FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1816158-basic-economy-fare-2017-also-ay-ba-ib-incl-elite-benefits-master-thread.html)

JonNYC Jan 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Breaking tons and tons of info on this subject-- and others-- on my Twitter tonight.

I'll self-report this post to mods here so that they can determine which details I should add to this post-- so much new info out tonight!

fanger Jan 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27778472)
Breaking tons and tons of info on this subject-- and others-- on my Twitter tonight.

I'll self-report this post to mods here so that they can determine which details I should add to this post-- so much new info out tonight!

Thanks for the tweets! very interesting- esp. the SWU news ^

dciolli Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27778472)

Thanks Jon! We alays appreciate your updates. Glad to see some positive news (at least for CK and EXP).

869 Jan 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Interesting stuff. Thanks Jon.

CO777 Jan 18, 2017 7:19 am

American Airlines' Basic Economy Fare Feb 2017 (Master thd)

Basic Economy fares will go on sale in February in 10 select markets, with the first flights occurring shortly thereafter and expansion to additional markets expected later this year. Not every American Airlines flight will offer Basic Economy fares.

Here’s a look at what Basic Economy customers can expect:

In-flight experience – The same in-flight experience that all Main Cabin customers receive today, including free entertainment options, soft drinks, and snacks, and the same seats.

Seat assignments – Made automatically and only when customers check in. Paid seat assignments can be purchased 48 hours before the flight.

Upgrades – Not permitted, regardless of elite status level.

Bags – One personal carry-on item that fits under the seat (such as a purse or small backpack) is allowed. No overhead bin luggage may be brought on board. Larger carry-ons such as a rollerboard bag must be checked at the ticket counter for the applicable checked-baggage charge. Basic Economy customers who bring more than an under-seat personal item to the gate will incur regular checked baggage charges plus a $25 gate service charge per bag.

Elite customers and eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers will be allowed to bring one personal item, one rollerboard, and they maintain their current free checked bag allowance.

Boarding – Basic Economy customers will comprise the last boarding group and will be seated in the Main Cabin. Elite customers and eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers will continue to receive Priority or preferred boarding even when purchasing this fare.

Tickets – Non-refundable, non-changeable. Use it or lose it. No same-day flight change or same-day standby.

AAdvantage – Full AAdvantage miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars may be earned when purchasing these fares; however, only one-half Elite Qualifying Mile will be earned per mile flown, and one-half Elite Qualifying Segment per segment flown.

Full Press Release: http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...e/default.aspx

MazdaMP Jan 18, 2017 7:22 am

it begins...

Why not charge Basic Economy customers to bring a large carry-on instead of requiring them to check it?
We hope that limiting carry-ons to a personal item will result in fewer bags in overhead bins. For Basic Economy customers, planning ahead to check a bag at the ticket counter or kiosk ensures a smoother travel experience without worrying about bin space.

dtremit Jan 18, 2017 7:26 am

Notable, and I think different from what UA and DL have announced:

Is this a new fare discount?
In general these fares will be lower than regular Main Cabin fares in the same way that Main Cabin fares are lower than Business Class. The idea is to give customers a choice in the kind of ticket they want to purchase. It’s not a new discount, but a new set of attributes for our lowest fares.
Emphasis mine. In other words, prices will be the same, but you'll get less for them.

phil_flyer Jan 18, 2017 7:33 am

Will elites be able to select seats when using this fare, or are they stuck with that mandatory seat assignment (aka middle seat, row 32)?

JonNYC Jan 18, 2017 7:34 am

Previous discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

JonNYC Jan 18, 2017 7:36 am

Originally Posted by phil_flyer (Post 27780859)
Will elites be able to select seats when using this fare, or are they stuck with that mandatory seat assignment (aka middle seat, row 32)?

Assignment only possible 48 hours before-- everyone pays, no discount or comp for elites.

Also there will now be 9 boarding groups, B.Economy will board in group 9.

The personal item they reference will be 18 x 14 x 8 in and there will be new sizers for same.

jordyn Jan 18, 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by dtremit (Post 27780822)
n other words, prices will be the same, but you'll get less for them.

In practice, this is what DL and UA did anyway. AA is just being more honest.

Having said that, AA's implementation of the "last boarding group" and "only an under-seat carry-on" seems to rely on GAs policing the boarding process much more stringently than I've ever seen. It's hard for me to imagine anything other than the bits that can be enforced by computer (e.g., no upgrades) working in practice.

Lenflyer64 Jan 18, 2017 7:40 am

It will be interesting to see how this works out, since it doesn't appear to be lower fares. I recently flew Delta, for the first time ever, on one of their basic fares. I was worried a bit, but don't get worked up easily, so thought I would give it a whirl. It saved me over 100 from AA's prices, only 30 over Delta's 'regular' economy, but thought why not see what it is all about.
It was wonderful. Everything about it. Once I had to check my carry on, no worries, and the way back there was plenty of room. No extra charge for that. Too bad AA is charging extra. Not thinking it will be great every time, but great first experience.
I have some AA flights coming up as AA was the same or less than Delta, so no, I don't hate AA. :) I'm just one of those that decided to choose what works best for schedule and price now. Maybe these will be okay on AA also. Nice that you can still board with your status/card and have the same baggage allowance. That's nice for those of us that have that.

chicagoflyer1976 Jan 18, 2017 7:48 am

YOu've got to wonder how people at American wake up and look in the mirror and believe themselves. "Customers have been asking for this". "this allows us to compete". What customer has said, "hey I want less for what I pay today?"

This is complete garbage and I can't wait to watch all of this backfire in a few years.

OTD Jan 18, 2017 7:51 am

So, it looks like if you have status or a card, the only differences are seat assignments and EQM/EQSs, right? And refunds, I guess.

JonNYC Jan 18, 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by OTD (Post 27780958)
So, it looks like if you have status or a card, the only differences are seat assignments and EQM/EQSs, right? And refunds, I guess.

Well there's at least one thing of some consequence that's not in the press release that might effect one's choice-- waiting for authority to disclose it.