Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Right. Everyone's compensation is equally poor.
You're missing the point.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
That would have definitely sucked. I'm surprised the flight attendant didn't try to use tape and try to cover it with something.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
It might not be feasible 100% of the time, but this is when it helps to travel with eye shades. Of course this doesn't help if you're trying to work or relax, but it's as close as you'll get to a fail-safe if you resign yourself to taking a nap.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're missing the point.
I get the point. I just can't resist taking a cheap shot whenever this subject comes up. AA's customer service department has earned it.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
I was offered 10,000 miles. Given this fiasco, and the fact hat others are seeing 15000 for broken IFE (and they got there on time), I think thats a pretty pathetic start from AA.
Twitter confirmed the 10K. Not a good response.
Wrote back to customer relations that I was disappointed wit the response, focusing on how the gate agent refused my solution and used her bad one instead, and that lead to complications. Got a $200 voucher.

Last edited by ludocdoc; May 25, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by no2chem
I'm just afraid that I'm going to be marked as a frequent complainer...
Do you write in after every flight? Would your complaint be marked by hyperbolic language like "worst airline ever," "nightmare," "I'm never flying this airline ever again," "I'm going to contact my lawyer," etc?

As I suspect the answer is no to both the above, then you don't have to worry. A simple "there was this issue on my flight and I'm letting you know about it" is not going to get you marked as a chronic complainer.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
I was offered 10,000 miles. Given this fiasco, and the fact hat others are seeing 15000 for broken IFE (and they got there on time), I think thats a pretty pathetic start from AA.
I agree that AA seems to be offering inadequate compensation for mechanical-related delays. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to obtain a more reasonable goodwill gesture from AA related to such delays?
Old May 25, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Should I pursue this further with AA?

EXP here. Was travelling LGA-DFW on Monday with wife and 3 young children. The following happened:
1. Flight was delayed 2+ hours due to "pilot being stuck in traffic"
2. Prior to boarding, was told our original seats together in row 8 were broken. So they scattered wife and kids across the plane. I was put in a exit row, which IIRC is against regulations to have a parent of kids on the plane in an exit row

I emailed AA and they responded within 2 hours that they are sorry, but they do not compensate for changed seats. I think they totally missed my point.

Any suggestions how to proceed? Some miles would be nice for the delay since it actually turned into a big hassle.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Hey, GLD here. Original itinerary MAD-CLT-JFK-LIM, the last in LATAM, all on AA's metal, June 2nd.

CLT-JFK flight got delayed because the gate was being used for a flight to DFW that needed extra fuel for the strong weather they were having that day –got plenty of photos of the gates time extensions and the original tickets for my flight at the same gate–.

Eventually we were moved to another gate before the announced boarding time, where the plane sat fresh but couldn't be loaded bc the flight attendants were coming to CLT on another delayed flight. Eventually the flight got delayed under the D-I MCT for JFK –I had originally 1h2m, and the revised time after the delay was 30m, when the plane eventually made it, the connecting time was -10 m–. A nice gate agent helped me and re-routed me via MIA to LIM, providing with hotel and food vouchers.

However, my bags were kept in the CLT-JFK segment, and got lost for a while in JFK –for around 24 hours no one knew where they were. I openned a delayed bag case in CLT, checked again in MIA, and finally in LIM –at no point they were found. They finally arrived on the following JFK-LIM (operated by LATAM), and got a call to pick them around 14 hours after I landed in LIM –but a full 24 hours after my original scheduled arrival.

I am wondering if anyone thinks I should require any type of compensation from the airline, mostly for the annoyance of having to wear the same clothes for two days (from MAD, June 2, to LIM, June 4) and the unusual stress cause by this whole ordeal.

Last edited by MfromL; Jun 5, 2017 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Date May 25 2017
AAdvantage status EXP
Fare class Economy (O)
What happened
Flying IAH-DFW-SFO. DFW-SFO was severely delayed; the inbound aircraft PHL-DFW was stuck on the tarmac for 4 hours in PHL before cancelling the flight. Was one of the lucky few who rebooked onto the later flight arriving 2 hours after scheduled arrival (2 am vs midnight). Bags got lost on the way.

Instead of taking my scheduled return, I cancelled it and booked a 100 USD one way a little later in the week. Asked if AA could waive the change fee on the original ticket as the lost bag disrupted some plans that had to be rescheduled.

Result Change fee waived. All round well handled.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MfromL
I am wondering if anyone thinks I should require any type of compensation from the airline...
I don't think require is the word. Unless your MAD departure obligates AA to pay you - as AA's contract of carriage and U.S. law certainly don't.

Some miles for your inconvenience, perhaps.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't think require is the word. Unless your MAD departure obligates AA to pay you - as AA's contract of carriage and U.S. law certainly don't.

Some miles for your inconvenience, perhaps.
I was doubting the correct verb to use. I know I am not entitled to compensation per se, however it would be a nice gesture on AA's side to offer some type of compensation. Not for the flights but the bags, as it was a big mess up from them –the lugagge was kind of upsetting, after arriving at JFK it did not pass any scanner at all, altough I was told by at least 2 phone agents and 2 people on bag services it would be re-routed via MIA. I think that I would settle for some miles and a: we are sorry.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:14 pm

Date: June 2nd
AAdvantage Status: Gold
Fare class:Economy (O)
What happened: MAD-CLT-JFK-LIM, AA metal. Due to delays at CLT, the gate for CLT-JFK (AA2658) wasn't free for the incoming empty plane nor was the cabin crew –inbound to CLT on another delayed flight–, causing a delay of 1h38m, which led to a missconnection with LA 531 (JFK-LIM). I was re-booked by gate agent in AA1877 (CLT-MIA) and AA972 (MIA-LIM), departing early the next day –the rebooking center in concourse B was packed with folks from delayed flights related to DFW closure due to weather, and also were the phone centers–. Said gate agent also got me a hotel room on AA's dime and cash for food. Knowing that the bags were at JFK, I started a delayed bags case before embarking to MIA the following day, and made it to LIM, arriving 12 hours after planned (planned 8 am, june 3rd, made it by 8 pm).

My bags were loaded on the following day's LA531 and I received a call from AA bags services at LIM to pick them up at the airport around 14 hours after arriving. Wrote a complaint a couple of days later and got an evoucher today.
Compensation: $200 eVoucher [+re-booking, hotel for delay, $19 in meal vouchers at CLT]

Last edited by MfromL; Jun 7, 2017 at 3:23 pm
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by MfromL
Compensation: $200 eVoucher [+re-booking, hotel for delay, $19 in meal vouchers at CLT]
That's some of the nicest compensation I've heard about in a long time.

My travel companion and I went without our bags for three days in Madrid. AA's response? Pound sand.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Date 7 June
Route DFW to LHR
AA Gold

Flight went MX. Arrived 3 hours late. New plane. 5,000 AA miles arrived unprompted with a "we're very sorry" email.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:14 pm

New problem I've had

Original flight got cancelled today and was rebooked for tomorrow. I found a United flight that would work for today so called AA and got them to get me on the United fight. Now my United flight is going to be cancelled or atleast delayed long enough that I'll never make my connection tonight. My question is who do I hit up for some compensation?

Both cancellations/delays are mechanical not weather related.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.