Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I have an issue with AA on an award ticket - hopefully it still falls in this topic. About a month ago, I called to check on availability and it was available so reserved it. A few days later still did not get any ticket number/email, called again and they said something went wrong, so it was sent again. After 2 weeks, I still did not get anything, so I called again and this time I was told that there was something wrong with the partner confirming it, but after on hold for a couple of times, I was told that it was ok and I should get a ticket within 48-72 hours. After 48 hours, I get an email to contact AA urgently concerning this. I called and this time they told me, no deal because they could not confirm with the partner.

Zero help nor any apologies on this and basically they just told me find my own solution (this is < 1 week on when I need to travel). Wrote to Customer Service and they basically had some textbook apologies but still said that it was not their fault and I had to find my own solution.

Due to this I had to fork out quite an amount due to last min booking. Just wondering what should I do, push for compensation? In my opinion this is totally not acceptable - if you find an award availability and tell me it's all confirmed and than last minute you tell me no, it's not possible.

These days AA Customer support has been the worst in all my years as an ExPlat - already a few times writing with valid reason to complain, and they just like to brush things off. I am so fed up and find this to be close to my last straw of their attitude.

Thanks in advance and cheers!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: American Exec Plat Hilton Dia, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec E, Delta Gold,
  • Date - Nov16
  • AAdvantage Status - Plat
  • Fare class - First (sticker upgrade)
  • What happened - Oversold VDB
  • Compensation - $500
  • Comments - VDB due to overbook situation. This was the last flight DFW-TYS. Negotiated $500, up from $250, with the gate agent and acting sup.. as well as confirmed first upgrade the next morning. My only complaint was that they put me up in a Super 8 that night, which was horrible. Other than that, had to push the agent for the better compensation.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AdditionalScreening
  • Date - Sep 5th, 2017
  • AAdvantage Status - Platinum Pro (but Platinum when this happened)
  • Fare class - Economy
  • What happened - Boarded a flight from JFK-ORD at normal boarding time (4:45 PM) despite the fact that the captain was stuck in traffic. He didn't arrive until we'd been sitting on the plane for over an hour and a half, and no announcement was made explaining the delay (until an off-duty captain went into the cockpit and demanded one). By the time we pulled away, weather prevented us from taking off until 8:15 PM, which caused me to miss my connecting flight to OKC and spend the night at ORD. Had we not boarded so early, I could've rebooked and still made it to my destination on time.
  • Compensation - AA has offered $400 worth of vouchers
  • Comments - Vouchers were offered after I submitted an official complaint several days ago.
Should I push them for more? They didn't refund the flight itself, so the vouchers are worth only slightly more than I paid for the trip. Do I have a chance of getting a refund and the vouchers?
I think $400 is more than fair for that issue.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:06 am

Compensation for delayed flight

My wife was flying ORD-MAN when the plane had a mechanical problem and had to land at YYT. The plane landed around 5AM local time and the rescue flight won't depart until around 8PM local time. She will arrive at the destination about 24hr late. Because of this delay, we've had to rebook a few things and lost out on two train tickets.

Should I expect any compensation from AA? Is a mechanical problem considered an "extraordinary circumstance"?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I've gotten compensation from AA due to a mechanical problem related diversion, so they'll probably throw some miles (or a voucher?) at you as a "goodwill gesture."

Feel free to check out the following thread of compensation; maybe others have experienced something similar
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
AA should provide meal vouchers for those 15 hours spent at YYT, although with no presence there, I'm not sure how that would work. Would they make arrangements through WestJet? Other than that, compensation would be in the form of miles and (maybe) a voucher for future travel. I doubt it will come in the form of reimbursement for the lost train tickets.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As you reference "extraordinary circumstances" I'm guessing you are hoping for EC261 compensation. A mechanical problem isn't extraordinary circumstances under EC261 but EC261 doesn't apply to an AA flight from ORD to MAN (it would apply to an AA flight from MAN to ORD). As FlyerWx said above, your wife might get some miles or a small voucher from AA. Sometimes AA is proactive in offering it, but if your wife hasn't seen anything proactively from them in a few days, then I would write in using the website.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by poisson
Should I expect any compensation from AA? Is a mechanical problem considered an "extraordinary circumstance"?
Extraordinary circumstance is the language of EU261 compensation rules, which do not apply here: AA is neither a European carrier nor did your flight depart from a European origin.
fedechat likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
AA should provide meal vouchers for those 15 hours spent at YYT, although with no presence there, I'm not sure how that would work. Would they make arrangements through WestJet? Other than that, compensation would be in the form of miles and (maybe) a voucher for future travel. I doubt it will come in the form of reimbursement for the lost train tickets.
Expect a good will gesture rather than compensation or reimbursement, and probably in miles or vouchers rather than money.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
In your complaint to them, you should mention the train tickets and their value.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease
Under EU 261 you would have gotten some expenses and 600 Euro each....... Unfortunately, that only applies to AA on departures fro EU.
So, given equal costs and similar comfort levels, take a European carrier when going TO Europe
From Europe, all carriers would have to pay.
On May 28, 2017, I scored double compensation due to a delay on BA that caused me to buy a new ticket on Finnair, and the Finnair flight made me miss a connection at ORD
If I had been able to reach BA, they would have transferred my ticket to Finnair and I would have only gotten 600 Euro instead of 1200.. Thank you BA for being unreachable.........
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
As you reference "extraordinary circumstances" I'm guessing you are hoping for EC261 compensation. A mechanical problem isn't extraordinary circumstances under EC261 but EC261 doesn't apply to an AA flight from ORD to MAN (it would apply to an AA flight from MAN to ORD). As FlyerWx said above, your wife might get some miles or a small voucher from AA. Sometimes AA is proactive in offering it, but if your wife hasn't seen anything proactively from them in a few days, then I would write in using the website.
I wasn't expecting that. I just used that terminology because things like weather usually aren't compensated.

AA sent all passengers to a hotel via bus and gave them some food at the hotel.

Last edited by poisson; Dec 19, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not use the word "compensation" as there is no compensation due.

AA will likely provide a customer service gesture in the form of a few miles. I had a responsibility to handle food and the daytime hotel was a nice thing and luckily available.

The consequential losses for train tickets and the like should be submitted to your wife's travel insurance under your travel interruption policy. Those will be paid in cash (check).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:36 am

Good news. My wife already received an email that 20K AA miles have been applied to her account. We didn't even need to contact them.

This is honestly why we usually try to fly AA. They have nice planes, good customer service, and can make a bad situation good.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
12/15/17 AA 4431 DCA-PHL. Weather delays of 5 hours. After (finally) reaching PHL, I waited for over an hour for my luggage. Made online complaint to AA, received 7500 miles.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:25 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Please follow the discussion in our 2018 version of the thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

Thanks! /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.