Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
New AA Boarding as of Priority March 1, 2017
including minimum gate arrival time to board

Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

NOTE: Changes have been announced to be implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.

Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey
Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Military
Group 2 - Executive Platinum / Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / Sapphire
Group 4 - Gold / Air Pass / Executive Citi credit card / Alaska MVP / purchased Priority Boarding
Group 5 - Premium Economy / Main Cabin Extra / Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards
Group 6-8 - Coach Groups
Group 9 - Basic Economy

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

CURRENT Boarding Progression On Flights Departing the U.S. and Canada through 28 February 2017

Slightly different processes for:
  • Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Two-Class Service (First Class / Main Cabin)

• Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Two-Class Service (Business Class / Main Cabin)

• Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Three-Class Service & International Departures

General Boarding Order within or departing U.S.A. and Canada: (as of 1/1/2017)
  • Preboarding (may include those with disabilities or mobility impairments and their companions, users of Five Star Services, occasionally Concierge Key customers and, overseas, parents with infants and small children). (Five Star customers may even board prior to preboarding in some instances.)

• Concierge Key members

• First Class and U. S. Military (usually First Class only overseas)

• Business Class (where only Business is offered, Military in Uniform in USA)
    - or, departing US three class flight - Business Class, AAdvantage Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald

• AAdvantage Executive Platinum / AAdvantage Platinum / oneworld Emerald / Sapphire (if not previously boarded)

• Platinum Pro, Platinum and oneworld® SapphireSM

• AAdvantage Gold / oneworld Ruby

• AirPass / Priority

• Group 1

• Group 2

• Group 3

• Group 4

Group 1 / Priority includes those purchasing Choice Essential or Choice Plus fares, those with credit cards including Priority boarding, etc.

NOTE: "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

Boarding Group order assignment other than class of service and Elites:

Currently AA assigns boarding group by check in method: (c/o ThreeJulietTango)
  • Group 1: Bulkhead rows, wheelchairs, credit card holders, purchased fare bundle, purchased Main Cabin Extra, purchased Group 1

• Group 2: Online check-in, exit rows, connecting inbound from another airline

• Group 3: Curbside check-in, self-service check-in

• Group 4: Agent check-in
Boarding Times:

See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:
Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR
45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:
Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC
35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777
Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737
Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link
)

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."[/QUOTE]

Prior language: Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate

To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings.

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:**
  • Minimum check-in is at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure in most locations (changed March 2015) Link

• Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure
For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:
  • Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires (75), Dublin(75), Caracas (90) and Maracaibo (90).

• Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure
*Particular seats on the aircraft are not guaranteed.

**In St. Thomas (STT) the minimum time for checking in with or without baggage is 90 minutes (1.5 hours) prior to the scheduled departure.

Link to aa.com full listing of check in times with and without baggage
Revised 9 Feb 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Wow. So much concern about who's first in line.

This whole status thing: it's not REALLY about boarding an aircraft, is it? I mean, if 10-20 people go ahead of you on a flight holding 120, that's not really going to endanger your overhead space. Maybe somebody can explain some practical reason for this intense concern over "elite" levels? It seems more like some kind of affirmation of social status. "I'm a Grand Duke, do you hear? Not some petty Marquis!"

I can see a real utilitarian difference between Group 4 and Group 8, but not between Group 4 and 5.
Not truly a status thing. EXP's fly 100k miles a year. Used to be we could easily UG to F. Try getting a M/TH/F UG between DFW and LAX. The least they can do is let EXP not deal with half the plane when they call EXP/Plat.

That's been my #1 complaint when AA calls and asks for what they could do to improve the service for me.

Does anyone really want to stand on the jet bridge instead of being in their seat? Small benefit for EXP but appreciated.

Separately, regarding J, I wonder how may J domestic flights there are? Sure if all you are doing is flying international but I'm guessing since I can recite most of the DFW international flights, the J issue affect many fewer customers.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Don't think this will make the process any better. It might make it worse. The real problem is gate lice. Priority boarding does me no good if I can't make my way to the gate when my number is called.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Don't think this will make the process any better. It might make it worse. The real problem is gate lice. Priority boarding does me no good if I can't make my way to the gate when my number is called.
Ok, but why are gate lice a problem? I think a significant part of it (by no means all, but significant) is the large number of people who think, sensibly, "I'm in group 1 (or group 2), I board towards the beginning, I should hang out near the gate".
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by ashill
Ok, but why are gate lice a problem? I think a significant part of it (by no means all, but significant) is the large number of people who think, sensibly, "I'm in group 1 (or group 2), I board towards the beginning, I should hang out near the gate".
Or a lack of seats close enough to the gate to hear the boarding announcements (without other gates talking over them).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA PLT
JMO, but I don't think much is going to change in terms of the boarding experience. Experienced travelers will understand the distinction but the average confused leisure traveler will likely just funnel through like normal as soon as the general priority starts. Hardly believe the hurried gate agents are going to be carefully checking every boarding pass.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ashill
I think a significant part of it (by no means all, but significant) is the large number of people who think, sensibly, "I'm in group 1 (or group 2), I board towards the beginning, I should hang out near the gate".
+1 This is why no matter how the priority grouping changes there will always be a large group of people crowded at the gate. Everyone wants to be first in whatever group they have.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Wow. So much concern about who's first in line.

This whole status thing: it's not REALLY about boarding an aircraft, is it?
Of course it is. I flew 97 segments on AA alone last year, not including award travel. The last thing I want to do is add an extra 15+ minutes to each flight waiting around the boarding area or on the jetway, or waiting to retrieve a bag that I had to either stow several rows behind me or check to a baggage claim.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
it's not REALLY about boarding an aircraft, is it
That's all it is. Period.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Well, the advertising hoarding for the Aviator card at JFK T8 says "Preferred Boarding" Not sure if the wording was always that way but made me chuckle after reading this thread...

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Of course it is. I flew 97 segments on AA alone last year, not including award travel. The last thing I want to do is add an extra 15+ minutes to each flight waiting around the boarding area or on the jetway, or waiting to retrieve a bag that I had to either stow several rows behind me or check to a baggage claim.
Quite...I had two flights yesterday, ex-JFK and a connection at CLT.

The flight out of JFK was a 737 and I got to the gate what must have been just after F had started boarding, even with a cabin that had maybe five spare seats (until the FA magically upgraded people once in the air ) I still only just got my bag in the overhead!

On the A319 out of CLT (one of the 8 seat F specials) if I hadn't got to the gate about 30secs before boarding started I'd have to have stowed my rollerbag in Y.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:08 pm

As an EXP / Sole First Class traveler who travels mostly domestic, I have to weigh in here as far as the "gate lice" goes. Because I always travel with 2 bags - 1 overhead euro sized bag with my garments in it and 2 - under seat shouldered laptop bag, I have to follow a few rules:

1) Be at the gate, lined up or near the front waiting patiently at the Priority boarding line BEFORE they call boarding. This sometimes means cutting my lounge access short

2) Ensure there's enough space for CK's and pre-boards to make their way in front of me / other first class folks.... but not enough for the average joe to just start filing in behind everybody else.

3) Boarding pass / mobile app out / screen unlocked / ticket ready to go.

#1 is the most important to me, because often times I'm in First Bulk Head whereby both my Carry-on and Laptop bag have got to go up. If I miss #1.... than the trickledown effect of "SRDH" (S&#! Rolling Down Hill) starts to occur.... in the form of:

1) Not being able to get in front of the crowd past the gate agent until they're already boarding Groups 2 / 3.

2) Making all the people in Groups 2 / 3 really irritated that you're "trying to cut in front of them" despite that they're now occupying all lanes (General / Priority).

3) Being known as "that guy" for the duration of the flight

4) Eventually making your way to your first class seat, but realizing that there is absolutely no overhead storage space, and the flight attendant's not going to put your stuff in their locker.

5) Now making everyone aggitated again, as you move deeper into the "BUS" to find some overhead storage space.

6) Making the guy who was behind you mad, because you just put your stuff above the seat HE was trying to put his stuff in.

7) Continuing to make everyone else mad (including the flight staff) that you now have to make your way back up to first class, forcing people to backup, or scoot around their already disgruntled manors whilst they grunt profanity's about you under their breath, and wish you a most unpleasant death.

8) Hearing that "groan" by the rest of the people trying to board as they see you plop into that comfy first class chair thinking about you as "that guy" while you put on your Bose Noise Cancelling headset, and they're squeezing into Row 30 Bravo.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:20 pm

Group 3 - PP/Platinum/Sapphire

Does ^^ refer to Platinum card holders, or Platinum elite status?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by poisson
Group 3 - PP/Platinum/Sapphire

Does ^^ refer to Platinum card holders, or Platinum elite status?
Platinum Pro status, Platinum status, and Sapphire.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
IF this new system helps alleviate with the "gate lice" and boarding out of turn I am all for it! It does use the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) which I think should help in the boarding process.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
IF this new system helps alleviate with the "gate lice" and boarding out of turn I am all for it! It does use the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid).
I honestly don't see this helping any....
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
IF this new system helps alleviate with the "gate lice" and boarding out of turn I am all for it! It does use the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) which I think should help in the boarding process.
I'd say I'm cautiously pretty optimistic about it-- they definitely registered the problem in formulating this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.