Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

All posts regarding AA 737 MAX 8 safety etc. as related to the crashes have been consolidated in one thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...37-max-8s.html.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the 737 MAX 8. There are other threads to post to:

Recent crashes and effect on AA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939333-recent-737-max-crashes-effects-aa-737-max-8s.html

7M8 First / Business cabin and MiQ seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1880631-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-first-business-seats-etc.html

7M8 Main Cabin and MCE cabins, Meridian seats: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1892121-aircraft-guide-aa-boeing-737-max-8-7m8-meridian-main-cabin-mce-seats-etc.html

7M8 Space overhead bins related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1951594-max-oasis-big-bins-agents-told-not-proactively-gate-check-bags-jan-2019-a.html

7M8 Spacewall lavatory related: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1919254-737-max-8-bathrooms-air-carrier-access-act-compliant.html

Configuration is F 16, 156 Y (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi via ViaSat, 110 VAC Universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output.

For the Guide / master threads on this aircraft, please see

Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc.

and Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc.

In the order of Boeing 737 aircraft, AA included 100 737 MAX 8 orders with options for 60 more. The first 737 MAX -8 flew at the assembly facility in Renton, WAshington, USA on 29 Jan 2016. Deliveries to AA commenced in late in 2017, with four delivered in 2017. 16 more will be delivered during 2018, 20 during 2019. IATA code B38M; AA code "7M8".

NOTE: ALL 737-800s (and two class A321-32B) will be retrofitted to 737 MAX 8 seating, slimline “advanced“ lavatories, IFE and WiFi standards under Project Oasis over the next three years.
American Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 SSW

The 737 MAX 8* is essentially a replacement to the 737-800 with passenger capacity of 172. (Read onward for seat configuration.) Range with Advanced Technology (AT) Split Scimitar Winglets is expected to be 3,515 nmi (6,510 km). (In comparison, the APB Blended Winglets 737-800 has range of 3,115 nmi or 5,765 km fully loaded.) See this page on Gizmodo for more information.

The fourth generation 737 MAX 8 (first flight 2016) includes airframe and wingtip modifications (Boeing “Scimitar” Advanced Technology Winglets) for enhanced efficiency and will use the larger and more efficient CFM International LEAP-1B engines. This will allegedly allow a 20% improvement in fuel burn over A320 aircraft, a 4% improvement over the A320neo* (new engine option), a 14% fuel burn reduction over the 737NG / 737-823 currently in use and a 37% fuel burn reduction over the 757-200.

(*The slightly longer and longer range A321-200neo will come in 2019.)

Boeing 737-800 Scimitar Split Winglets

The 737 MAX has the Boeing Sky Interior with LED interior lighting based on the Boeing 787 interior, overhead bins and fee-based ViaSat satellite-based Ka band WiFi. Individual seatback seatback video screens are no longer offered; AA has chosen free high quality live streaming music and movies (streamed from an onboard server and generally using the free downloadable GoGo Entertainment app) and high speed ViaSat Ka band Internet are said to be both sufficient and “the wave of the future”. At seat power is universal plug at 110 VAC plus 5.1 VDC USB; "large" overhead (cases stand on side) bins are provided.

The new 787 MAX aircraft carry 172 passengers: 16 in First, 30 in Main Cabin Extra and 126 in Main Cabin for a total of 172. Main Cabin will feature 30" seat pitch with Rockwell Collins Interior Design "Meridian" slimline seats, which AA states these seats' 30" pitch "feels like" 31" and is a more comfortable seat than previous generations (of slimline seats). The new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y) are “densified”, as well.

(AA revised its original plans to provide some rows of 29" pitch seats in the MAX 8 by switching out one MCE row, as of 12 June 2017.) See memo posted by CO777 in post 377.

"An American spokesman said the airline will add 40 Max jets to its fleet by the end of 2019. It has 100 on order." Existing and remaining Boeing 737-800 / 823s (two-class A321 and 32B aircraft will be “densified” with the new Meridian seats and Spacewall lavatories as well) will be configured to the same seat plan as the 737-MAX 8, going from 160 to 172 total seats.

Link to full article in CNN Money, 3 May 2017.

*Boeing aircraft are changing nomenclature. Like the existing 747-8 and 787-8 and -9, the 737 MAX 8 on order by AA will be the -8, not -800.

HISTORICAL / COMPARISON:

Boeing 737-100 "Fat Albert" entered service with Lufthansa in 1968
MTOW 110,000 lb; Range 1,540 nm; 85 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-400 "Classic" entered service in 1984
MTOW 150,000 lb; Range ~2,100 nm; 147 passengers in 2 class config

Boeing 737-800 "Next Generation" entered service in 1998
MTOW 174,200 lb; Range ~2,935 nm; 150-160-172 passengers in 2 AA class config

Boeing 737 MAX 8 entered service in 2017
MTOW 181,200 lb; Range 3,610 nm; 172 passengers in AA 2 class config

*Click HERE for a list of registration “tail” numbers of 737 MAX 8 deliveries.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
[Im hoping some of our members will recently have flown, or will soon fly, the Bummer Bee, so we can have some seat and cabin data in our threads for these new aircraft. (In the post-737-823 end, probably one thread for F/D and another for MC and MCE will suffice.)

Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 First / Business Seats, Etc. now that it is in service (entered Service November 2017).

and Guide: AA Boeing 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 Main Cabin, MCE Seats, Etc..

If y’all have, we’d love to read your comments.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I agree with these LAA FA's: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ment-bad-idea/
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:20 pm

Looking at the F cabin on this plane..if they plan to make that the standard then you can bet it will be Euro business sooner rather than later for most flights other than premium transcon routes. The seats are basically Y seats with more width and more pitch, which of course means they're superior to the current J offering in European short-haul, but also it signifies a departure from the concept of a higher quality, premium seat itself in F. The mentality behind that will lead straight to Euro business.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Looking at the F cabin on this plane..if they plan to make that the standard then you can bet it will be Euro business sooner rather than later for most flights other than premium transcon routes. The seats are basically Y seats with more width and more pitch, which of course means they're superior to the current J offering in European short-haul, but also it signifies a departure from the concept of a higher quality, premium seat itself in F. The mentality behind that will lead straight to Euro business.
America is the richest country on Earth.
If I can get a flatbed, 4 course hot meal service and bar with champagne between MAA and CMB in J (a 45 min non premium flight) then I should be able to get a similar service on an American carrier.
These AAuto upgrades have to end however and the premium cabins should shrink a bit.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
It isn’t about the auto upgrades. It is about the revenue management. What price point and what market for F. AA is behind the curve here, but improving. And EU/UK don’t do upgrades and their F is in name only.

Unfortunately I think that with the densification of Y the old standard Horton AA 24-F standard (757) could be sold with competent IT/management and still give out upgrades to entice top elites. This seems to be Wall Street — look how Kirby’s sharp and overdue expansion plans at UA have been savaged by the Street...they want seat growth without additional airframes...so we get densification. The folly here is that 32-34” MCE is a compelling buy-up or that 36” F with a snack basket and surly service is worth a double buy-up (or triple from BE). If you segment, it can’t be uniformly downwards.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by schertz
It isn’t about the auto upgrades. It is about the revenue management. What price point and what market for F. AA is behind the curve here, but improving. And EU/UK don’t do upgrades and their F is in name only.

Unfortunately I think that with the densification of Y the old standard Horton AA 24-F standard (757) could be sold with competent IT/management and still give out upgrades to entice top elites. This seems to be Wall Street — look how Kirby’s sharp and overdue expansion plans at UA have been savaged by the Street...they want seat growth without additional airframes...so we get densification. The folly here is that 32-34” MCE is a compelling buy-up or that 36” F with a snack basket and surly service is worth a double buy-up (or triple from BE). If you segment, it can’t be uniformly downwards.
If Y is being made miserable than J/F should be an enticing offer.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:08 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
????

[<redacted>

????

While I agree I really find his voice to be somewhat juvenile, the current VPAs in use were in place before US/AA were one airline (I recall seeing the same VPAs in the Summer of 2015-they replaced the VPAs featuring AA employees during this time...) and I highly doubt that DP or US had anything to do with selecting the voice over artist.

And it wasn't like AA's prerecording announcements were better...I recall the post-landing video that AA had where some woman loudly announced "We know you're ready to be on your way....we look forward to flying with you again soon" to be similarly distasteful.
___
On an unrelated note, I flew CLT-JFK-CLT last week-with all flights operated by an "first generation" LAA 738-it simply had drop down LCDs and the standard Boeing 737 NG interior.

I was seated in Y, and I was surprised to see how many people were actually viewing the IFE. On the return leg, we were delayed because another passenger seemed to steal another passenger's iPad, and the #2 FA went through the Y cabin offering headphones for the IFE, and she ran out...twice. She kept having to run back to the rear galley to get another baggie of them. Again, when I went to the lavatory midflight the vast majority of pax seemed to be viewing the dropdown monitors.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 12, 2018 at 12:09 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have all worked hard to keep the involuntarily merged AA and US airline fora friendly, informatative and mutually respectful. Members have made it so.

Posts that are broad brush attacks against a group of people, everyone who works at AA or worked at HP or US, are factually not correct, violate the FlyerTalk Rules, are inflammatory, unnecessarily provocative and disruptive to the purposes of this forum. Such posts will be summarily deleted, and repeated posting of that nature may result in disciplinary practices defined in the Rules being applied.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting link to the Rules

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.”

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 20, 2018 at 11:08 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just flew 2 DL 739's in FC and it seems like AA is just copying the bathrooms that DL has on their 739s......the sink was so tiny and looked just like the ones on these new AA 73M's.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just flew 2 DL 739's in FC and it seems like AA is just copying the bathrooms that DL has on their 739s......the sink was so tiny and looked just like the ones on these new AA 73M's.
Yep, the Delta 739s have been very well hated ever since they came out. Absolutely terrible, even in F.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There seems to be extraordinary interest amongst bloggers and reporters about (among all things) the lavs on the new AA 737 MAX 8's. All of the stories suggest that these lavs present a truly miserable experience. I haven't flown the new AA aircraft yet, but I've flown the MAX on other airlines (including WN) and I've encountered a noticeably smaller lav. Are these the exact same lavs as on the new AA aircraft?

I do not recall my lav experience on the WN Max aircraft to be "horrible." I recall noticing that the lav was smaller, and that was about it. About the level of mild annoyance I get when I encounter a regular public restroom that has only an old fashioned hand dryer and not paper towels. In other words, a petty annoyance that doesn't influence my purchasing decisions. Like I don't avoid restaurants that have hand dryers and not paper towels. Is this a correct assessment of the impact of smaller aircraft lavs?

A more significant problem, I would think, (and not one much discussed) is the fact that the AA MAX aircraft reportedly have only 2 lavs in the back. That's not a lot of lavs for the number of pax, and I could easily imagine significant bathroom lines on longer flights (at least on WN, all pax can use the third forward lav). Seems to me that the "correct number" of coach lavs on this aircraft would be three. Again, I don't think this is anywhere near significant enough to avoid flying these aircraft, but I suspect the number of lavs is going to be more of an annoyance than the size of the lavs.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The lack of MCE seats (30 out of 150) and 33" pitch in MCE is enough for me to want to avoid these "hell ships".
Old May 30, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The lack of MCE seats (30 out of 150) and 33" pitch in MCE is enough for me to want to avoid these "hell ships".
Is that really a terrible percentage for MCE? I suppose it depends on how elite-heavy your typical routes are.

And 33" in MCE doesn't seem particularly problematic to me -- especially since, I assume, they've limited recline to a reasonable level given the tightness of the configuration. Like the other day, I was flying an old AA 767-300 (only 21 MCE seats!) and I was seated in regular coach because I couldn't get enough contiguous MCE for my family. The pitch was fine, until this small woman in front of me put her seat all the way back on my daytime flight. That seat back must have gone back about 6 inches, with the top of her seat actually overhanging the bottom cushion of my seat. Use your imagination to envision that "pretzel seating"! Honestly, given that the new MAX seats are designed for current aircraft configurations, I think 33" pitch won't be "hell ships" at all. No paradise, of course (especially since they are slimline), but not a material deterioration in current coach cabin comfort.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The regular 738s show 30 seats out of 144 and 34-40 inch pitch.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The regular 738s show 30 seats out of 144 and 34-40 inch pitch.
Personally, I'll take all the pitch I can get (thank you, exit row seating), but honestly I would never pay for anything more than 34 inches (assuming the recline from the seat in front of me isn't "nuts"). You can probably shrink that by an inch when you're talking about slimline seats (remember, it's measuring the distance between a certain point on one seat with the same point on the seat behind it, not actual legroom that's being measured). Which is why average pitch is going to decline with slimline sets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.