Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Final Update

Date: 3/28/2017
AAdvantage Status: Platinum
Fare class: Economy, M
What happened: RIC-LGA flight diverted to PHL due to de-icing equipment failure. Flight subsequently cancelled after they couldn't fix the issue on the ground at PHL in time. I ended up self booking Amtrak to reach NYC. The next available flights to LGA were the next afternoon, which didn't work for me
Compensation: American proactively gave 15,000 miles. I asked for reimbursement for my train ticket, and American didn't budge
Comments: 15,000 miles is nice, but the ticket should be reimbursed as well. American should be pretty well versed in getting people from PHL to LGA via alternative means; there were maybe 25 people on this flight, they could have booked everyone on Amtrak if they wanted
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:42 pm

Missed connection - unsure if I get compensation

I flew from LHR to SFO via LAX a couple of months ago. The first flight was slightly delayed. When I got to LAX, it turned out that my flight to SFO was cancelled due to weather. I was given another flight to SJO (and a pass to quickly go through the airport) but unfortunately, I missed it because my luggage didn't arrive on time (I had to pick it up and re-check it). I wasn't able to get another flight until next morning.

Am I due missed connection compensation because I didn't manage to pick up my luggage? Please advise. I've contacted the airline and they gave me a $100 voucher as compensation for the delay but I'm not sure if I'm actually due the money. I've googled extensively but this seems to be grey area.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Yes, you should have been due duty of care, even for a WX-related delay. You can read more in the EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread) thread.

Cheers,
LBBZman

UPDATED TO ADD: Actually, I'm not so sure of my statement. I went to read the referenced thread, and it's not so clear to me. YMMV.

Last edited by lbbzman; Apr 5, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EC261 doesn't apply to domestic US flights

Also, EC261 compensation may not be payable if the cancellation was due to weather conditions

There is nothing in it that covers missing the flight due to being at the gate too late for boarding due to luggage delays

I am not convinced that there is anything under the regulation that can be claimed and would take the $100
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I sure hope that the OP was rebooked to SJC, not SJO!
​​​​​
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by guv1976
I sure hope that the OP was rebooked to SJC, not SJO!
​​​​​
lol

also why would you wait a few months?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
lol

also why would you wait a few months?
If eligible for compensation, there is no rush - you have 6 years to lodge a claim under MCOL in the UK
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
EU261 doesn't apply to since flight was not ex-EU or on an EU carrier. Also since it was weather related and/or related to delays due to customs no compensation would apply.

I am curious was the delay in baggage with waiting to pick it up and clear customs or with waiting to have it retagged? Once you cleared customs as long as it was tagged to SFO you should have just dropped it at baggage recheck. No need to wait around for a new tag. 1)us domestic flights don't require name matching, and 2)the system thus would see the cancelled flight and it would be routed on the next flight to SFO it could make. If that wasn't the flight you were put on, then fill out missing luggage report at SFO and it would've been delivered to you when it arrived next day.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
I believe this would be considered a weather-related delay for which the airline wasn't responsible.

Note, however, it's not mentioned what you did for overnight accommodations. In cases such as this, the airline typically won't offer anything on their own, but at the time of re-booking typically are receptive to a request for a hotel room at their expense.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:46 am

a) Part of this flight was from EU (UK), so it falls under their law. I'm pretty sure about that. And I bought it as a full journey LHR-SFO.
b) They gave me a new flight which was at exactly same time as the old flight that was meant to go to SFO (and yes it was to SJC not SJO!! Haha). I'm not disputing the weather condition - I'm disputing the fact that I didn't have the time to grab my bag and drop it off again because it took forever for it to arrive! But I'm not sure if it's airline's fault or the airport's fault and what it falls under.
c) As I explained, I was literally waiting to pick my luggage up from the luggage pick up - by the time I got to the place where it should have been re-checked in, I've been told it was too late (even though I had over half an hour till my flight). I did the correct thing in this case.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Date 4/7
AAdvantage Status Platinum
Fare class G
What happened
Booked RDU-CLT-BWI. RDU-CLT was delayed due to a late arriving aircraft for maintenance issues. Gate agents at RDU were awful. Unhelpful and rude, slow and incompetent. There were no announcements at all and they couldn't figure out how to board and turn the plane quickly. The inbound plane arrived at 5:30, we started boading at 6:07 and didn't depart until 7:15. They also left people behind despite empty seats. The passenger next to me was flying to CAK and said she'd already missed the CLT-CAK flight and wanted to stay in RDU where her daughter lived. The agents told her to get on the flight to CLT as there was another flight to CAK and she'd be taken care of at CLT. She wasn't, there was no other flight, they just lied to get rid of her. Total delay: 3 hours, 1 Minute. I only made my next flight because it was also delayed due to similar issues.
Compensation 7,500 Miles
Comments Happy with the compensation but very disappointed at AA's handling of the ground issues. I've never seen gate agents worse at rebooking or turning a plane around.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by klakierro
a) Part of this flight was from EU (UK), so it falls under their law. I'm pretty sure about that. And I bought it as a full journey LHR-SFO.
b) They gave me a new flight which was at exactly same time as the old flight that was meant to go to SFO (and yes it was to SJC not SJO!! Haha). I'm not disputing the weather condition - I'm disputing the fact that I didn't have the time to grab my bag and drop it off again because it took forever for it to arrive! But I'm not sure if it's airline's fault or the airport's fault and what it falls under.
c) As I explained, I was literally waiting to pick my luggage up from the luggage pick up - by the time I got to the place where it should have been re-checked in, I've been told it was too late (even though I had over half an hour till my flight). I did the correct thing in this case.
a)EU261 applies only to flights ex-EU or on EU carriers. It does not apply to other flights simply because they're connections. The final arrival time of the connecting flight influences the amount of compensation. However only in regards to a compensation issue arising from a covered flight. IE if the flight from LHR had been late arriving due to a mechanical issue then the final arrival time would govern how much you get for the delay on the flight from LHR. In your case there's no qualifying event to get compensated for on the flight that is covered by EU261.
b)even if the next flight qualified (for example by being operated by an EU cartier) EU261 excludes delays due to security/immigration/customs. Till customs releases the bags they can't be sent to the claim belt.
c)I've done the drop and go frequently. Though with only 30 minutes most likely wouldn't have made it to gate in time.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
April 10, 2017
Fare Class G (economy)
Ex Plat
Broken Seat, no recline, and an A319 lax-rdu
Initially offered $50, complained, then offered option of $50 or 7,500 miles and politely told take it or leave it.

Guess I'll take the miles, since I value them more than 2/3 cent per mile (but not by much!)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:50 am

Date: 4/8/17

AAdvantage Status: general member

Fare class: N/U/Z or whatever Economy SAAver class is

What happened:

AA1406 MIA-JFK, a fully loaded 763, pushed back 3 minutes early, at 9:56 PM.

After sitting still for the safety demo, we were pulled back to the gate. Pilot said we couldn't leave until a faulty slat indicator light (?) was repaired--even mentioned that this particular ship (later found out to be N342AA--thought I'd mention this in case any you end up on this same plane someday) had a history of this faulty light.

About 10 minutes later, we were asked to deplane as this 763 went out of service and to wait until the pilots found another plane.

We received texts indicating that our flight had been cancelled. Gate agents explained that it was just a technicality and to disregard the texts--that our flight number merely changed from 1406 to 9241. Passengers were being texted automatic rebooking notices, myself included; I had been rebooked MIA-ORF-JFK arriving after 4:00 PM the following day! Agents again said to ignore the rebooking texts.

20-25 minutes after that, the pilots located another plane and asked us to make our way to the new gate. Agents just told everyone to get in line at the new gate since we needed new boarding passes due to the new flight #.

Once I arrived at the new gate, I looked out the window--uh-oh, we were downgauged to a 752! The agents, to the very best of my recollection, never made mention of the downgauge.

Only one agent worked the new gate for the first 30 minutes. Finally a second agent arrived and he was the one to help me--felt really sorry for him because he was obviously very new and tried hard to undo my rebooking. Eventually he got me on 9241.

Not long after that, a third agent showed up and shortly thereafter the original agent closed his line to anyone but first class passengers.

Then after about another 15-20 minutes, they announced that if they run out of seats by the time it's your turn in line, sorry, they will put you up in a hotel and fly you out the next morning. Most of us thought they would get us on 9241 based on status. So, after all that time, we determined it was strictly first come, first served. I consider myself lucky that I did not have to stay with my original oddball rebooking via ORF.

We finally pushed back around 1:10 AM and arrived at JFK just after 4:00 AM--not a major delay in the overall scheme of things. I was just going to crash at JFK for the night anyway so that just meant my crash would be a lot shorter!

Once I returned home from my NYC trip, I tweeted AA and asked them to contact me about what I thought was a lack of communication (and also a lack of staff) regarding 1406/9241.

Compensation: $300 eVoucher

Comments: AA was very prompt to handle my concern. A Customer Relations person called me just a few hours after I was emailed the voucher and she seemed genuinely concerned about the series of events with 1406/9241. She admitted that several others had contacted AA about this flight but that I was the first customer they contacted due to my detailed explanation and because I was not directly complaining and asking to be compensated in any way. The voucher was extremely generous and I was not expecting anything near that amount at all!

Last edited by Spencer898; Apr 15, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
Date: 04/16/2017
AAdvantage Status: Was my fiance, she has none
Fare class: Somewhere in Economy
What happened: Flight was delayed 3.5 hours...was already a late flight; arrived at 1:30AM instead of 10:00PM
Compensation: None
Comments: Is it common to not receive any sort of compensation whatsoever for such a big delay? It wasn't weather related...I believe they had to bring in another plane from Buffalo (flight was from DCA to ATL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.