Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
New AA Boarding as of Priority March 1, 2017
including minimum gate arrival time to board

Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

NOTE: Changes have been announced to be implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.

Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey
Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Military
Group 2 - Executive Platinum / Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / Sapphire
Group 4 - Gold / Air Pass / Executive Citi credit card / Alaska MVP / purchased Priority Boarding
Group 5 - Premium Economy / Main Cabin Extra / Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards
Group 6-8 - Coach Groups
Group 9 - Basic Economy

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

CURRENT Boarding Progression On Flights Departing the U.S. and Canada through 28 February 2017

Slightly different processes for:
  • Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Two-Class Service (First Class / Main Cabin)

• Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Two-Class Service (Business Class / Main Cabin)

• Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Three-Class Service & International Departures

General Boarding Order within or departing U.S.A. and Canada: (as of 1/1/2017)
  • Preboarding (may include those with disabilities or mobility impairments and their companions, users of Five Star Services, occasionally Concierge Key customers and, overseas, parents with infants and small children). (Five Star customers may even board prior to preboarding in some instances.)

• Concierge Key members

• First Class and U. S. Military (usually First Class only overseas)

• Business Class (where only Business is offered, Military in Uniform in USA)
    - or, departing US three class flight - Business Class, AAdvantage Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald

• AAdvantage Executive Platinum / AAdvantage Platinum / oneworld Emerald / Sapphire (if not previously boarded)

• Platinum Pro, Platinum and oneworld® SapphireSM

• AAdvantage Gold / oneworld Ruby

• AirPass / Priority

• Group 1

• Group 2

• Group 3

• Group 4

Group 1 / Priority includes those purchasing Choice Essential or Choice Plus fares, those with credit cards including Priority boarding, etc.

NOTE: "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

Boarding Group order assignment other than class of service and Elites:

Currently AA assigns boarding group by check in method: (c/o ThreeJulietTango)
  • Group 1: Bulkhead rows, wheelchairs, credit card holders, purchased fare bundle, purchased Main Cabin Extra, purchased Group 1

• Group 2: Online check-in, exit rows, connecting inbound from another airline

• Group 3: Curbside check-in, self-service check-in

• Group 4: Agent check-in
Boarding Times:

See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:
Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR
45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:
Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC
35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777
Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737
Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link
)

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."[/QUOTE]

Prior language: Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate

To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings.

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:**
  • Minimum check-in is at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure in most locations (changed March 2015) Link

• Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure
For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:
  • Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires (75), Dublin(75), Caracas (90) and Maracaibo (90).

• Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure
*Particular seats on the aircraft are not guaranteed.

**In St. Thomas (STT) the minimum time for checking in with or without baggage is 90 minutes (1.5 hours) prior to the scheduled departure.

Link to aa.com full listing of check in times with and without baggage
Revised 9 Feb 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:08 am

At least it makes more sense than the current system, where 'group 1' is still about the 4th or 5th group to board. I just cannot believe that an airline needs to break a 737 or A319 into 9 boarding groups. It is so painfully slow and dehumanizing being divided in so many castes. Most airlines can board a 747 or A380 in the same time that AA takes for 150 pax, while WN can board the same plane in 1/4 the time.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by downinit
Most airlines can board a 747 or A380 in the same time that AA takes for 150 pax, while WN can board the same plane in 1/4 the time.
WN, and most airlines operating 747s or A380s, don't charge for checked bags. I think that has a lot to do with the slow boarding on US airlines other than WN -- checked bag fees mean much more demand for overhead bins. (That said, I haven't flown WN in years, maybe a decade, not because I avoid them but because they very rarely operate the routes I want/need to fly.)

I don't think the number of groups has much at all to do with the time it takes to board; there is essentially never a lull in the boarding caused by the next group waiting to be called. Quite the contrary; the next group is, in my experience, always called before the current group is done, and there's essentially always a logjam on the jetbridge. Fewer groups won't change any of that.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
In December I had a flight and on my ticket it said Group 0
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FineArtLandscapePhotographer
In December I had a flight and on my ticket it said Group 0
I presume that GA's, as they do now, will board smaller aircraft with lighter loads in combined groups. No reason to belabor the process if there are not that many people.

But, the current system of having 4-5 groups before Group 1 makes no sense and is particularly confusing for those who do not travel often or who travel on other carriers. When you see "Group 1" on your BP it ought to mean "Group 1". Now it does. If it says "5" it does not make you less valuable, it just means that you board after the "4's". That is all.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

Group 4 - Gold/Executive Credit Cards/Alaska MVP/Purchased Priority Boarding
Group 5 - Main Cabin Extra/Premium Economy/Regular Credit Cards
Why comes MCE and PE AFTER purchased priority boarding??

Group 6-8 - Coach groups
Group 9 - Basic Economy
Even worse, if everyone has a gold credit card and nobody buys basic economy, then Main Cabin Extra will board last!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why comes MCE and PE AFTER purchased priority boarding??

Even worse, if everyone has a gold credit card and nobody buys basic economy, then Main Cabin Extra will board last!
Well, if everyone's CK, then F boards last. But they're not, so it doesn't. Similarly, it is not true that everyone has a gold credit card; there are always plenty of passengers in what will now be groups 6-8, despite FlyerTalk hyperbole about the entire plane being EXP. Let's be real; it's only half.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

+1 about LAX, add Dominican Republic routes.

I am ashamed to say that out of frustration I once rolled my carry on over the feet of people clogging the gate area as boarding began. I shouldn't have done it. Infrequent flyers don't understand what they gate agents mean when they make boarding announcements. Some of them have to be reminded to present their boarding passes by the agent at the jetway door.
Originally Posted by BThumme
Isn't this the truth. This is my biggest gripe with AA right now. I don't usually use the term gate lice, but it's absolutely insane at some places (like LAX).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:06 pm

The smartphone boarding passes haven't helped very much. All too often, users struggle to locate the scan or get their displays to wake up. I don't know why gate agents don't ask them to step aside so boarding can continue. It is the modern day equivalent of elderly people who write checks at supermarket checkout lines: "excuse me dear, how much did you say it is?"

Originally Posted by downinit
At least it makes more sense than the current system, where 'group 1' is still about the 4th or 5th group to board. I just cannot believe that an airline needs to break a 737 or A319 into 9 boarding groups. It is so painfully slow and dehumanizing being divided in so many castes. Most airlines can board a 747 or A380 in the same time that AA takes for 150 pax, while WN can board the same plane in 1/4 the time.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

Correct, the boarding groups serve two primary purposes. One purpose is pre-boarding certain groups (F, CK, etc.) The other purpose is to control the crowd. The size of the crowd determines how and whether groups 2 through 9 are used. If the crowd is small enough, or once the crowd becomes small enough, gate agents will say "now boarding all groups and all rows on flight XXX through gate XXX."

Originally Posted by Often1
I presume that GA's, as they do now, will board smaller aircraft with lighter loads in combined groups. No reason to belabor the process if there are not that many people.

But, the current system of having 4-5 groups before Group 1 makes no sense and is particularly confusing for those who do not travel often or who travel on other carriers. When you see "Group 1" on your BP it ought to mean "Group 1". Now it does. If it says "5" it does not make you less valuable, it just means that you board after the "4's". That is all.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by AAlwaysAmerican
+1 about LAX, add Dominican Republic routes.

I am ashamed to say that out of frustration I once rolled my carry on over the feet of people clogging the gate area as boarding began. I shouldn't have done it. Infrequent flyers don't understand what they gate agents mean when they make boarding announcements. Some of them have to be reminded to present their boarding passes by the agent at the jetway door.
Add ST. Thomas and San Juan. The gate areas can't accommodate the crowds of people who are not frequent flyers.

Oh boy, it is a MESS. I joke with my husband that his Big Dog DYKWIA comes out at those gates with his "please step aside!" Our son and I just fall in behind him. He has issues with crowds and wants to get on that plane and settled, period, and the craziness at those gates nearly puts him over the edge.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by ashill
Well, if everyone's CK, then F boards last. But they're not, so it doesn't. Similarly, it is not true that everyone has a gold credit card; there are always plenty of passengers in what will now be groups 6-8, despite FlyerTalk hyperbole about the entire plane being EXP. Let's be real; it's only half.
And according to FT, that percentage will be greatly reduced next year.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
The smartphone boarding passes haven't helped very much. All too often, users struggle to locate the scan or get their displays to wake up. I don't know why gate agents don't ask them to step aside so boarding can continue. It is the modern day equivalent of elderly people who write checks at supermarket checkout lines: "excuse me dear, how much did you say it is?"
I was guilty of slowing the boarding process as it seemed that nearly every time I boarded, somebody would call. I've now resorted to printing a paper pass at the AC.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Guilty of that, although they usually work if I had the screen lit up. Had it dimmed on a WN flight and the agent told me to go to CS and get a paper boarding pass and right as he said it the boarding pass scanned. Now know to always put the screen brightness up.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Regarding purchasing Priority Boarding, AA should consider changing it to purchasing Group Boarding. That is, if you want to board with Group 1, you pay $$$. If you want to board with Group 2, you pay $$, and with Group 3, $.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
How about preboarders? Where do they fit in?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.