Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Curious who would/wouldn't write in asking for extra compensation in this situation:

Flew AA 27 yesterday in a retrofitted J seat (BE Aerospace, for what it matters). Paid economy ticket with miles + copay upgrade.

My IFE was totally broken (monitor worked, but none of the content was loaded...it was effectively "offline" from the server), and there was no way for me to move seats. The crew worked really hard to reset it, but to no avail. They then gave me a Galaxy tablet so I could have some IFE, and packaged up a full bottle of champagne from in-flight service for me to take home (an unexpected but welcome form of compensation!).

I'm of two minds about whether to complain to customer relations:

on one hand, I was able to enjoy a movie, albeit after a lot of hassle and trial and error. Additionally, the champagne was a sincere and proactive effort to make up for it on the part of the crew.

on the other hand, the big screens and full IFE selections are a big selling point for the retrofitted J, I was honestly looking forward to it, including watching live CNN, and I was stuck without any IFE for about an hour.

Is it right to complain about this and ask for some kind of mileage comp? Is that complaint likely to be successful?
This sounds like the kind of thing where you might see proactive miles -- though that seems bizarre and unpredictable. As an explat I had a huge mess, and had to pull teeth to get any consideration, and others are getting proactive gifts of 10-20K miles.

Why not take the other route -- write them a note about how the thing was broken, you were looking forward to the upgraded IFE as part of your J experience, and the flight crew did their best to make up for it -- take a complimentary tone to the crew rather than a critical one towards the aircraft. The compliment is about as likely to get you some miles, and you wont get labeled a complainer.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On AA27 to HND, we turned back to LAX and may now arrive 11 hours late. Compensation?

I'm on AA27 today from LAX to HND. Scheduled departure at 10:45 a.m., we took off about an hour late because a co-pilot was ill and they had to find a new co-pilot.

We got 1.5 hours out from LAX and then turned around due to a problem with navigation system. The pilot did not dump the fuel, he told us we would be landing "heavy" and there would be fire trucks out. Landing was uneventful, but I found myself wondering why the fuel wasn't dumped if that is safer than landing heavy. I prefer fire truck-free landings when possible.

Now back at LAX and they say it will take 6.5 hours to re-check everything. New departure time 9:20 p.m. Arrival in Haneda now about 1-2 a.m. instead of 2:30 p.m.

Is there a standard compensation for something like this or is it up to my negotiation skills and what is customary? I have no status with AA and am on a paid economy class ticket.

Also, I was planning to take the train direct from Haneda to Yokohama and am booked at Yokohama hotel. If we arrive at 2 a.m. there may be no trains running. Am I safe to take a taxi to Yokohama (which I think will cost $80(?) and send AA the receipt and expect reimbursement for that? I don't want to hang around until 5 a.m. for the first train.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jun 25, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You can probably get a few miles.

Glad you landed safely. Seems like the pilots knew what they were doing.

ETA: You'll have an uphill battle getting the taxi reimbursed.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Also, I was planning to take the train direct from Haneda to Yokohama and am booked at Yokohama hotel. If we arrive at 2 a.m. there may be no trains running. Am I safe to take a taxi to Yokohama (which I think will cost $80(?) and send AA the receipt and expect reimbursement for that? I don't want to hang around until 5 a.m. for the first train.

Sorry about your situation. Unfortunately as Doc Savage has posted, you may get some miles as a compensation from AA but cash compensation for taxi ride from HND is unlikely.

Possible that passengers booked on this flight as JL7017 may get different compensation from JL than what you will get from AA as a compensation.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Sorry about your situation. Unfortunately as Doc Savage has posted, you may get some miles as a compensation from AA but cash compensation for taxi ride from HND is unlikely.

Possible that passengers booked on this flight as JL7017 may get different compensation from JL than what you will get from AA as a compensation.
How much do you think "some miles" is?

Also, that's a good point, I think I did book it as JL7017. I booked it on vayama.com (I usually avoid 3rd party sites but it was discounted). It shows on my receipt JL7017 and gives a JL record locator. JAL billed my credit card.

Operated as AA 27. Should I request compensation from JL and does that change the expectation?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Landing was uneventful, but I found myself wondering why the fuel wasn't dumped if that is safer than landing heavy. I prefer fire truck-free landings when possible.
What is your definition of "safer"? Do you have reason to believe that the pilot put the passengers at risk?

I suspect the airline prefers the high likelihood of an uneventful landing, as happened, over dumping thousand of gallons of fuel, with the related cost and environmental impact.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
What is your definition of "safer"? Do you have reason to believe that the pilot put the passengers at risk?
I don't know. The only reason I can think of why there were fire trucks to meet the overweight landing plane is because there was a higher risk of a fire.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's a big compensation thread, found quite readily with a simple search term: compensation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
5000 miles

10000 if you're very lucky
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I don't know. The only reason I can think of why there were fire trucks to meet the overweight landing plane is because there was a higher risk of a fire.
You had an issue of some sort on the plane...either way there were gonna be firetrucks.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
The fire trucks were likely because they have to brake very hard when the plane is overweight, and the brakes heat up alot and can catch fire. Many youtube videos of heavy landings with smoking brakes and a few that light.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: BA GLD, A3 GLD, TK GLD, UA SIL, HILTON DIA, HYATT DIA, IHG PA, MR GLD, ACCOR PLT, SPG GLD
IFE & WIFI down for entire HKG-LAX flight, Compensation?

Hi,

I recently flew in F (Z class) from HKG-LAX, apparently the IFE & WIFI was down for all throughout the flight. Captain said they worked on fixing it for over an hour but can't do nothing, and the only alternative action was to cancel the flight which he did not do.

However, I was extremely anger when seeing several FAs in the kitchen watching movies on Samsung Pads with the F Bose headphones, given that no passengers had any entertainment on that day's flight.

I am a BA gold member (EMD), how much compensation is fair for me to receive from AA?

Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Most likely it will be around 15K AA miles. If you are expecting $, highly doubt you will get any. Did you ask for a tablet? Sometimes you have to be very forward with what you want.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by pjf66
Hi,

I recently flew in F (Z class) from HKG-LAX, apparently the IFE & WIFI was down for all throughout the flight. Captain said they worked on fixing it for over an hour but can't do nothing, and the only alternative action was to cancel the flight which he did not do.

However, I was extremely anger when seeing several FAs in the kitchen watching movies on Samsung Pads with the F Bose headphones, given that no passengers had any entertainment on that day's flight.

I am a BA gold member (EMD), how much compensation is fair for me to receive from AA?

Thanks!
Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that the #1 objective is get SAFELY from point A to point B, and the rest is just gravy.

I don't hold much truck with demands/requests here for compensation 99+% of the time for minor failures, of which this is one, IMHO. Smacks too much of DYKWIA, regardless of class (of service).

Personal experience: PVG-DFW 14 hours in J. After takeoff, slight burning smell in cabin. Crew turned off IFE, smell went away. Crew turned on IFE, smell returned. Captain came out. Crew turned off IFE. Captain announced no IFE for duration of flight.

My solution: I had brought my own entertainment-an I pad, a kindle, and OMG!!!, a ... book. Ended up sleeping an extra 5 hours.

It was just one of those things.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pjf66
Hi,

Thanks!
Yes, if you submit a complaint you should get some mileage. As a data point, the IFE was broken on a recent CLT-MAD flight for both my fiancé and I and we each received 10K miles (which
pleasantly exceeded what we thought we would get).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.