Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for damages when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are bumped from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: DL GM
Posting on behalf of a colleague of mine, and don't know at the moment what their AAdvantage status is, if any. Will update this post as I get more info.

Date: 4/24/2017

AAdvantage status: Unknown

Fare class: G or Y (government fare)

What happened: Original routing was LBB-PHX-HNL. LBB-PHX delayed several hours due to mechanical which would have caused misconnect in PHX, rerouted to LBB-DFW-LAX-HNL. Eventually arrived LAX an hour late, then the same aircraft which was scheduled to continue LAX-HNL as AA 109 went mechanical. AA attempted to schedule a late night 230am departure on another aircraft but that fell through due to crew rest timeout. Currently AA 109 is showing 900am departure on 4/25 with an estimated 1133am arrival, which would be approximate 18 hour delay compared to original routing. AA is attempting to find hotel rooms for the stranded passengers at LAX, unsure if they have all been accommodated.

Compensation: Unknown at this time, will post when known

Comments: Any opinions on what would be reasonable compensation for this? AFAIK all of these problems have been mechanical or crew rest, none were due to weather anywhere.

Last edited by chrisj85; Apr 25, 2017 at 3:35 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:43 am

evouchers used on refunded ticket purchase

4/25/2017
I'm AA Gold for life

My partner and I were given 2 evoucher each over the last year, total value of all them was $700. This month we used these and several hundred dollars charged to a credit card to purchase tickets to South America, but then we had to cancel the reservation. The cancellation was done within 24 hours of the purchase, so I'm expecting a full refund of the credit card charge; but, will we lose the vouchers' value?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by plane_talk
4/25/2017
I'm AA Gold for life

My partner and I were given 2 evoucher each over the last year, total value of all them was $700. This month we used these and several hundred dollars charged to a credit card to purchase tickets to South America, but then we had to cancel the reservation. The cancellation was done within 24 hours of the purchase, so I'm expecting a full refund of the credit card charge; but, will we lose the vouchers' value?
I suspect AA will re-issue the vouchers without extending the 1yr expiration, but the vouchers thread would probably be a good place to check.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:57 pm

Date: 4/13/2017

AAdvantage status: none

Fare class: Economy - - unsure of ticket code

What happened: My grown-up son (so not a minor) was due to fly back from ORD to LHR via CLT. His ORD to CLT flight was delayed so he would miss the connection. AA moved him onto a direct flight to London (happy days), but said it would be a 5 hour wait. No problem as that saved the 2 hour (?) layover in CTL. However, the direct flight was delayed ....delayed.... delayed. In the end he took off from ORD 12 hours after he was originally scheduled. He landed at LHR 5 hours late.

Compensation: At ORD he was offered $150 cash by a supervisor, but was advised not to take it as he would get more if he claimed back in London. After numerous emails he has been offered $100 in AA travel vouchers which have a 12 month expiry - as much use as a chocolate teapot as he is based in London !

Comments: I don't think he is eligible for EU261 as it was inbound to London. Should he have taken the $150 cash offered (bird in the hand and all that)? What is the best route to take here - or is he lumbered? (This capped a great trip when his luggage didn't arrive in ORD when flying out on Iberia!)

Any advice gratefully accepted
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed, Unless he was on a codeshare flight operated by a OW carrier, no EC261 compensation is due for travel US-EU on AA

He should have taken the $150 - since there is no statutory requirement for any compensation, if AA offers a $100 voucher, there is not much more to do other than see whether he may have a chance to use it
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed, Unless he was on a codeshare flight operated by a OW carrier, no EC261 compensation is due for travel US-EU on AA

He should have taken the $150 - since there is no statutory requirement for any compensation, if AA offers a $100 voucher, there is not much more to do other than see whether he may have a chance to use it
Thanks for your quick response - I was hoping for better news though

I have suggested he plugs away and raises it with a supervisor and raise it on twitter, but I don't hold out much hope.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:33 pm

• Date 27 Apr 2017
  • AAdvantage Status Gold
  • Fare class discounted economy, sorry, exact class unknown
  • What happened original DAB-CLT leg downgraded, volunteered for $500 and was upped to $700 by departure. AA agreed to put me in first from MCO-ORD (including cab to MCO) and I'd catch my original ORD-SLC flight. The process took too long, though, so I ended up being put on MCO-DFW-SLC, arriving three hours later than planned. Agent was unable/unwilling to put me in FC, but agreed to put me on the upgrade list without using my certs. I noticed on my way to MCO that it was still requesting certs to put me on the upgrade list. I sighed and called in, agent was unable to add me to the first but added me to the second, and told me to ask at the ticketing counter about the first. No luck there either, but I was grateful for the Elite line because it saved me at least an hour in line. No luck getting a free pass to the Admirals club (worth a try!) but I bought one and was pleased, both in the new MCO club and whatever DFW club I ended up in. I was indeed upgraded on the second leg, but later discovered they'd used my certs after all. Skipped the phone call and went straight to emailing AA today.
  • Compensation Received my certs back and a gentle admonition to make sure that agents I'm speaking to don't think I'm asking to apply my certs in the future. Irked me a bit because I started every convo with an agent with, "...but the app is still trying to get me to apply my certs which I *definitely* don't want to do..." End of the day, though, got my certs back and that's fair.
  • Comments Any idea what I can expect here? TBH, the voucher did a pretty darn good job of compensating me for the delay - but I still want my certs back. No way I'd have used them on anything but an internationally configured plane. I really feel that I deserve my certs back (or $80 or an equivalent number of miles) even though I did get the upgrade. Am I being unreasonable? What is fair to expect?

Last edited by synergistic; May 17, 2017 at 8:25 am Reason: updating
Old May 5, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by synergistic
  • Comments Any idea what I can expect here? TBH, the voucher did a pretty darn good job of compensating me for the delay - but I still want my certs back. No way I'd have used them on anything but an internationally configured plane. I really feel that I deserve my certs back (or $80 and an equivalent number of miles) even though I did get the upgrade. Am I being unreasonable? What is fair to expect?
For best results, you need to shorten your complaint considerably and stick to the main issue of getting your 500-mi upgrade stickers back.

- DAB-CLT was overbooked
- You volunteered off the flight for a voucher and agreed to be rerouted in F from MCO-DFW-SLC
- AA mistakenly deducted stickers from your account for the DFW-SLC segment

Forget about trying to get any additional compensation. AA can easily refund stickers back to your account, I've had it happen several times when they've wrongly deducted them. If the email fails, call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservation line).
Old May 5, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by KeithS
Thanks for your quick response - I was hoping for better news though

I have suggested he plugs away and raises it with a supervisor and raise it on twitter, but I don't hold out much hope.
Hi,

Sorry to open this old one. After chasing him, my son has noted that it was indeed a code share - his ticket was BAnnn

That seems to me that he is entitled to claim on EU261?

Does he claim on BA or AA? I have looked over the net and there appears to be contradictory advice.

Many thanks in advance
Old May 5, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Hi,

Sorry to open this old one. After chasing him, my son has noted that it was indeed a code share - his ticket was BAnnn

That seems to me that he is entitled to claim on EU261?

Does he claim on BA or AA? I have looked over the net and there appears to be contradictory advice.

Many thanks in advance
Was he actually flying on BA? If so, then he should claim EU261 from BA. If the flight was on AA, then EU261 doesn't apply.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Was he actually flying on BA? If so, then he should claim EU261 from BA. If the flight was on AA, then EU261 doesn't apply.
He was on AA metal, but a BA ticket.

Was hoping the EU261 would apply as it was a codeshare.

Many thanks
Old May 5, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
He was on AA metal, but a BA ticket.

Was hoping the EU261 would apply as it was a codeshare.

Many thanks
Sorry, it applies to the operating airline, not the marketing airline.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Date May 2 2017
AAdvantage Status ExPlat
Fare class economy (O)
What happened: Booked as BOS-DFW-BOG
- BOS-DFW, went mechanical.
- The gate agent in BOS started rebooking me through MIA. There was a MIA flight boarding at the adjacent gate, and I asked to be put on that to get to MIA as early as possible. The agent refused, stating that my bag had to be pulled and a later flight to MIA would connect to the same MIA-BOG flight.
- This decision was key. Instead of a 4+ hour MIA layover (which I requested), she booked BOS-MIA-BOG with a 26 minute connection that evaporated due to a weather delay in flight around MIA.
- The Miami team was helpful and rebooked me on a 3am *A Avianca flight.
- They never pulled my bag - it went to DFW, misconnected to BOG, was sent it to MIA, misconnected and didn't come with me to Bogota.
- It took 4 days to get my bag. It arrived in BOG the next day, but took 2 more to deliver because AA gave it to Avianca, who briefly lost it. AA brought it all the way to BOG but wouldn't deliver it to my hotel. My... dimensions... made buying replacement clothes in BOG impossible, or they'd be on the hook for that.

I was up all night in MIA, instead of sleeping in m prepaid hotel in BOG. Missed my AM flight the next day in Colombia as Avianca didnt get me in in time.

Compensation will update when AA responds

Comments What should I expect? I think the baggage fail and the flight fail are each worth a voucher. The refusal to put me on the earlier flight due to the bag just adds sting since they didnt actually pull the bag. you cant have it both ways AA.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:07 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Date: 12 May 2017
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare class: S, up to C at check-in
What happened: Flew LAX>JFK on AA4. Literally nothing worked. Got headphones with busted R ear, so I fished out my pair. Half way through movie, I got the blue screen of death. Took them a while to fix and when they did, the remote was busted. Seat was filthy from previous guests. Wi-Fi slower than my 96 yo Grandpops' AOL connexion. Even the WC sink was busted. And the menu options were absolutely atrocious: cauliflower steak, meatloaf or lobster grilled cheese. I was seriously regretting the purchase, so I took to Twitter.
Compensation: 15000 miles
Comments: It's sad that they've rolled out a new fleet and do nothing to maintain these beasts. And it is amazing how they have cheapened C.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:07 am

Date: April 24, 2017
AAdvantage Status: None (used Alaska Airlines MVP status for flight)
Fare class: O
What happened: Originally booked PHL-AMS 6:40pm-8:40am (direct)
  • PHL-AMS B757 boarded at around 7:30pm, then deplaned due to mechanical issues.
  • Boarded another B757 at around 10:30pm, then deplaned again due to mechanical issues.
  • Crew timed out at around midnight, flight rescheduled to noon the next day (4/25).
  • AA staff at PHL claimed that my checked bag was unavailable for retrieval before the rescheduled flight - incurred some toiletry & personal item expenses as a result.
  • That flight was canceled, rebooked onto PHL-LHR and LHR-AMS, arriving 35 hours after originally scheduled arrival time.
Compensation: 10,000 AAdvantage Miles
Comments: AA refused to reimburse me for transportation expenses to/from PHL despite the overnight delay. Customer relations asked me to complete a "PASSENGER PROPERTY QUESTIONNAIRE" form, but this does not appear to address the flight delay. It does not seem that they even bothered to read the issues specified in my original message.

How can I receive reasonable compensation from AA? The 10,000 miles offered are not particularly useful to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.