Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Suggestion: ITA Matrix or Google Flights are my preferred go-to search engines rather than Orbitz or Expedia (or other travel sites who are in the business of selling you stuff). ITA Matrix in particular is more powerful in my opinion, and since this site doesn't actually sell you stuff, you won't end up with tons of unsolicited ads or offers after the fact of the search.
Personally I think your current perspective is right on; in the last few years I have not once not been able to match a fare on the airline site - and by booking direct you do get the benefit of them not being able to pass the buck if things go wrong.
I will try those out on the next trip! Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SaintMaximus
I am a casual traveler (2-3 trips a year) and I made a mistake via a 3rd party. If AA objective is to catch me on a rule and purchase new tickets for the double win 1) I won't do that and 2) they won't ever get my casual business again.

I'm not even close to being a savvy traveler related to purchasing tickets (obvious by my mistake). I do however own a fairly large business and am looking at this from a business perspective. Catching me on hard and fast rule to drive me to make a double purchase is a short term position. If I am willing to pay full fare difference say $5,500.00 in replace of my current $2,800. This fills high end seats at the maximum revenue they can yield in exchange to open up seats at the lowest cost which should move and be more attractive to a broader customer base. Not only should they be maximizing revenue, they are also keeping a customer...
Fair enough, but more and more the concept of loyalty is being eroded from both ends. Consumers often make price-conscious decisions and jump ship based on a minimal cost difference, and airlines respond in kind by catering to that.
If someone makes a decision to never fly <airline X> today, and has a similar experience a year or two later with <airline Y>, pretty soon the number of choices is going to get awfully small. Airlines are treating this market as increasingly transactional; as a consumer I think we would be well advised to keep our options open. But this of course is an individual decision, and each of us has our own experiences to base our decision on. YMMV.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am a casual traveler (2-3 trips a year) and I made a mistake via a 3rd party. If AA objective is to catch me on a rule and purchase new tickets for the double win 1) I won't do that and 2) they won't ever get my casual business again.
Your issue seems to be with the 3rd party not AA. When AA sells directly, it makes clear what the restrictions of the fare are when selected

You may well find that you get to sit together and have saved a lot of money thanks to the 3rd party not telling you about the restriction.
scnzzz likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Fair enough, but more and more the concept of loyalty is being eroded from both ends. Consumers often make price-conscious decisions and jump ship based on a minimal cost difference, and airlines respond in kind by catering to that.
If someone makes a decision to never fly <airline X> today, and has a similar experience a year or two later with <airline Y>, pretty soon the number of choices is going to get awfully small. Airlines are treating this market as increasingly transactional; as a consumer I think we would be well advised to keep our options open. But this of course is an individual decision, and each of us has our own experiences to base our decision on. YMMV.
Very rarely does cost drive my decision... The biggest factor for me is the schedule. How quick can I be in the Magic Kingdom , can my daughter get a half day of school in, will the baby be able to handle the times, etc... So would I never use American again, of course I will. But if it comes down to a toss up I go with the best customer experience....

So on this note, I called again and for 180 bucks they let me upgrade my tickets to main cabin (or the economy fare)! So I can use the overhead bins, already picked my seats. My gut says I would probably have very similar seats regardless but peace of mind is priceless!!!

Thanks for the input everybody... Did my persistence pay? Just get the right agent at the right time??? I am curious what you guys think...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Very rarely does cost drive my decision... The biggest factor for me is the schedule. How quick can I be in the Magic Kingdom , can my daughter get a half day of school in, will the baby be able to handle the times, etc... So would I never use American again, of course I will. But if it comes down to a toss up I go with the best customer experience....

So on this note, I called again and for 180 bucks they let me upgrade my tickets to main cabin (or the economy fare)! So I can use the overhead bins, already picked my seats. My gut says I would probably have very similar seats regardless but peace of mind is priceless!!!

Thanks for the input everybody... Did my persistence pay? Just get the right agent at the right time??? I am curious what you guys think...
Well that's a healthy approach - I'd concur with your outlook on what matters! Peace of mind is worth it to me as well.

I wasn't trying to say you were someone who buys on price - my apologies if that's how it came across. I guess my point is that airlines are the way they are now in large part because the consumer (in general) has voted with his/her wallet. The OTAs like Orbitz etc have contributed to that behavior in no small part. Witness the demise of AA's experiment with MRTC back in the 90's IIRC...and now the segmentation between (at least on AA) now Basic Economy, Main Cabin, Main Cabin Extra, Premium Economy, Business and First. Not six cabins per se, but certainly six distinct travel experiences (and that's not taking into account the difference between the various flavors of J and F on domestic, transcontinental FlAAgship, and long-haul)!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Orbitz assured me we would all sit together... If not I am sure people will make some accommodations..
That might be asking for a bit, especially if you are trying to get aisle or window seats instead of a middle seat.
What happens if the BE assignments for all of the family members are for middle seats?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Will I get 1 free checked bag and access to overhead bins with basic economy ticket as Alaska MVP? Or the status does not apply.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
Will I get 1 free checked bag and access to overhead bins with basic economy ticket as Alaska MVP? Or the status does not apply.
Yes, as long as it's before 12/31. Beginning January 1 Alaska elites will no longer get any benefits on American
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:07 am

Hello, FTers – I skimmed this entire thread and didn’t see any discussion on my question/topic, forgive me if I missed it…

Seems like Golds may be getting the worst end of the stick re: price and seating. If BE buyers can pay for a seat assignment at T-48, for Golds, it’s seems like a gamble to wait until T-24 for a gratis MCE (specifically exit row) seat. So, the best Gold strategy for an exit row is paying for MC and buying the exit row at half off. (Until now, we typically get exit row gratis at T-24.) But for scenarios where I am especially price sensitive, it may be the case that BE+seat selection price is less expensive enough than MC+seat selection price that I'll take the gamble to buy what's available at T-48. There is no way to see prices for seat selections without actually going through the purchase flow, is there? When I search an itinerary, I see the price for BE vs. MC, but it’d be nice to see in that same display what seat selection will actually cost.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Originally Posted by cjbk
Hello, FTers – I skimmed this entire thread and didn’t see any discussion on my question/topic, forgive me if I missed it…

Seems like Golds may be getting the worst end of the stick re: price and seating. If BE buyers can pay for a seat assignment at T-48, for Golds, it’s seems like a gamble to wait until T-24 for a gratis MCE (specifically exit row) seat. So, the best Gold strategy for an exit row is paying for MC and buying the exit row at half off. (Until now, we typically get exit row gratis at T-24.) But for scenarios where I am especially price sensitive, it may be the case that BE+seat selection price is less expensive enough than MC+seat selection price that I'll take the gamble to buy what's available at T-48. There is no way to see prices for seat selections without actually going through the purchase flow, is there? When I search an itinerary, I see the price for BE vs. MC, but it’d be nice to see in that same display what seat selection will actually cost.
My guess is 99% of BE people are not paying to select a seat, so I don't think you are getting screwed. The bigger is I have notice on some routes the BE fare will be $50 and the main cabin is $450 which is a bunch of BS. I have bought BE twice on two short flights with a big flight difference. In both cases as an EXP the GA switched me to a better seat without ever mentioning I was on a BE fare.
cjbk likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by william142
My guess is 99% of BE people are not paying to select a seat, so I don't think you are getting screwed. The bigger is I have notice on some routes the BE fare will be $50 and the main cabin is $450 which is a bunch of BS. I have bought BE twice on two short flights with a big flight difference. In both cases as an EXP the GA switched me to a better seat without ever mentioning I was on a BE fare.
Thanks for your insight. Did you approach GA and ask for a better seat? And, in any case, I'm dubious we'd get similar accommodation, being of lower status.

And I wonder can we presume that pricing for seat selection will be the same for BE vs other buyers? Anyone have notes on what BE seat prices were at T-48? Comparable to what you'd see at time of purchase for MC?

If the fare difference is $400, I'd also go with BE. If the fare difference is less substantial, I may stick with MC...until I'm buying multiple tix for family and then it starts to add painfully up...which is why I'm trying to see the best ways to price compare, taking seating (for my very tall husband) into account.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I was booking a ticket today, selected BE for outbound since it was $200 cheaper.
On the inbound, no BE, so chose the best schedule.
A pop up message appeared that since no BE on inbound, entire ticket was going to be a normal ticket and not a BE.
This is news for me, no mixed tickets combining BE and Regular Economy.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I was booking a ticket today, selected BE for outbound since it was $200 cheaper.
On the inbound, no BE, so chose the best schedule.
A pop up message appeared that since no BE on inbound, entire ticket was going to be a normal ticket and not a BE.
This is news for me, no mixed tickets combining BE and Regular Economy.
with the $200 price increase?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Without the increase, so I still received the "discounted" price. So maybe this is a walk-around.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I need some clarification - Asking as a oneworld Elite passenger with Qantas Emerald status.
Originally Posted by JDiver
The information you seek is in the Wikipost at the top of this thread.

/Moderator
I see this in the wiki:
Bags – One personal carry-on item that fits under the seat (such as a purse or small backpack) is allowed. No overhead bin luggage may be brought on board. Larger carry-ons such as a rollaboard bag must be checked at the ticket counter for the applicable checked-baggage charge. Basic Economy customers who bring more than an under-seat personal item to the gate will incur regular checked baggage charges plus a $25 gate service charge per bag.

N.B. Elite customers and eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers will be allowed to bring one personal item, one rollaboard, and they maintain their current free checked bag allowance.

Boarding – Basic Economy customers will comprise the last boarding group and will be seated in the Main Cabin. Elite customers and eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers will continue to receive Priority or preferred boarding even when purchasing this fare.
I have bolded the parts I am mainly interested in; mainly, what does "Elite" refer to? AA's or all those of oneworld?

I note the AA page on BE is little more specific; referring to both "Elites" and "AAdvantageŽ elites".

Does anyone have some experiences with BE travel as a Non AAdvantageŽ oneworld elite?

-Checking in
-Boarding pass
-boarding group
-rollaboard

(Of course, I am hoping the benefits apply but will plan accordingly if not the case.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.