Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Flight diversion and poor IROPS response - is 15,000 miles enough comp?

I was on a RIC-LGA flight last night that was diverted to Philadelphia because of a "need to de-ice the wings" before they could fly onto LGA. Seem strange to me as it wasn't particularly cold in the area and we were 20 minutes away from LGA, but I'll give American the benefit of the doubt for ensuring everyone's safety.

The issue is the response. They had everyone deplane and grab luggage, but said that we would be taking off from PHL and going to LGA. About 30 minutes later, they cancelled the flight. The gate agents were not very helpful and could only offer flights to LGA the following afternoon. American also didn't help passengers book alternate transportation - I eventually booked an Amtrak to NYC (Amtrak was also delayed by an hour for some reason) and cabbed it there myself. I asked for either a hotel or a voucher to pay for the train, and the AA gate agent said they couldn't authorize it and said to send in a receipt for the train to AA. The agents also weren't trying to go the extra mile for status passengers. I ended up getting to NYC at around 3 AM.

In addition, the plane AA runs this route on an ancient E145. Delta's E birds are some of their best and most comfortable plans and put American's offering to shame on this route

I just got an e-mail from AA saying they put 15,000 miles into my account as compensation. Is that enough? Should I ask for reimbursement of my train ticket or a travel voucher of some kind?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Wander over the BA forum sometime and look at what passes for compensation with that OW partner. 15,000 looks generous in comparison.

That being said, there's nothing to stop you asking for reimbursement, but given that it was a self-help remedy, I wouldn't be optimistic.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
As miles have become mostly worthless, I'd absolutely make them compensate you. They were paid to get you from A to B, and did not do so.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Why not ask for a refund for the unused portion? Wouldn't that cover your Amtrak ticket?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I was on a RIC-LGA flight last night that was diverted to Philadelphia because of a "need to de-ice the wings" before they could fly onto LGA. Seem strange to me as it wasn't particularly cold in the area and we were 20 minutes away from LGA, but I'll give American the benefit of the doubt for ensuring everyone's safety.
What? That reason makes no sense at all.

Anyway, they didn't get you to LGA. PHL isn't an NYC co-terminal, so they didn't get you where you were supposed to go. You should submit the train fare for reimbursement, and I'd be surprised if they didn't pay.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would also submit a DOT complaint, if they don't refund your ticket.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by deeruck
What? That reason makes no sense at all.

Anyway, they didn't get you to LGA. PHL isn't an NYC co-terminal, so they didn't get you where you were supposed to go. You should submit the train fare for reimbursement, and I'd be surprised if they didn't pay.
My guess is that the aircraft's engine or wing anti-ice systems failed or partially failed. Surface temperature doesn't matter tons in that case, the weather higher up does. Clearly, the pilots thought there was unacceptable ice risk.

The logical things to do here would be to put folks on the train or even charter a bus, but airlines rarely have such epiphanies, and gate agents aren't usually equipped to make the decision either.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat
If it is weather related diversion(ice) and they offered to put you on the next available flight, I do not believe any compensation needs to be given- so a proactive 15,000 miles to a non elite seems very generous to me.

Ice on wing=crash so the pilot did the right thing if he was concerned about the safety.

You can submit a receipt to customer relations for the out of pocket expenses and they may reimburse, but if the flights were full the rest of the day and they offered to get you to your destination on the next available, they followed company policy.

It's March and flying in the North East, one would expect ice as an issue even if there is none on the ground.

Don't bash- just saying it like it is.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by formeraa
I would also submit a DOT complaint, if they don't refund your ticket.
In what world? OP rerouted themselves when offered with carriage to their destination (albeit delayed).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
In what world? OP rerouted themselves when offered with carriage to their destination (albeit delayed).
In what world is offering transportation only the next afternoon a reaonable offering when there is a train service
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In what world is offering transportation only the next afternoon a reaonable offering when there is a train service
There's nothing in the regulation requiring "reasonableness" of transportation as far as I am aware. AA offered a flight to the OP's destination. OP declined to take it and took it upon themselves to take a cab and a train. Seems to me that AA is released from any obligation at this point. If they choose to make the OP whole as a CS gesture by refunding the fare or reimbursing the train/cab, it is merely that, a CS gesture; not doing that doesn't make it a DoT violation. Again, OP took it upon themselves with no promise of reimbursement to decline the offered resolution.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:58 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In addition, the plane AA runs this route on an ancient E145. Delta's E birds are some of their best and most comfortable plans and put American's offering to shame on this route
Not something I'd complain about considering they use a Dash 8 to get people from PHL to ISP.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, AA PPro
Flight: March 20 EGE-MIA
Ticket: Award 1st
Problem: Audio Broken
Compensation; 15,000 Miles

Reported issue on AA.com, received response in a few hours. Wasn't really expecting anything. Pleasantly surprised.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by AAChris
Flight: March 20 EGE-MIA
Ticket: Award 1st
Problem: Audio Broken
Compensation; 15,000 Miles

Reported issue on AA.com, received response in a few hours. Wasn't really expecting anything. Pleasantly surprised.
when receiving that many miles as comp, I've asked that AA give me the $$ voucher equivalent (has been 100 pts = $1 for me). The voucher is worth more than the nominal amount since it removes taxes
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There's nothing in the regulation requiring "reasonableness" of transportation as far as I am aware. AA offered a flight to the OP's destination. OP declined to take it and took it upon themselves to take a cab and a train. Seems to me that AA is released from any obligation at this point. If they choose to make the OP whole as a CS gesture by refunding the fare or reimbursing the train/cab, it is merely that, a CS gesture; not doing that doesn't make it a DoT violation. Again, OP took it upon themselves with no promise of reimbursement to decline the offered resolution.
I sent a message to American requesting more detail on the cause of the diversion and to see if I can at least get the train ticket reimbursed. I'll post an update when I get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.