,000 lb; Range ~2,100 nm; 147 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-800 "Next Generation" entered service in 1998
MTOW 174,200 lb; Range ~2,935 nm; 150-160-172 passengers in 2 AA class config

Boeing 737 MAX 8 entered service in 2017
MTOW 181,200 lb; Range 3,610 nm; 172 passengers in AA 2 class config

*Click HERE for a list of registration “tail” numbers of 737 MAX 8 deliveries.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Fanjet
IIRC, the overhead bins are going to be the kind where you can load in a roll-on suitcase sideways, and not flat.
DL has installed such bins on their retrofit A319/A320. I like them a lot and found them a bit of a revelation ("why didn't someone thing of this sooner!"). But an FA commented that they have issues with them (seemed to be about closing them and perhaps making them stay latched from what I could ascertain) and that the company hadn't consulting the FAs about this new bins. But that was a single comment from a single FA (and said in a simple matter-of-fact way from a very professional and attentive FA)
Old May 3, 2017, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Jet Blue: 34 inch seat pitch
Even Jetblue is adding seats to their planes. Their pitch will still be better than the majors (I think around 32?) but they are riding the same added-seat train concept and 34 will be no more.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118

Something that all the hysterics in this thread misses is the emphasis on segmentation of customers in the current market (not just at AA). This is classic example of that. More seats allows AA to continue to match the ULCCs on price for that large number of customers that only cares about price (remember that quote from a couple of years ago that more than 50% of AA's revenue comes from once or twice a year customers). At the same time they continue to offer expanded legroom and comfort sections for those willing to pay for it (MCE and F). The business logic for this move is very clear if you look at statements airline management (at AA, at UA, at DL) have been making.
(Bolding mine). The problem is that better seats are not guaranteed, nor are they always available. Heck, as a Platinum, I find myself unable to select MCE on a fairly regular basis.

There are all kinds of scenarios where high fare and elite passengers will be stuck in these 29" pitch seats. At 6'4", I'm not sure I'm willing to risk that.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
You have to remember to 99% of Americans this is non interesting story=until they fly next time then suddenly they are like "wow what's going on here, I can barely fit in this seat."
Yes and no. I have plenty of friends who are infrequent flyers who have been sharing this story with interest (negative interest to be certain!). Will it influence their future purchasing decisions? Doubt it in most cases, which goes to your points. But they are certainly showing interest, at least in the "wow, the airlines suck!" transient way until the next bad airline story comes along.

That said, I do have a friend who claims to have sworn off UA after the recent spate of events, so who knows.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:07 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Is this something the AA directors and shareholders can be proud of? Is this really the only way to make a decent return on equity?
You must've missed this article from last week:

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...-airlines.html
"This is frustrating. Labor is being paid first...again. Shareholders get leftovers," wrote Citi analyst Kevin Crissey in a note to clients. Investors showed their displeasure by sending American Airlines shares down 7.3 percent to $43 in morning trading.

I used to be bothered by this... but then a great professor in B-School gave a talk that went something like this: "Business is simple. Profit = Revenue - Expense. As a business you are at war, not just with competitors, but also with your suppliers (which includes employees) and customers. They want the opposite that you do. You need to win on all three fronts."

Fortunately the competition front isn't something that AA really needs to worry about anymore since the industry has reached the typical steady state of 3-ish major-ish competitors.

If you were running AA or DL or UA, wouldn't you do the same? (And besides, if it flops, you'd still have a multimillion exit package that you negotiated up front.)

I also wouldn't count on the current Federal government. They'd probably let AA+DL+UA merge and rebrand themselves as "Freedom Airlines", and switch to standing room only.

My only regret is all that time, money, suffering I did to earn lifetime gold. How stupid do I feel!
Old May 4, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjque
(Bolding mine). The problem is that better seats are not guaranteed, nor are they always available. Heck, as a Platinum, I find myself unable to select MCE on a fairly regular basis.

There are all kinds of scenarios where high fare and elite passengers will be stuck in these 29" pitch seats. At 6'4", I'm not sure I'm willing to risk that.
Sure, there will be cases at the margins where people end up in these seats, but unlikely that that will both be a big enough number of passengers and happen often enough to cause those passengers to book away from AA so as to have any appreciable negative effect on AA's revenue.

Remember FT is a representative sample of AAs customer base.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ty97
DL has installed such bins on their retrofit A319/A320. I like them a lot and found them a bit of a revelation ("why didn't someone thing of this sooner!"). But an FA commented that they have issues with them (seemed to be about closing them and perhaps making them stay latched from what I could ascertain) and that the company hadn't consulting the FAs about this new bins. But that was a single comment from a single FA (and said in a simple matter-of-fact way from a very professional and attentive FA)
I'm not too crazy about them. The design engineers had to operate on a couple of assumptions, the biggest being that kettles won't hear "Bin can fit more bags" and not think "My bigger bag will now fit". Any FA or any one of us know otherwise. As far as I can tell DL still gate checks as many carry-ons as any other flight with normal bins.

Seems to be a lateral advancement at best.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by ty97
Even Jetblue is adding seats to their planes. Their pitch will still be better than the majors (I think around 32?) but they are riding the same added-seat train concept and 34 will be no more.
on mint, it's still 33 seats and Y seats on B6's E-jet are really comfortable.

At this rate. B6's Y will soon be better than AA's F
Old May 4, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by florens
29" is indeed very tight and for tall guys like me this is too tight, especially on longer flights.
Spirit is 29"... Welcome to the world of low cost carriers.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dtc
As a business you are at war, not just with competitors, but also with your suppliers (which includes employees) and customers. They want the opposite that you do. You need to win on all three fronts."
This explains so much about people I know who went to business "school."
Old May 4, 2017, 8:09 am

AA sees this as competing with Spirit and Frontier, but I see this as giving those airlines a boost.

Right now, many people (myself included) simply exclude the ultra low cost airlines from our searches because we do not want to deal with the "experience."

But iff AA and UA are providing the exact same experience, then why wouldnt I do a full price comparison?

And I have a feeling Spirit and Frontier and going to continue winning on price.

People here love to say that travelers will always book on cost, but we know its not true because the ultra low cost market is still a really small percentage of the air market. If thats what everybody wanted, wouldnt Spirit be loading up A380s with 28" pitch? No, unless thats the default experience.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesinclair

People here love to say that travelers will always book on cost, but we know its not true because the ultra low cost market is still a really small percentage of the air market. If thats what everybody wanted, wouldnt Spirit be loading up A380s with 28" pitch? No, unless thats the default experience.
"People here love to say B6 has a great product with comfortable seats and nice amenities, and people will choose to fly them over competition, even if more expensive. But we know it's not true because Jetblue is not serving every major route in the US"

Both of these arguments are fallacies.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Ever been on a DL 737-900? They pioneered the narrow lav. You can elbow both walls when you are standing at the toilet doing your thing. Taking a little width out of the lavs allowed DL to add 4 seats to those torture tubes.
Yes, I have been in that narrow lavs before. I did not know about the narrow lavs on other airlines, and as I entered it was that obvious right away I felt inside of the lav being tight. My thought was wider people will not enjoy using this lav.

Even for me, on long trans continental flights I often want to wash may face toward second half of the flight, can feel my face getting bit oily. Inside of that narrow lav will be difficult to wash my face. Least on trans continental wide body there seems to be one wheel chair accessible lav which is roomy, but AA aircraft tend to have that in business class, so if I am stuck in Main Cabin then…
Old May 4, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes, I have been in that narrow lavs before. I did not know about the narrow lavs on other airlines, and as I entered it was that obvious right away I felt inside of the lav being tight. My thought was wider people will not enjoy using this lav.
Beyond your remarks to SJC ORD LDR, one can add, so what? I'm not taking up residence in an airplane lav - it's a quick 'Do what one needs to do, wash hands,' and exit. Are 3 lavs for 160 Delta coach passengers on a 739 superior to 2 lavs for 144 in a 738? Yes, obviously. (And I'm not a narrow guy.)
Old May 4, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
AA sees this as competing with Spirit and Frontier, but I see this as giving those airlines a boost.

Right now, many people (myself included) simply exclude the ultra low cost airlines from our searches because we do not want to deal with the "experience."
I don't have (the proprietary) data, but business writers and airline management keep saying that people buy on price. We don't know how large your 'many people' really represent as a fraction of coach-cabin travelers. We do we see that, on a revenue passenger miles growth metric, Spirit/Allegiant/Frontier have been growing faster than AA/DL/UA/AS; in Europe over the last decade the difference is even more stark in favor of LCC and ULCC carriers vs. legacies.

Pretentious FTers (a small but noisy subset) can mock Spirit all they want: Look at its ROIC. It is a successful business.

Delta execs started using very clear language from ~2009: we intend to give passengers what they'll pay for. Not what they say they want but then don't buy - what they'll pay for. More planes with premium cabins, lie-flats in long-haul business, wifi, extra-legroom seating across ~90% of the combined mainline and Delta Connection fleet... but one needs to pay for it.

I don't know that 30" coach pitch in the AA-chosen seats is going to provide an adequate baseline of comfort. I do accept that it's AA management's responsibility to keep testing (in focus groups, and in the market) for what product elements passengers will pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.