Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I didn't see this posted in this thread, but we noticed a change in the FAQ for Basic Economy for families traveling with children under the age of 14. This new language appears to have cleaned up a lot of the ambiguity, especially around the "attempt" to seat young children with an adult

37. Will families which include young children be seated together?

American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 14 and under who do not have seat assignments, and seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for main cabin customers.
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...conomy_FAQ.pdf
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:57 pm

I will apologize in advance if this question has already been asked but I spent several minutes searching and couldn't find an answer. Next month I'll be flying the new CLT-MUC route. I selected BE fares as it was ~$348 (from ORD) versus over $700 in Main Cabin. I understand that my Citi AA card doesn't provide a free bag on flights to Europe. Does my newly-minted AA Gold status provide 1 free bag for myself and my partner on the reservation? I know that the Wiki at the beginning of this thread says that AAdvantage Elite bag benefits transfer to BE fares but the AA website isn't clear if this is still the case (my attention was gone after seeing benefits with multiple footnotes). Does anyone have real world experience with this? It's not the end of the world if we share a bag and pay the $60 each way to check it but I'd certainly like to avoid the fee if possible. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
AA elite benefits - Basic Economy sold by BA/operated by AA

Hello - I tried searching, but couldn't find this exact question. I am AA Platinum Pro and am looking at buying a Basic Economy ticket through BA, operated by AA, from LAX to LHR.

Question is: can I still check bags and access Main Cabin Extra for free since I have AA status flying on AA metal?

AA guidelines on Basic Economy MCE: Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.
AA guidelines on Basic Economy baggage: Elite benefits may vary for flights marketed and / or operated by British Airways, Iberia or Finnair. (what does this mean??)
BUT: it looks like AA may not recognize Basic Economy as a class when ticketed by BA?? On their website, the lowest fare class is still called "economy". https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

I'm looking to do this because I need EQD more than EQM and I'll net 2-3x the EQD by ticketing with BA instead of AA for the same overall fare. I just hate to potentially lose out on MCE by not ticketing with AA and the website info is not particularly clear on all of this.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:59 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
As for baggage, the rules apply based on the ticketing airline which is BA in your case. Your PPro/OW Emerald status should give you the free checked baggage, regardless of fare. The MCE seat option will be based on the fare coded on your AA PNR. If it's "B", then you may be out of luck. For earnings, you will get the EQMs based on the BA coded flights.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Hi - thanks for info!

BA website says no luggage on basic economy fare: https://www.britishairways.com/en-de...flyer-benefits

So I'm not convinced OW status gets me anything in this case... but since I plan on flying AA metal, perhaps it won't matter?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:16 am

No checked bags, but you may have access to MCE for free. At least it's the case for me (BA Silver).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Anyone have experience of 'buying up' a B fare when its been booked via Chase UR Portal?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by AAguy1979
I will apologize in advance if this question has already been asked but I spent several minutes searching and couldn't find an answer. Next month I'll be flying the new CLT-MUC route. I selected BE fares as it was ~$348 (from ORD) versus over $700 in Main Cabin. I understand that my Citi AA card doesn't provide a free bag on flights to Europe. Does my newly-minted AA Gold status provide 1 free bag for myself and my partner on the reservation? I know that the Wiki at the beginning of this thread says that AAdvantage Elite bag benefits transfer to BE fares but the AA website isn't clear if this is still the case (my attention was gone after seeing benefits with multiple footnotes). Does anyone have real world experience with this? It's not the end of the world if we share a bag and pay the $60 each way to check it but I'd certainly like to avoid the fee if possible. Thanks!
Your gold status still comes with you even in BE, so that means priority boarding and free checked bag. Enjoy the savings!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:14 am

I am flying from DFW to LGA later today. Just realized my flight is basic economy. Have people had luck boarding with an overhead bag and not getting stopped at the gate? Debating whether to prepay at check-in or take the risk of paying an extra $25 on top of that if stopped at the gate.

Thanks

​​​​
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
I am flying from DFW to LGA later today. Just realized my flight is basic economy. Have people had luck boarding with an overhead bag and not getting stopped at the gate? Debating whether to prepay at check-in or take the risk of paying an extra $25 on top of that if stopped at the gate.

Thanks

​​​​
Why would you be stopped at the gate?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do I understand it correctly that all the elite benefits prevail EXCEPT seat selection when travel on BE fare?

Does OLCI at T-24 get seat assignment or must be at the airport?

I gather there is no seat selection at T-24 even for elites, nor discount in purchase seat selection.

A tentative trip MIA-DCA-MIA the BE is $200 but main cabin is $300 - all for the privilege to select seats for the 2 hr flight when we only have a 5 days short leisure trip hence even overnight bags would do.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Do I understand it correctly that all the elite benefits prevail EXCEPT seat selection when travel on BE fare?

Does OLCI at T-24 get seat assignment or must be at the airport?

I gather there is no seat selection at T-24 even for elites, nor discount in purchase seat selection.

A tentative trip MIA-DCA-MIA the BE is $200 but main cabin is $300 - all for the privilege to select seats for the 2 hr flight when we only have a 5 days short leisure trip hence even overnight bags would do.
you will get seat assignment at T-24. You won’t be able to select any seat for free however, at t-48 you will have an option to pay for it. You earn 50% EQM but the rest of the elite benefits are the same.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000

Thanks

​​​​
there is no 25 dollar surcharge for carry ons on BE fares if it’s gate checked. If there is no space they will gate check you carry on for free to your final destination
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15

you will get seat assignment at T-24. You won’t be able to select any seat for free however, at t-48 you will have an option to pay for it. You earn 50% EQM but the rest of the elite benefits are the same.
Thanks.
After reading the last 5 pages, it seems the later to check in the better. Also one should check the seat map frequently before initiate the check in process. The fee to pay for select seat seems to be $11 for window or aisle.
That is a lot cheaper than the difference between MC and BE, which is $50 or $60 one way.
This thread definitely helps a lot to formulate the strategy when using BE.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by gateH15

there is no 25 dollar surcharge for carry ons on BE fares if it’s gate checked. If there is no space they will gate check you carry on for free to your final destination
And if you have status and get a free checked bag, that still applies. And depending on the gate agent, you *may* get to pick seats, sit together, etc. I had that luck on one leg and not on another, but it was worth the savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.