Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
what about kids?

What happens when flying with kids say 3-7 year old? Will they be placed with parents or with some stranger?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by always_solo
I can't wait to see how the boarding process happens once these fares are implemented. For frequent flyers, no big deal, we all know the rules and the ins and outs.
For the infrequent flyer, who purchases the lowest rate on a legacy carrier thinking it includes a carry on bag....yikes-o.
I predict huge drama in the gate area during boarding group 24, or whatever insanely high number AA has given that last group.
AA (and the third party sellers) should warn about restrictions on these fares. As long as they are up front about it, the purchaser has no right to get upset (though they may still do so)

A warning such as that below will appear at delta.com if you select Basic Economy. Note that you have to actually check a box to affirm you accept the restrictions before you can continue

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sholmes149
What happens when flying with kids say 3-7 year old? Will they be placed with parents or with some stranger?
Please read the Wikipost (or release) Q&A:

"Will families that include young children be seated together?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers."
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
In a further bid to unbundle services while reducing both emissions and costs, American Airlines today announced an enhanced customer experience when nature calls. Starting on April 1st, American will introduce an environmental recovery fee for the use of all on-board facilities. Fees will vary with stage length (longer more expensive), and whether customers require a number one or two. Customers seated in our First Class cabin, and Executive Platinum members, will be exempt from this fee for one visit per flight segment. Platinum and Gold members will receive four fee-free facility vouchers per year. Payment can only be made using the AAdvantage credit card, cash not accepted.

Last edited by Wexflyer; Jan 18, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:09 pm

I feel badly for the GAs who have to announce a dozen boarding groups and soon also be a bag-monitor depending on ticket class.

::No carry-on for you!::

So much to do, so little time.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
In a further bid to unbundle services while reducing both emissions and costs, American Airlines today announced an enhanced customer experience when nature calls. Starting on April 1st, American will introduce an environmental recovery fee for the use of all on-board facilities. Fees will vary with stage length (longer more expensive), and whether customers require a number one or two. Customers seated in our First Class cabin, and Executive Platinum members will be exempt from this fee for one visit per flight segment. Platinum and Gold members will receive four fee-free facility vouchers per year. Payment can only be made using the AAdvantage credit card, cash not accepted.
Will I still get my Shiti Bank 25% discount?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:14 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
In a further bid to unbundle services while reducing both emissions and costs, American Airlines today announced an enhanced customer experience when nature calls. Starting on April 1st, American will introduce an environmental recovery fee for the use of all on-board facilities. Fees will vary with stage length (longer more expensive), and whether customers require a number one or two. Customers seated in our First Class cabin, and Executive Platinum members will be exempt from this fee for one visit per flight segment. Platinum and Gold members will receive four fee-free facility vouchers per year. Payment can only be made using the AAdvantage credit card, cash not accepted.
Aren't a few missing from the above.
RyanAir had considered charging to use the LOO.
PS: Should pax "run out of money", they'll be a lot of wet floors.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Please read the Wikipost (or release) Q&A:

"Will families that include young children be seated together?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers."
JDiver, the troubling parts of this for me are the use of the word "attempt" and the fact that the child will be seated with "an" adult - which I read as one adult traveling companion, but not two. Many toddlers (including some in my family) will wear you out if you don't have help. There is a reason that their adults travel in pairs. We love them, but some days they can be exhausting. And sitting still for hours in a thin metal tube does not help things a bit when you are 3 or 4.

Can't see this fare being attractive to anyone with little ones. Nor can I see someone giving up their aisle or window seat in exchange for the 2nd parent's middle seat. Going to be some upset folks either way.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Ryanair has actually moved away from charging people for carry on bags. Meanwhile AA and UA are adopting the practice that Ryanair abandoned. Worthy of note that Ryanair revenues went up 27% after deciding to be nice to customers.

This has the potential for massive problems. What happens on codeshare flights? I have a card, does it cover my carry on bag or not? How much will boarding be slowed down by bag police GAs?

Overall puts Southwest at the top of my list when flying a route I can't get on Alaska.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 466SHH
Can't see this fare being attractive to anyone with little ones. Nor can I see someone giving up their aisle or window seat in exchange for the 2nd parent's middle seat. Going to be some upset folks either way.
Then said parents shouldn't buy these fares. Simple as that.

Of course, none of this is really new. You can find FT threads going back years where parents didn't want to pay to reserve seats in advance, and then were shocked and outraged that they had difficulty getting seats together at the gate.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Count me in as one who simply is shrugging at this option and isn't really bothered by it. If the backpacking crowd wants these type of options, so be it. Implementation will be interesting, but I'm sure AA has a plan for that.

My firm's policy is to avoid these fares since we often have to change travel plans, adjust schedules by an hour or two or hold over a day. Since these fares do not permit any changes, our policy is to not require their use - even though they might be the lowest available fare.

One question I have is whether you can change seat assignments once assigned? So if you check in at T-24 hours, are Advantage Plat, and are assigned 28E, can you then change your assignment to 9F which is available? Are MCE seats and exits blocked under a BE fare?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rjw242
Then said parents shouldn't buy these fares. Simple as that.

Of course, none of this is really new. You can find FT threads going back years where parents didn't want to pay to reserve seats in advance, and then were shocked and outraged that they had difficulty getting seats together at the gate.
The frequency of such situations hitting at check-in, at gate or even on-board isn't likely to be constant when involved factors have changed. More passengers being hit up with seat assignment fees at time of booking is going to change things and make it more likely that passengers waits until check-in to pick a seat. That may be a good or bad thing for those in such circumstances who are not willing to pay a seat assignment fee (or can't do so until the pay window opens) but expect to sit together due to needs involving say a young child.

I do have to wonder how much more often passengers with assigned seats at time of booking are going to find themselves flying in a different economy class seat than the ones they picked at the time of booking because of such re-accommodation for those needing on-board travel companion assistance.

And do passengers with "emotional support" human companions get favors/waivers in the matter of seat selection on these fares?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:37 am

Call it a shot across the bow or whatever, Delta publicly stated that customers should expect across the board fare increases beginning this year. I suppose American decided to introduce the higher fares in a more nuanced (a.k.a. "sneaky") way.

Originally Posted by ty97
I'm not sure AA will release that info in advance as they probably don't want to make it too easy for us to show that on Feb 9, it cost $200 to fly AAA-BBB on the lowest main cabin fare and then on Feb 10, it cost $200 to fly AAA-BBB in Basic Economy while costing $230 to book main cabin.

That said, logical guesses about possible first routes are leisure routes (think Florida, especially MCO) and any head to head routes with the likes of Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier.
I believe this is in fact the same procedure in use today. When you check in at a kiosk, your are always asked if you are traveling with a minor child. If I remember correctly it asks if the child is under 2 years old.

Originally Posted by 466SHH
JDiver, the troubling parts of this for me are the use of the word "attempt" and the fact that the child will be seated with "an" adult - which I read as one adult traveling companion, but not two. Many toddlers (including some in my family) will wear you out if you don't have help. There is a reason that their adults travel in pairs. We love them, but some days they can be exhausting. And sitting still for hours in a thin metal tube does not help things a bit when you are 3 or 4.

How could these fares matter unless you use them? They don't concern me in the least and I don't care what happens during the boarding process of groups X through 9. I'm confident American won't let the boarding process delay departures. For example, think how often gate agents arbitrarily declare an aircraft "out of overhead storage space" and make the remaining passengers check luggage they planned to carry on. It infuriates me when I later board the aircraft and find empty overhead space. They do this because American prefers inconveniencing passengers rather than risk delays if they have to remove and check carry ons close to departure time in the event there really is no overhead space. The airlines won't run the risk because it costs them money.

Originally Posted by bse118
Add me to the list of folks extremely unconcered by these fares.

My company's policy is lowest "reasonable" Y.

These are anything but reasonable.

What other carriers?

UA - has these fares.
DL - has these fares.
WN - nice little airline but no elite benefits to speak of, no meaningful international service
F9, NK - lol
B6, AS - good options if their limited route networks work for you.

There are reasons to jump carriers, I don't see this as one. Given that everyone is doing it.
Best airline? Let's get real, the goal has ALWAYS been to be the most profitable airline. It is a business, not a Deepak Chopra self improvement conference.

Originally Posted by arkyrab
AA has decided it no longer has a goal of being the best airline. I predict a large segment of AA customers will move to other carriers.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 19, 2017 at 9:57 am Reason: Merge posts on same topic
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
I feel like my take on this is similar to what many of you are saying - I won't purchase these fares and have no objection to them being out there, as long as they are priced lower than current fares. If the introduction of this ticket type causes the tickets I normally purchase to be more expensive, I'll be quite unhappy.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I feel badly for the GAs who have to announce a dozen boarding groups and soon also be a bag-monitor depending on ticket class.

::No carry-on for you!::

So much to do, so little time.
Along with this, AA on time performance will go down again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.