Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
Emphasis mine. In other words, prices will be the same, but you'll get less for them.
Well, I think ultimately the prices will be dictated by the market and all its dynamics (e.g., demand, supply, competition).
IMO, this makes it more palatable for the legacies to price match the ULCCs, which they may have done in certain instances in the past, but now will probably do with increasing frequency.

So yeah, there may be times when you get less for the same price, but there are also plenty of times where you get the same for the same. That does seem to work out to a net negative, but I don't think it's that big.

And the positive is that for those purchasing regular fares, they should have better seat selection options and more room in the overheads.
So maybe it's net neutral after all...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by dtremit
Notable, and I think different from what UA and DL have announced:

Emphasis mine. In other words, prices will be the same, but you'll get less for them.
There's ample anecdotal evidence that DL has been doing this the same way, at least on some routes. The BE fares aren't lower, they are just a new designation for the lowest fare bucket.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Also there will now be 9 boarding groups, B.Economy will board in group 9.
Please tell me this includes groups like First, Priority AAcess, etc in the count of '9 groups'. If not and there are going to be 9 numbered groups (versus 5 today) AA is never going to finish boarding a plane.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Already told my admin I would rather fly Southwest than on one of these fares. Use it or lose it, no standby, no same-day changes is a non-starter for me.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by OTD
So, it looks like if you have status or a card, the only differences are seat assignments and EQM/EQSs, right? And refunds, I guess.
No upgrades.
No bag in overhead.
No changes, no same day confirmed, no standby.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by badkneeski
Already told my admin I would rather fly Southwest than on one of these fares. Use it or lose it, no standby, no same-day changes is a non-starter for me.
For many businesses it is. Some (if not all) corporate booking engines at least have the ability to block out these fares; I know Concur does for my company.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assignment only possible 48 hours before-- everyone pays, no discount or comp for elites.

Also there will now be 9 boarding groups, B.Economy will board in group 9.

The personal item they reference will be 18 x 14 x 8 in and there will be new sizers for same.
This is the big problem for frequent travelers (aka elites) with Basic Economy. Flying a middle seat sucks. I rarely do it, of course, but when I do I hate it. If I fly Frontier or Spirit -- which I do a few times a year when my other options are ridiculously expensive -- I don't pay for a seat assignment. But most people also don't pay, so there are usually decent free seat assignments left. That won't likely be the case with AA. MOST pax will already have seat assignments, so you really will get the suckiest seat on the plane. I'm not going to be eager to fly AA under those conditions -- even if I get to bring a regular rollerboard and board early. It will be my last resort: I might even pick Frontier or Spirit instead. I assume if I want an AA seat assignment, they'll charge me something like $30. That would make the Basic Economy fares not worth it to me.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
Please tell me this includes groups like First, Priority AAcess, etc in the count of '9 groups'. If not and there are going to be 9 numbered groups (versus 5 today) AA is never going to finish boarding a plane.
I cover it here:

(not all members of all groups included therein):

CK is pre board,
1 is F + military,
2 is J + EP + OW EMD,
3 is PLT + PPro + OW SPH,
4 is GLD + tons of others
Then 5,6,7,8,9
No idea how they'll be called.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:12 am

I can't imagine ever booking one of these fares. To me the biggest benefit of being lifetime Platinum is the ability to get exit row seats at no charge. I'll pay the higher fare or fly someone else. As another poster mentioned, Southwest is a better option than these fares.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lunarbrian
I can't imagine ever booking one of these fares. To me the biggest benefit of being lifetime Platinum is the ability to get exit row seats at no charge. I'll pay the higher fare or fly someone else. As another poster mentioned, Southwest is a better option than these fares.
That's the rub with these fares. I can't imagine booking one either. But since, in many cases, these fare buckets take over the existing cheapest fare, it means people like you and me wind up paying $20-$40 more to continue to get what we get today.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
YOu've got to wonder how people at American wake up and look in the mirror and believe themselves. "Customers have been asking for this". "this allows us to compete". What customer has said, "hey I want less for what I pay today?"
They don't look in the mirror, they look at full planes over at Spirit.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iahphx
But most people also don't pay, so there are usually decent free seat assignments left. That won't likely be the case with AA. MOST pax will already have seat assignments ...
I wonder if that's actually true. It sounds like this may be rolled out first on routes with heavy leisure travel (competing with Spirit etc), in which case I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of pax are lowest-fare flyers.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
rjw242 mentions rolling out these cards in heavily-leisure markets to compete with the likes of NK.

Does anybody know precisely what the ten markets are where this will be rolled out?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I cover it here:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/821538827084988416

(not all members of all groups included therein):

Then 5,6,7,8,9
No idea how they'll be called.
Starting in February at 10 select airports, and later rolling out to more locations we serve, AA boarding will now begin 1hr before departure in order to ensure all customers are on board and seated in time to achieve on-time departure by which we mean door closure and separation from the Jetway. Customers may also enjoy additional time on the Tarmac to experience inspiring views of the adjacent gates. Our premium cabin customers can look forward to 45 min of watching their flight attendants chatting in the galley or checking their social media accounts and busy with other safety-related activities instead of providing pre-departure beverage and coat collection.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
What would the difference in fares between BE and the next level up?
I've seen for some flights LGA-ORD-LGA price as high as $500; if BE were say $200^. But to fly say, JFK-LAX and save $20
In the email I got:
"With Basic Economy, get our lowest Main Cabin fare with the same great* onboard experience including free snacks, soft drinks and entertainment. Plus, you’ll still earn American Airlines AAdvantage® award miles, and elite qualifying credits (EQMs/EQSs) at a reduced rate."
The photo associated with the email shows an in-seat entertainment unit...will all planes have them?
Even in FC, IMHO, the experience is rarely "great".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.