Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tankspectre
Date: 4th of July
•AAdvantage Status: Regular member, nothing special
•Fare class: I used Chase Sapphire Reserve points for $300 tickets (each) roundtrip SAN-MSY flights for my wife and I for a funeral. Layover each way in DFW.
•What happened: On our return flight we make our stop in DFW. Departure time for DFW-SAN is 455pm. Hang at the Centurion lounge and then go to our gate. Sign says "6 minutes till boarding." I go to the restroom. When I return our flight is now 20 minutes delayed...ok...no big deal. A few minutes later the GA announces "We have a plane and a flight crew...but the flight crew is not certified for this model of plane."

Basically they blamed the US Airways/American merger for the snafu. Because they have different submodels of planes, the crew wasn't certified on the submodel. They ask for active military to be put on standby for a flight leaving at 6xxpm. There are A LOT as San Diego is a military city and they are all on holiday leave for the 4th...so there is no way anyone without a severe hardship is getting standby for that flight. I ask the manager about compensation and he prints out instructions for contacting AA online because "Since it's a whole plane affected they can offer you far more than I could here."

We eventually get a new plane and leave DFW at 855pm...4 hour delay. I had to have our pet/housesitter stay for extra time on a holiday. We missed all of our holiday plans. We then got stuck in traffic trying to go home in an Uber at SAN...it took 62 minutes to go 9 miles.

As far as I'm concerned we were essentially involuntarily deboarded. They caused their own problem. This isn't mechanical or weather. This is strictly on the airline.

•Compensation: I contacted AA on twitter and via the website. They respond by gifting us 5k miles each. Absolutely unacceptable. I've now told them so...I figure I'll give them a chance to actually talk to me and give me something worthwhile or I'll file with DOT.

•Comments: I'm not trying to get compensated for the housesitter and Uber issues but the delay did cause us to lose holiday time and money overall. I want to be fairly compensated for what I see as essentially being bumped due to incompetence.
While it's unfortunate and frustrating that you missed your holiday plans (and sorry about the reason for the trip too), you weren't bumped as your flight still operated with you on it. And the DOT isn't going to care about a 4 hour departure delay. 5,000 miles is about what I would expect for a 4 hour delay for someone with no status. I think you will just make yourself more frustrated if you push for anything else.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:57 am

We got a new plane. I am arguing that this is equal to bring bumped...their actions meant I got into a different plane four hours later. I would be offered more if they overbooked and I volunteered for the same thing.
​​​​

I'm not settling for 5k because of sheer incompetence. If it was mechanical or something, yes. A broken tray table, yes. Assigning a flight crew who can't fly the plane? Incompetence.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
We got a new plane. I am arguing that this is equal to bring bumped...their actions meant I got into a different plane four hours later. I would be offered more if they overbooked and I volunteered for the same thing.
​​​​

I'm not settling for 5k because of sheer incompetence. If it was mechanical or something, yes. A broken tray table, yes. Assigning a flight crew who can't fly the plane? Incompetence.
You werent bumped. You flew on the flight number you were booked on 4 hours late. You cant redefine terms jut because you are mad. You're lucky to get 5K miles.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:15 pm

I didn't redefine anything. I said I was essentially being bumped. I drew a comparison.

People have gotten more for broken tray tables or non reclining seats.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
​​​​

If you get a new plane because of a mechanical issue would you still say you were "bumped?" Airlines change planes all the time for numerous reasons. I understand why one would care that they were 4 hours late. But unless your seat assignment or class of service was degraded why does it matter that the plane was "different?"

Yes, certainly gross incompetence on AA's part, no argument there. But call it "bumped" if you want, that won't change how the rest of the industry uses the term - and if you were to further complain to AA using that term you should not be surprised if they summarily dismiss your complaint.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:59 am
Suspended

......I figure I'll give them a chance to actually talk to me and give me something worthwhile or I'll file with DOT.
You might as well just go ahead and do that at this point.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Here's a strange one. I'm not one to really bother with complaints, though maybe I should. Anyway, last October I was on a flight that was diverted to OKC when DFW closed due to high winds. We landed in Oklahoma City around 7pm and were told that we would continue to Dallas at 11:30pm. They asked if anyone wanted to get off, and since I was going to miss my connection I immediately deplaned, called to be rebooked for the next morning, and spent the night. That flight, from what I could see on flightaware actually did end up arriving in DFW around 1:30 am.

Yesterday I was made aware that there's a way to request a delay letter on aa.com specifically for trip delay insurance claims. I had actually already claimed it last year with screenshots from my phone. But I was curious for future reference what the letter would look like and requested one.

Today I got a reply back with no delay letter. But it did apologize for causing me to stay overnight due to "crew timeout issues", and they gave me 10k miles. I assume compensation is not normally offered for weather...even if weather causes a crew timeout? I don't think the crew timed out anyway.

Pretty strange, but it's the easiest 10k miles I've received considering I didn't ask for any compensation!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by hbtr
If you get a new plane because of a mechanical issue would you still say you were "bumped?" Airlines change planes all the time for numerous reasons. I understand why one would care that they were 4 hours late. But unless your seat assignment or class of service was degraded why does it matter that the plane was "different?"

Yes, certainly gross incompetence on AA's part, no argument there. But call it "bumped" if you want, that won't change how the rest of the industry uses the term - and if you were to further complain to AA using that term you should not be surprised if they summarily dismiss your complaint.
No because a mechanical issue could be unavoidable or the airline Being overly cautious. Being bumped and not having a certified crew is on them. I've never complained or asked for compensation for a mechanical issue.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Date of Travel: July 6, 2017
Advantage Status: None - regular member
Fare class: Economy
What happened: I booked a ticket LAX-DFW-CDG and was traveling for a wedding on July 8, 2017. I was due to arrive at 10:05 am the next day. My brother, who booked and traveled on an Air Canada flight was due to arrive at the same time at CDG. Our sister (living near Paris) would pick us both up. He bought his ticket based on the scheduling of my ticket so that we would not overly burden our family with multiple airport pick-ups.

My flight out of LAX to DFW was scheduled to leave at 11:40 am and I had 50 minutes to connect in DFW. When I checked in for my flight, I asked two different ticketing agents about the timing of the transfer and would it be possible to get on an earlier flight/different routing. I checked in at 7:30 a.m. Both ticketing agents said it would be no problem to make that connection and besides, there was a BA flight which left later that they could put me on if something happened. I also paid roughly $100 to upgrade to a window seat on the flight to CDG so I could attempt to get some sleep before arriving in Paris.

The couple getting married love wine so I stopped at Vino Volo to pick up two nice bottles of Cabernet as gifts (approx. $200). At 11:00 am, brother and I part ways and I board my flight. Flight is boarded and we are waiting, and waiting. I see my brother's flight take off. After about 30 minutes, they announce that they can't find the pilot and are looking for him. They also are loading catering at this time, approximately 30 minutes after the scheduled departure time. They locate pilot and we take off about 1 hour late. I spend my time on the flight researching possible options once I hit DFW.

About 15 minutes prior to landing, the pilot says that there will be gate agents meeting the plane and they will have information on gates and re bookings for those of us with missed connections. Several of us have missed connections. I get off the flight and there is no one. A nearby agent who was handling a boarding flight tells us to go to C25 to the Customer Service Center to get it figured out. This was not a short walk and there was an elderly woman traveling alone that walked with to make sure she was okay.

The line at the Customer Service Center has over 100 people in it. I call AA and keep getting a bizarre message ("all routes are full") and then a dial tone. I then look on my phone and see that AA has rebooked me for the flight for the next day which would mean that I would miss the wedding.

I go to the Admiral's Club and the agent there goes to work to find me a flight so that I could at least get to Paris the day before the wedding. The agent gets me on the last flight out with routing through London. The lucky Admiral's Club agent gets the wine as I can't take it through Heathrow. The agent gives me an aisle seat -- there were no windows available.

I finally arrive in CDG at 5:15 pm, seven hours after scheduled. I miss the rehearsal dinner.

I believe they must refund the $100 for the seat upgrade, and I'm trying to figure out what is fair on top of that. I know they will not compensate me for the wine, but I bring that up only to highlight the fact that we schedule our events based on AA's published schedules and representations. Had the ticketing agents at LAX given any indication that there may be problems with the connection, I'd not bought the wine as I would have figured there was a chance of routing through Heathrow.

Sorry this is so long-winded. I'm asking what is fair and what is the best form for this complaint.

TIA,

Sioux
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:42 pm

Date: May 30 & June 3

AAdvantage Status: Platinum

Fare class: Y & V

What happened: May 30 was DEN-DFW, cancelled due to mechanical. As the wait neared 2 hours, I deplaned and hopped the next flight departing immediately - but that left me in a last row middle seat with my carry-on forcibly gate-checked.

June 3 was DFW-SAN and also cancelled, due to the runway incident at SAT leaving crew stranded, but I was rebooked onto a flight the next day. Still wound up in a middle seat the next day.

Compensation: 15,000 RDM

Comments: Seems like a nice compensation amount to me. ^ This had been an expensive open-jaw ticket, so to pay a bunch and end up with Basic Economy levels of service/seating, and losing a day, had me pretty peeved. I wrote a polite, but disappointed, email to AA CS and (somewhat credibly) threatened to decamp to AS. For me, 15,000 represents 1.5 international trips' worth of RDM, so that seemed like a nice gesture. As a side benefit, my hometown is DFW, so being stranded there meant one more evening with friends and family. AA responded in less than a week and the miles had already posted.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
  • I am a PLT
  • Flight was LAX-HND in J (miles + copay upgrade of a deep discount Y ticket)
  • IFE did not work. The touch screen was on, but no content could load.
  • FAs were proactive in resetting the system, then providing a tablet when it still would not work.
  • One FA provided a bottle of the in-flight J champagne for me to take home with me.
  • I wrote a compliment/complaint combo email to customer relations several days later and quickly received 15k bonus miles
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:08 pm

Update: now up to 8k miles each
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:08 pm

• Date: 7/14/17-7/15/17
  • AAdvantage Status: Nada
  • Fare class: G
  • What happened: Flight 1816 from MCO to DCA was significantly delayed due to weather; ticket agent rebooked me on flight 2283, which then had a mechanical failure. Gate agent was unable to put me back on 1816 (which did take off, albeit late), although my gate-checked baggage was transferred from 2283 to 1816 and flew off to DC without me. I overnighted in MCO (at AA's expense) and flew home the next morning on a re-positioning flight of the plane that had a mechanical failure the night before, arriving 14 hours later than I had planned.
  • Compensation: 12,000 miles
  • Comments: I got hotel points for the Doubletree AA put me up in, so that was an unexpected silver lining, I guess. Also, the repositioning flight was empty enough that I got a free upgrade to Main Cabin Extra and a row all to myself.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:30 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
6.5 hr delay PHL-GLA, comedy of errors, ?compensation

Hey guys. I am an infrequent AA flyer but silver with BA. Last night's PHL-GLA departure was delayed badly - scheduled for 19.05, wheels up eventually at 01.37. I was flying with my wife and 2 children in business. I know that if we had been on an EU carrier we would have been entitled to 2400EUR compensation and am keen to find out from you experts what I may expect from AA in this situation.

First problem was a faulty isolator switch. Part had to be ferried up from CLT. So off plane and back to lounge for couple of hours which was ok.

Then back on plane at about 22.15. Captain then announces further delay due to flight needing to be recatered. SNAFU with ground catering team claiming they weren't told. The cabin crew were really mad with the catering team as they said that the need for recatering had been flagged up as soon as the significant delay was confirmed. This is the main reason that I feel AA are liable for an avoidable and very significant delay.

So about 23.30 we trundle back from the gate and sit and sit... Engines fire up for a while and then eventually we trundle back to gate where we are told there is a further tech problem. So back off plane as maintenance guys need to power plane down!

So we sit at gate fearing the worst and start phoning a few hotels to see if they have availability just in case... Then back on plane eventually around 0100 to be told it was a "flat battery". Then the jetway seemed to malfunction and would not detach!!! Eventually we took off 6.5hrs late and arrived 6 hrs late.

Obviously some of this was unavoidable tech issues but a significant component of the delay (at least 1.5 hrs) was due to poor communication by the ground catering team.

I don't expect to get the equivalent of 600EUR each but what can I realistically expect from AA here?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by GLA
Hey guys. I am an infrequent AA flyer but silver with BA. Last night's PHL-GLA departure was delayed badly - scheduled for 19.05, wheels up eventually at 01.37. I was flying with my wife and 2 children in business. I know that if we had been on an EU carrier we would have been entitled to 2400EUR compensation and am keen to find out from you experts what I may expect from AA in this situation.

First problem was a faulty isolator switch. Part had to be ferried up from CLT. So off plane and back to lounge for couple of hours which was ok.

Then back on plane at about 22.15. Captain then announces further delay due to flight needing to be recatered. SNAFU with ground catering team claiming they weren't told. The cabin crew were really mad with the catering team as they said that the need for recatering had been flagged up as soon as the significant delay was confirmed. This is the main reason that I feel AA are liable for an avoidable and very significant delay.

So about 23.30 we trundle back from the gate and sit and sit... Engines fire up for a while and then eventually we trundle back to gate where we are told there is a further tech problem. So back off plane as maintenance guys need to power plane down!

So we sit at gate fearing the worst and start phoning a few hotels to see if they have availability just in case... Then back on plane eventually around 0100 to be told it was a "flat battery". Then the jetway seemed to malfunction and would not detach!!! Eventually we took off 6.5hrs late and arrived 6 hrs late.

Obviously some of this was unavoidable tech issues but a significant component of the delay (at least 1.5 hrs) was due to poor communication by the ground catering team.

I don't expect to get the equivalent of 600EUR each but what can I realistically expect from AA here?
Very little, I'm afraid. If you write in you may get miles or a small voucher. If I were you I would set my expectations very low. EC261 is irrelevant and using that as your reference point is going to leave you quite disappointed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.