Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of AA interlining bags on separate PNRs / What to do at PHX for 7 hours?

Chances of AA interlining bags on separate PNRs / What to do at PHX for 7 hours?

Old Jan 22, 17, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Hello all

My partner and I have a BA reward flight from PHX to LHR on 12th March (booked with avios, travelling in F), and need to get from LAX to PHX to make the flight.

The BA flight leaves at 8:40pm, and our connection options are either 12:43 > 2:15 or 4:20 > 5:53. The former is going to leave us with nearly 7 hours to kill in PHX, 3 of which will be land side before we can recheck our bags (and we're going to have quite a few of those to lug around!). The latter leaves it a little tight in case of irrops, as on separate PNRs we won't be protected - this is too high a risk so we'll probably go for the former.

There is no awards space (bookable using Avios) on either flight, so I can't see any way to get this onto the same PNR as you can't mix cash/award on the same PNR.

So, my questions are:
1) what are the chances of AA releasing more lowest level reward seats (in either cabin) over the coming weeks - if I can get this on the same PNR all problems are solved!

2) Assuming I've got to book with cash on a separate PNR, what are the chances of AA checking our bags through to LHR? 7 hours would be far easier if we didn't have to lug bags round for the first few!

3) Any suggestions on what to do in PHX for 7 hours?

If it makes any difference, I'm BA gold/OW Emerald and my partner is BA silver/OW Sapphire.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:22 am

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Two weeks ago American refused to check my bags through to Asia on separate AA PNRs.
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yup...approximately zero chance of through checking on separate tickets/PNRs. AA won't even do this on their own flights anymore.

As to chances of AA releasing more lowest level reward seats, it's anyone's guess. However, I would venture to say the likelihood of that happening would be relatively close-in if at all, should there still be unsold seats. Lately, I've found more lowest level award space opening a day or two before departure as opposed to longer-out. That's only been my experience checking a handful of routes though.
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by charlie1105 View Post
you can't mix cash/award on the same PNR.
You can, actually. AA will do this. It may take 10 calls to find an agent competent/willing enough, but it is possible. Of course that's assuming you're booking with AA pesos, not avios. I don't know if BA can sell you the LAX-PHX segment as revenue and combine it with your award flight. I'm guessing not, given how terrible BA has become in pretty much every respect (maybe even worse than AA).

Agree with taking the earlier flight. 7 hours at PHX is an eternity but better that than miss your flight and muck up your trip!
Old Jan 22, 17, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA MM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold
FWIW, AA offers protection for IRROPS on separate Oneworld tickets. Given my distaste for short connections, I've (thankfully) never needed to rely on it, but whichever flight you choose, there is a definite benefit to taking AA to PHX.
Old Jan 22, 17, 1:20 pm

AA lands in terminal 4 and BA counter is in terminal 4 so you are good. The only problem is BA counter opens x hours before flight. I would take a 7 min taxi ride or light rail to Tempe and go to Casey Moore's Oyster House even though I order other items.
Old Jan 22, 17, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by charlie1105 View Post
2) Assuming I've got to book with cash on a separate PNR, what are the chances of AA checking our bags through to LHR? 7 hours would be far easier if we didn't have to lug bags round for the first few!
I got curious about this and called the EXP Desk. They have recently changed the policy and will no longer interline separate PNRs for OW partners (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-partners.html)
Old Jan 22, 17, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mixed queries often don't work very well on FT. You may find some answers in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ssistance.html (AA isn't likely to release further SAAver awards this close in unless RM has grossly estimated seat sales - possible [use ExpertFlyer or the like to see sales], but unlikely IMO)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html (AA will NOT check / interlink your baggage through to LHR on separate PNRs, for reasons explained in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ne-2016-a.html

Also note: "Unfortunately, due to federal security restrictions imposed by the Transportation Security Administration, we do not offer any storage at the airport. We recommend that you check with the airline you are ..." (PHX airport)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ns-thread.html (destination fora are the best places to look for generic airport information and layover possibilities)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rport-lus.html (as PHX is an AA hub, you might benefit from information in this thread)

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets is irrelevant, as the issue would really be whether BA would protect you if you misconnected at PHX (unless AA are demonstrably responsible for the misconnect). What BA would do would best be ascertained in the BAEC forum.

Whether AA can have award and paid flights on one PNR is irrelevant, as you've purchased your BA tickets with Avios. This would again be best asked in the BAEC forum.

JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 17 at 3:19 pm Reason: Amend
Old Jan 22, 17, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
It's very hard to store luggage at most US airports. The only place I know of is Miami. One option to deal with the luggage might be a day rate at an airport hotel. You'll have to google that.

If I had 7 hours to kill at the Phoenix airport (and could deal with the luggage), I'd take an Uber to Old Town Scottsdale (it's about 15-20 minutes), walk around a bit, have dinner, and head back to the airport. The luggage is the complication.
Old Jan 22, 17, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
AA will protect and handle rebooking of the LHR flight if they get in late. They will not however check bags through, nor will the AA CoC, or bag policy apply to the BA ticket even if they have to rebook you.

Thus I wouldn't worry about issues with the BA flight, unless you must be at LHR exactly when scheduled. If you don't mind a few hours or one day delay if somethings happens, then take the later flight.
Old Jan 22, 17, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
If you;re flying from LAX, check LGB too, they're pretty good with saver inventory. I'm hoping you're EXP, then you'd be able to cancel and reissue tickets with different starting airports. Just need to find a competent agent to hold the PHX-LHR while adding.
Old Jan 22, 17, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Three separate issues:

1. Don't confuse PNR's with tickets. You may combine multiple tickets in a single PNR. But, in the case of a redemption, that will need to be done at the time of the redemption ticket issue. Only BA can issue the avios ticket. Thus, the AA cash ticket cannot be added to the PNR at this point. For future, a competent BA agent or a decent TA can issue the redemption and cash tickets in a single PNR.

2. AA will not check bags across multiple tickets unless they are in the same PNR (the OW policy). Few agents even have the capacity to make this happen anymore.

3. AA will rebook you if it causes you to miss your BA flight, even if the latter is on a separate ticket. However, fair warning: you are in BA F and there is only one flight per day. No way of knowing when the next flight is with F availability. Alternatives will be via domestic narrowbody on AA through PHL/ORD/JFK. Domestic F will be a poor cousin for that segment and again no guarantee that there is F availability. Thus, depending on your schedule, you may wind up choosing to downgrade to CW / J or even worse, just to get home.
Old Jan 22, 17, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
You might be able to rent a car for relatively cheap and go down to Tempe or Scottsdale for a bit. The car giving you a place to store your bags.
Old Jan 22, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg View Post
You might be able to rent a car for relatively cheap and go down to Tempe or Scottsdale for a bit. The car giving you a place to store your bags.
The car is a good idea! Just factor in an extra 45 minutes each way because the car rental facility is a 20-30 minute bus ride from the terminal.
Old Jan 22, 17, 8:38 pm

Programs: really nothing anymore
If you are going to have recheck luggage you also might consider looking at Southwest from LAX to PHX. They possibly have more flights that would save you from a 7 hour layover in PHX. I couldn't imagine having to deal with a 7 hour layover in PHX.

You could also take the airport train to the light rail station then either go into Phoenix or Tempe. I would vote for Tempe.

Search this Thread