Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the 737 MAX 8. There are other threads to post to:

Recent crashes and effect on AA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-recent-737-max-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s.html

7M8 First / Business cabin and MiQ seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1880631-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-first-business-seats-etc.html

7M8 Main Cabin and MCE cabins, Meridian seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1892121-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-meridian-main-cabin-mce-seats-etc.html

7M8 Space overhead bins related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1951594-max-oasis-big-bins-agents-told-not-proactively-gate-check-bags-jan-2019-a.html

7M8 Spacewall lavatory related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1919254-737-max-8-bathrooms-air-carrier-access-act-compliant.html

Configuration is F 16, 156 Y (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi via ViaSat, 110 VAC Universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output.

For the Guide / master threads on this aircraft, please see

Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

and Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

In the order of Boeing 737 aircraft, AA included 100 737 MAX 8 orders with options for 60 more. The first 737 MAX -8 flew at the assembly facility in Renton, WAshington, USA on 29 Jan 2016. Deliveries to AA commenced in late in 2017, with four delivered in 2017. 16 more will be delivered during 2018, 20 during 2019. IATA code B38M; AA code "7M8".

NOTE: ALL 737-800s (and two class A321-32B) will be retrofitted to 737 MAX 8 seating, slimline “advanced“ lavatories, IFE and WiFi standards under Project Oasis over the next three years.
American Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 SSW

The 737 MAX 8* is essentially a replacement to the 737-800 with passenger capacity of 172. (Read onward for seat configuration.) Range with Advanced Technology (AT) Split Scimitar Winglets is expected to be 3,515 nmi (6,510 km). (In comparison, the APB Blended Winglets 737-800 has range of 3,115 nmi or 5,765 km fully loaded.) See this page on Gizmodo for more information.

The fourth generation 737 MAX 8 (first flight 2016) includes airframe and wingtip modifications (Boeing “Scimitar” Advanced Technology Winglets) for enhanced efficiency and will use the larger and more efficient CFM International LEAP-1B engines. This will allegedly allow a 20% improvement in fuel burn over A320 aircraft, a 4% improvement over the A320neo* (new engine option), a 14% fuel burn reduction over the 737NG / 737-823 currently in use and a 37% fuel burn reduction over the 757-200.

(*The slightly longer and longer range A321-200neo will come in 2019.)

Boeing 737-800 Scimitar Split Winglets

The 737 MAX has the Boeing Sky Interior with LED interior lighting based on the Boeing 787 interior, overhead bins and fee-based ViaSat satellite-based Ka band WiFi. Individual seatback seatback video screens are no longer offered; AA has chosen free high quality live streaming music and movies (streamed from an onboard server and generally using the free downloadable GoGo Entertainment app) and high speed ViaSat Ka band Internet are said to be both sufficient and “the wave of the future”. At seat power is universal plug at 110 VAC plus 5.1 VDC USB; "large" overhead (cases stand on side) bins are provided.

The new 787 MAX aircraft carry 172 passengers: 16 in First, 30 in Main Cabin Extra and 126 in Main Cabin for a total of 172. Main Cabin will feature 30" seat pitch with Rockwell Collins Interior Design "Meridian" slimline seats, which AA states these seats' 30" pitch "feels like" 31" and is a more comfortable seat than previous generations (of slimline seats). The new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y) are “densified”, as well.

(AA revised its original plans to provide some rows of 29" pitch seats in the MAX 8 by switching out one MCE row, as of 12 June 2017.) See memo posted by CO777 in post 377.

"An American spokesman said the airline will add 40 Max jets to its fleet by the end of 2019. It has 100 on order." Existing and remaining Boeing 737-800 / 823s (two-class A321 and 32B aircraft will be “densified” with the new Meridian seats and Spacewall lavatories as well) will be configured to the same seat plan as the 737-MAX 8, going from 160 to 172 total seats.

Link to full article in CNN Money, 3 May 2017.

*Boeing aircraft are changing nomenclature. Like the existing 747-8 and 787-8 and -9, the 737 MAX 8 on order by AA will be the -8, not -800.

HISTORICAL / COMPARISON:

Boeing 737-100 "Fat Albert" entered service with Lufthansa in 1968
MTOW 110,000 lb; Range 1,540 nm; 85 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-400 "Classic" entered service in 1984
MTOW 150,000 lb; Range ~2,100 nm; 147 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-800 "Next Generation" entered service in 1998
MTOW 174,200 lb; Range ~2,935 nm; 150-160-172 passengers in 2 AA class config

Boeing 737 MAX 8 entered service in 2017
MTOW 181,200 lb; Range 3,610 nm; 172 passengers in AA 2 class config

*Click HERE for a list of registration “tail” numbers of 737 MAX 8 deliveries.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by iahphx
So you mean if was a pretty ordinary domestic flight?

Given all the hysterics about this aircraft, I'm curious to fly it just to see for myself. The problem is the aircraft is still rare in the AA fleet, so it will likely be awhile. I have flown several 737s on other airlines with the smaller bathrooms, and found those complaints to be overblown: the inconvenience was equivalent to finding an electric hand dryer instead of paper towels in a public restroom.

BTW, does anyone know why the new aircraft don't have Boeing new "space bins" for carry-on luggage? I've been doing some flying on Alaska this summer and it seems like their entire 737-900 fleet now has them. Once you get used to the slightly odd aesthetics, the space bins are very useful -- at least they are when customers can figure out how to use them!
Right, pretty ordinary, I certainly don't see it to be the end of the world it has become to the flying community. I was really worried about my long flight in it given the feedback online and ended up fine. Yea the little sink in the lav is a pain, but I used it once.

The pivot up style bins? The plane I was on had them.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

Shame on AA

Originally Posted by DELTA
We continue to invest in seatback screens, because customers continue to tell us they're important. With seatback screens, customers don't have to choose between using their phones or watching a movie. Whether they want to work, relax, or a little bit of both -- we want to give our customers the ability to choose and make the most of their time in flight.
Delta continues to lead the industry. While Parker continue his move to remove seatback IFEs. Delta is adding them.

So Delta is continuing to be the customer orientated airline and AA continue to be competitor orientated airline. Shame on you, AA+BA, two airlines that cost cut on their own fleshes.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by chongcao
Delta continues to lead the industry. While Parker continue his move to remove seatback IFEs. Delta is adding them.

So Delta is continuing to be the customer orientated airline and AA continue to be competitor orientated airline. Shame on you, AA+BA, two airlines that cost cut on their own fleshes.
Parker is a "call girl" (I'll use a more pc term) of Wall Street. Clearly Wall Street likes the no frills model because those airlines have the fattest margins. The CEO of DL has stood up to Wall Street several times, trying to balance shareholders, customers and employees.

What I've noticed is that AA operationally is far behind DL. Its not to say DL doesn't seem to have their "moments" but it appears to me DL tries to limit operational meltdowns. This previous Saturday I experienced 2 total screwups, one involving GAs that were too busy sharing photos on their phone rather than explain why after 15 minutes boaring was to commence it wasn't. On the first operational screw up the Captain was totally embarrassed, particularly after he got approval for alternate routing and thereby shaving 15 minutes off flight time. That additional 15 mintues would have allowed a number of paxs to still make connections but a clueless operation at DFW kept us waiting for nearly 45 minutes even after we were already over an hour late.

The pilot sitting next to me commuting to home indicated this is becoming a common theme. Cleary Parker and Company are more concerned with riping out ammenities and jamming more paxs into an a/c than focusing on opeational excellence.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:13 am

American 737 Max 8 cabin tour

American Airlines Boeing 737 Max 8 Cabin tour. This aircraft has 16 first class, 30 main cabin plus and 126 main cabin seats for a total of 172
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Did I miss the part where he shows the bathroom or the legroom between seats?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
So it looks like F still gets 2 windows per row, with the exception of the bulkhead. Am I seeing this okay, or for an illusion? Hopefully F isn't too tight then?

Fake privacy bulkhead still a bummer though...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: American Airlines
Reminds me of the torture chambers of the air British Airways flies. There are days I simply wish I didn't travel as much for work, or that I did not enjoy being in other places quite as much. Recently, I've investigated cargo ship travel. While rather slow, the accomodations are rather comfortable.
IflyonAA and TXguy like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Spanish
Fake privacy bulkhead still a bummer though...
I have mixed feelings about the bulkhead. For me, who is in coach from time to time, would like to be able to choose the bulkhead and not have to find a place for both bags. Being able to use the under-seat in the first row of coach can be helpful.

OTOH, as someone who likes the last row of F, this setup adds to the potential that someone's dog or child or adult will use my seat as a bumper...
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by Score8; Oct 31, 2018 at 7:36 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Super80Fan
AA's fleet is so inconsistent.

LUS A319: Power, WiFi, no AVOD
LAA A319: Power, WiFi, AVOD

LUS A320: No power, WiFi, No AVOD

LUS A321: No power, WiFi, No AVOD
LAA A321: Power, WiFi, AVOD

LAA 737 (Classic): Power, WiFi, Overhead Entertainment
LAA 737 (Enhanced): Power, WiFi, AVOD
LAA 737MAX: Power, WiFi, No AVOD
But I’m sure we’ll be happy they’re moving toward fleet consistency.

Densified Awaysis Meridian seats in Coach, MiQ in F, Spacewall toilet prison.
No AVOD other than entertainment served to your PED.
Power at seat, satellite based WiFi.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Statman
I hate to break it to you, but $15k is chump change. I have a client who has a $1M annual travel budget and AA wouldn't even look at them twice in terms of giving them special discounts.
It isn't chump change when it comes out of my pocket. Comparing me to someone managing a $1M travel budget for a company is unfair, and I wasn't asking for special discounts.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by axck

very insightful. I assume you believe the FCC’s decision to ban net neutrality was to protect your internet bill from increasing as well.

if you don’t agree with me, here’s FlyerTalk saint SFO777 saying the same thing yesterday (that he liked your post is not lost on me)

Ethiopian Airlines: Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes on way to Kenya [ET302 ADD-NBO 10MAR19]

OMNI. Learn it, love it, use it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
UK and Ireland just issued a stop flying for the MAX.

Ryan Air...aren't they a mostly 73 fleet? I wonder how many MAX's they have.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

There are two threads that have had posts regarding the recent Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes. All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the 737 MAX 8. There are other threads to post to:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html

Aircraft Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

Aircraft Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Meridian Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

MAX & Oasis big bins: Agents told not to Proactively Gate Check Bags Jan 2019

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...compliant.html

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
There have been two threads that have had posts regarding the recent Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes. All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html

Aircraft Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

Aircraft Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Meridian Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

MAX & Oasis big bins: Agents told not to Proactively Gate Check Bags Jan 2019

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...compliant.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.