Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of AA interlining bags on separate PNRs / What to do at PHX for 7 hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of AA interlining bags on separate PNRs / What to do at PHX for 7 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by catmndu
If you are going to have recheck luggage you also might consider looking at Southwest from LAX to PHX. They possibly have more flights that would save you from a 7 hour layover in PHX. I couldn't imagine having to deal with a 7 hour layover in PHX.
Yes, this isn't a bad idea at all. No need to stick to AA if there's zero advantage in rechecking luggage or IROPS protection. Not worth a piddling amount of Avios for a shorthaul Y jump, you'll get free checked bags on Southwest as well (two).
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:57 pm

Unfortunately that's a sunday..... no really good Southwest options....
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated. I think I'll look into the car hire / day rate hotel room and see what I can come up with. (Southwest timings aren't much better, and there's no reward availability from LGB). Failing that I'll just make sure I've got some good films on the laptop and stock up on G&T in LAX lounge before leaving!

I had thought about just not collecting bags from baggage claim, and going back a few hours later to track them down saying "I forgot", but I guess that's a bit risky/not advised!

Thanks again
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:50 pm

Another option would be to just rent a car and drive from LAX to PHX. It's about a 6 hour drive and not terribly interesting. But you would save the hassle of needing to lug bags around town and worry about potential delays.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I really wish more airport would provide luggage storage for a reasonable (or even unreasonable) fee. I've taken advantage of this many time internationally at both airports and train stations and it is always well worth the cost. Most baggage claim areas at airports would be able to find space for it. With all the mergers over the years there are bound to be some open offices to rent. Problem is there are likely more lucrative options to fill the space.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I really wish more airport would provide luggage storage for a reasonable (or even unreasonable) fee. I've taken advantage of this many time internationally at both airports and train stations and it is always well worth the cost. Most baggage claim areas at airports would be able to find space for it. With all the mergers over the years there are bound to be some open offices to rent. Problem is there are likely more lucrative options to fill the space.
There's plenty of empty space outside security in most airports but no one wants to sign off on the security issue. Historically, back in the days of Euro terror, lots of bad things happened in luggage storage places so airport managers simply won't sign off on the idea. The only exception I know of is in Miami where they have a xray to check your luggage in the storage room and ... it is Miami.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
If you can't find ANY storage options in the airport, then I would rent a car and drive around the area. Some suggestions:
Papago Park
Old Town Scottsdale - lots of good restaurants
Tempe - Mill Avenue
All of the above are within a 15 min drive radius (or less) from the airport. The rental car facility is about 10 min drive by free shuttle bus from airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.