Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, Americans reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by potfish
Flying Basic Economy on AA BOS-PHL-LHR (I know, I know, but the cost saving was significant). Ticket was booked on BA.com and the transatlantic leg has a BA codeshare flight number. The return flight is direct on BA. I have AA status.

I know that I am not entitled to any free bags at all due to the ticket being booked on BA and certainly won't get any on the return leg, but wondering if anyone has recent experience of whether I might get lucky on the outbound AA-operated flights?
I can't tell you exactly why/how it worked, but I had BE on ORD ->(AA metal) LHR -> XXX and XXX -> LRH ->(BA metal) ORD, all booked through BA and used my AA account (platinum).

For the ORD -> LHR leg I was able to pick seats (but not MCE) either at booking or slightly afterward on AA (can't remember which exactly now)
For the LRH -> ORD leg I was not able to pick seats until check-in.

I'm honestly not sure why/how I got seats on the first leg that was AA operated, but it was very helpful.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jameswes
I can't tell you exactly why/how it worked, but I had BE on ORD ->(AA metal) LHR -> XXX and XXX -> LRH ->(BA metal) ORD, all booked through BA and used my AA account (platinum).

For the ORD -> LHR leg I was able to pick seats (but not MCE) either at booking or slightly afterward on AA (can't remember which exactly now)
For the LRH -> ORD leg I was not able to pick seats until check-in.

I'm honestly not sure why/how I got seats on the first leg that was AA operated, but it was very helpful.
Possibly because of below. However as a AA Platinum, you should have been able to pick seats on BA metal flights at booking provided your AA number was properly associated with the BA PNR.

Originally Posted by seawolf
I noticed same as well. It appears when booking a codeshare operated by AA, there is a window between booking and ticketing where one can select seat (or MCE if OWE/OWS) without charge. Once the ticket is issued, AA website then realize this is a BE fare and will no longer allow seat change without fee. Now were you able to keep the assignment and flew in it?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by guv1976
In that case, I have to wonder whether Pucci's BAEC FFN and oneworld Emerald status were displayed on her boarding pass
Just in case this got lost. Yes both were displayed. We went to the Flagship Lounge even on this Basic Fare and were made most welcome.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:50 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I have 2 trips coming up where I booked basic economy without thinking
I thought I got a checked bag due to LT plat - ? Wrong?
Should I plan for group 8 and gate check carryon?
I booked a trip on AA with my household BA miles
I am now unable to change my FF number to my AA number (something I was able to do in the past by calling)
and it now tells me - bags allowed = 0 on the reservation
Is it also effectively basic economy for me now?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by ffI
I have 2 trips coming up where I booked basic economy without thinking
I thought I got a checked bag due to LT plat - ? Wrong?
Should I plan for group 8 and gate check carryon?
I booked a trip on AA with my household BA miles
I am now unable to change my FF number to my AA number (something I was able to do in the past by calling)
and it now tells me - bags allowed = 0 on the reservation
Is it also effectively basic economy for me now?
1. You should have free checked bag with status on AA if it was booked as AA.
2. If the booking was done on BA, then you might not able to. However, I would try calling BA and AA and see what happens. Different agents will do different things.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Exec
No free checked bags?

I have booked CDG-LHR-BOS on aa.com (only $390 R/T!), all flights operated by BA. I have AA EXP status. Am I entitled to any free checked bags?
On BOS-LHR-CDG, I was told I had to pay to get my bags checked. I was surprised (somehow assumed that since i could select my seats, then my status would also allow me to have 2 free bags checked) and they waived the fee at the counter. Has anyone had any chance to get those waived or I just got a super nice BA agent?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:21 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Data point - No fee for 1 checked bag
trip still pending w BA miles - will update
Originally Posted by SamirD
1. You should have free checked bag with status on AA if it was booked as AA.
2. If the booking was done on BA, then you might not able to. However, I would try calling BA and AA and see what happens. Different agents will do different things.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by sorka
I have booked CDG-LHR-BOS on aa.com (only $390 R/T!), all flights operated by BA. I have AA EXP status. Am I entitled to any free checked bags?
On BOS-LHR-CDG, I was told I had to pay to get my bags checked. I was surprised (somehow assumed that since i could select my seats, then my status would also allow me to have 2 free bags checked) and they waived the fee at the counter. Has anyone had any chance to get those waived or I just got a super nice BA agent?
You were lucky. With BA you get free seat selection but no bags.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Another data point. AA EXP flying AA but booked via BA and with a BA ticket number. Bags were checked in for free without any question, though strictly speaking I think it wasn't an entitlement due to the BA ticket number. The first flights were a domestic leg then connecting to transatlantic so the first agent was only used to dealing with AA domestic where AA elites do get bags. I wondered if the computer would flag up the zero entitlement though, as BA's computer does, but now we know.
(The return leg was direct on BA and I had to pay for bags, which I was prepared for.)
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Strawb
Need some advice please. Was charged 90 to check two bags yesterday for our LHR-LAX (see post 1189). I was most surprised when agent informed me that my Sapphire status does not entitle me to free checked bags. She checked with her supervisor who confirmed the same. They told me there had been a lot of confusion recently with Basic Economy and they had been retrained.

I booked this itinerary based on the fact that I thought I would be entitled to free bags. Looking at the baggage rules on aa.com and it looks like they have excluded free bags for Elite member flying Transatlantic Basic Economy. Can someone confirm if that has changed recently?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Agent told me to pay and make a claim later if I wanted to dispute (which I will do) - I would never have booked Basic Economy if I had known free bags on Transatlantic flights were excluded for oneworld Elite members.
Update: contacted AA on twitter requesting a refund of the bag fee and 24hrs later they refunded me the full 90 fee. Good result and I am more than satisfied with my Basic Economy experience on AA from LHR-LAX-LIH. Had a great crew, very friendly and proactive on our flight to LAX, with a full flat bed (4 middle seats) in Main Cabin Extra for each of us, and no charges for checked bags! Great customer service from AA on Twitter.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:29 pm

Basic economy questions not found in mega thread

I searched the mega thread and couldn't figure out these additional questions.

So no flight changes or refunds.

So if you need to make any flight changes. You are just out of luck? Or do they just charge you the difference in fare?

Also if you cancel. Since they don't offer a refund. You would just get a credit for AA? I'm assuming the credit is good for one year?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will allow a free change if there is a significant schedule change (and a full refund if it is big enough) or within the 24-hour purchase window (as mentioned below). Other than that no changes (although I notice TATL on AA can be changed for a fee) and no credit at all for future flights if you cancel. Not sure if AA is the same as DL which won't even let you cancel online (although I suspect an agent could do it). If they were to allow you to cancel and apply the credit to a future flight, that would effectively make them changeable and more valuable than the non-refundable main cabin fares which carry a change fee.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 1, 2020 at 2:20 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you purchase the ticket more than seven days before departure, you would have the right to cancel for a full refund within 24 hours (since IIRC AA no longer offers a free hold on tickets), but after than you either fly each segment as ticketed or the ticket loses all (remaining) value. No changes and no vouchers or credits are permitted unless there's a cancellation, significant schedule change, or weather waiver.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you purchase the ticket more than seven days before departure, you would have the right to cancel for a full refund within 24 hours (since IIRC AA no longer offers a free hold on tickets), but after than you either fly each segment as ticketed or the ticket loses all (remaining) value. No changes and no vouchers or credits are permitted unless there's a cancellation, significant schedule change, or weather waiver.

Insert. I wish the T&C was this clear cause the actual Terms and conditions is confusing to understand. All I need to do is leaves few days earlier. I'm willing to pay the difference in airfare but I guess they won't even let you do that.

I'm guessing you also can't pay the $70 to upgrade your basic economy ticket to a economy ticket? .
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sundrop
Insert. I wish the T&C was this clear cause the actual Terms and conditions is confusing to understand. All I need to do is leaves few days earlier. I'm willing to pay the difference in airfare but I guess they won't even let you do that.

I'm guessing you also can't pay the $70 to upgrade your basic economy ticket to a economy ticket? .
What is not clear?
Basic economy fare are cheap because of the restrictions
Want a fare with less restrictions (be able change, upgrade, cancel,.....) pick another (higher cost) fare

AA web site https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

Blog https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...ican-airlines/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.